• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Official 2014 Fall Discussion Thread

jburns

Because of downsloping, I think piedmont areas to the east of Hickory, Lincolnton, Morganton, and Shelby might actually have a better chance of seeing some brief snowfall out of this.  Robert Gamble has an excellent writeup on Facebook this morning (his website is down), and he is optimistic for areas east of the mountains, but it's always a tricky call here when the moisture comes from the NW.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna say there's 0% chance of any piedmont accumulation with these ground temps.  Pretty surprised Brad P put out a map like that.  If anything, people may see some novelty flakes but that's about it

It's not Brad's map.  He just posted it on his variety of social media feeds.  It's from the WPC, and it's not outlandish, but many people don't understand probabilities properly.  According to their calculations, there's only a 5% chance (or less) that snow of up to 1 inch would accumulate in those outer areas; i.e., it's not going to happen 19 out of 20 times in a similar setup.

The latest NAM run is pretty much perfect for a significant NC snowfall. The only problem is it's October lol. I think the mountains will get blasted with some areas in the foothills and piedmont getting trace amounts. Maybe someone lucks out and get's an inch. It would need to be overnight Friday, as the models rush temps up quick as sun as the soon comes out Sat morning.

lol - wow how awesome is it to get a first se shot as some snow and we are discussing it in OCTOBER :) obviously climo should temper expectations but it certainly interesting and nice to see.  nc mtns should be white in a couple of days.  when i saw the explosion in posts did a quick click to the gsp site and saw the watches up lol.  i was pleasantly surprised to see them this early

i think i have seen a few flakes in ne ga in nov, but a few of the tiny ones and late november.  however, even the discussion of flakes mixing in anywhere in the se (outside the mtns) at this point is hard to fathom.  while there is plenty of room for being dubious at this point, it will be interesting to see how it plays out, how the models handle things, etc. as we are approaching winter.  unscientific, but this will hopefully give us an idea of how things *may* play out this winter.  i am certainly rooting for over producing (yes i know its oct/nov but i guess 2 flakes would qualify this early in the season).

seems like some years the models look great only to fall apart as we approach the event, other years they are so-so and look better at the event.  and as long as that horrid and infamous "northwest shift" stays out of the picture maybe the se can get another good winter.

we

the problem with upper SC (northeast of cola) getting snow will be the timing.  most of the moisture will come over as the temps are rising late in the morning unlike CLT and points west where they will have the advantage of colder temps earlier in the morning with the hevaiest precip overhead.  

the problem with upper SC (northeast of cola) getting snow will be the timing.  most of the moisture will come over as the temps are rising late in the morning unlike CLT and points west where they will have the advantage of colder temps earlier in the morning with the hevaiest precip overhead.  

Your probably right, but these things are very tricky to pin down. I got snow last year on nov 12th that we weren't supposed to get. I just can' t believe that this is the remnants of the same storm that brushed Hawaii as a hurricane. 

BMX has a freeze warning 15 miles to my west for tonight and a freeze watch for tomorrow night. FFC has me with temps in the mid 30s the next 2 nights. Something has to give.

FFC will likely trend toward BMX. The strongest cold air avection will be over North Georgia. You will likely see your first freeze this weekend.

BMX has a freeze warning 15 miles to my west for tonight and a freeze watch for tomorrow night. FFC has me with temps in the mid 30s the next 2 nights. Something has to give.

Snowstorm,

I wonder what % of your posts have "FFC" in them. I'm going to place the over/under at 75%. ;) ;) What do you guess?

You owe a lot to FFC for giving you lots of things about which to post. Without FFC, I don't know what you would do. I think you should get them a gift of some sort. ;) Actually, I think FFC loves you because you give them so much attention hehe.

I'm in a silly and good mood because of the cold coming just after 10/31.Sorry if this was off topic, but I couldn't resist. I'm sure there are things I repeat over and over like KATL and climo! So, I owe KATL a gift. Also, KSAV.

..RECORD HALLOWEEN SNOWFALL SET ACROSS CENTRAL AND NORTH CENTRAL
WISCONSIN...

SNOWFALL          PREVIOUS
                          TODAY            SNOWFALL
CITY                     (INCHES)           RECORD         YEAR
----------------------------------------------------------------
RHINELANDER                2.3               0.8           1939
WAUSAU                     1.7               1.6           1932

NOTE...INFORMATION AS OF 10 AM AND IS CONSIDERED PRELIMINARY.

Robert posted this on FB a little while ago. His forecast is out on his site now, good time to sign up for his updates if you haven't already!  :snowing:

"******* WIINTER OUTLOOK 2014 - 2015 ******* 

Another Harsh Winter. Warm Oceans =Cold Continents. I'm forecasting another wicked Winter in the central and eastern US, following last year's cold Winter. This time, a "split-flow" and active storm track will create a few periods where even the Deep South can get into ice and Snow. There's a lot of reasons I went with this kind of setup, and pointed those out at the site. 
Western Ridging, Eventual Greenland and Eastern Canada blocking should force very large Continental Arctic Highs back down into the United States, again. Two main storm tracks are likely, one through the lower Midwest, the other from the Gulf of Mexico up the East Coast. This type of pattern was common in the 1960s, the late 1970s, early 1980s and in 2009/10...so if you recall those years, you will get a stark reminder of the Wrath of Ol' Man Winter."

post-594-0-18240900-1414775889_thumb.jpg

Robert posted this on FB a little while ago. His forecast is out on his site now, good time to sign up for his updates if you haven't already!  :snowing:

"******* WIINTER OUTLOOK 2014 - 2015 ******* 

Another Harsh Winter. Warm Oceans =Cold Continents. I'm forecasting another wicked Winter in the central and eastern US, following last year's cold Winter. This time, a "split-flow" and active storm track will create a few periods where even the Deep South can get into ice and Snow. There's a lot of reasons I went with this kind of setup, and pointed those out at the site. 

Western Ridging, Eventual Greenland and Eastern Canada blocking should force very large Continental Arctic Highs back down into the United States, again. Two main storm tracks are likely, one through the lower Midwest, the other from the Gulf of Mexico up the East Coast. This type of pattern was common in the 1960s, the late 1970s, early 1980s and in 2009/10...so if you recall those years, you will get a stark reminder of the Wrath of Ol' Man Winter."

love split flow - right set up and bam! lol - also liking that several mets have had a storm track around the gulf across southern ga/n fl off the coast.  those tracks can be great for se storms (snow and ice if we have a wedge with a GOM storm)

Archived