Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hailstorm,

I could be wrong here, but I believe that the analogs I've seen for bad winters that followed October/November snowfall were mainly from any October snows or early November. I also remember them being grossly exaggerated. Assuming that the winters following were subpar, I'm not sure if it'd apply to this one coming anyway. It is literally just days away from the start of December. Getting accumulating snow very late November I would think is the equivalent of getting snow very early April. It's unlikely to occur early November, and unlikely to occur late April.

I recently started making French press coffee and grinding my own beans. It takes quite some time compared to using my Keurig, but it makes a fuller, muddier cup of coffee (more complexity and flavor). Only problem is I've heard it's pretty damn bad for you, raising bad cholesterol levels and reducing the good since the press only filters out large grinds and not the oils. But, I'm sure you can type just about any food into google followed by "unhealthy" and find links to sites telling you why this and that will destroy you

Guys, I'm all for snow and all, but I am personally not rooting for any accumulation more than 4" in NYC. If we get more than 4", then we will enter the lackluster winter analogs for overall snowfall since heavy November / October snowfalls correlate to mild winters.

I am more interested in the pattern for early December to see if it will remain stormy. If it is stormy with coastal storms, then we are looking good for the rest of December. It wouldn't matter if we entered a warmer period to start December so long as it does not get dry. In my view, we need to follow last December and November almost to the script if we want a good winter. So far, we are right on script with this November. View these links to see how amazingly similar they are:

November 2013:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNYC/2013/11/8/MonthlyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA 

November 2014:

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNYC/2014/11/8/MonthlyHistory.html#calendar 

Ive always kind of shared that view, but looking more closely the sample size is just too small. There were just three Novembers with more than 4" for NYC in the last 100 years.  And those three averaged 25.6" for the winter, so not far from average.

Throw in that '95/'96 had 2.9" in November and didn't turn out all that bad..

Ive always kind of shared that view, but looking more closely the sample size is just too small. There were just three Novembers with more than 4" for NYC in the last 100 years.  And those three averaged 25.6" for the winter, so not far from average.

Throw in that '95/'96 had 2.9" in November and didn't turn out all that bad..

more years than not had above average snowfall when November had 4" or more but most of the Decembers had less snow than November...

year...Nov...Dec...season...

1882...14.0".....T.....44.0"

1892.....6.3"...3.0"...49.7"

1896.....5.0" 13.0"...43.6"

1898...19.0"...1.5"...55.9"

1938...12.8"...1.7"...37.3"

1989.....4.7"...1.4"...13.4"

2012.....4.7"...0.4"...26.1"

I recently started making French press coffee and grinding my own beans. It takes quite some time compared to using my Keurig, but it makes a fuller, muddier cup of coffee (more complexity and flavor). Only problem is I've heard it's pretty damn bad for you, raising bad cholesterol levels and reducing the good since the press only filters out large grinds and not the oils. But, I'm sure you can type just about any food into google followed by "unhealthy" and find links to sites telling you why this and that will destroy you

French press or drip filter (poured slowly) is the best way to make coffee. I think you want the oils; that's where the flavor comes from, and probably a lot of the anti-cancer properties. My roommate and I always used to make a pot using the French press when I got home from work. I don't own one so I use the drip filter with fresh ground coffee almost exclusively. Grinding your own beans also makes a massive difference over buying pre-ground coffee.

more years than not had above average snowfall when November had 4" or more but most of the Decembers had less snow than November...

year...Nov...Dec...season...

1882...14.0".....T.....44.0"

1892.....6.3"...3.0"...49.7"

1896.....5.0" 13.0"...43.6"

1898...19.0"...1.5"...55.9"

1938...12.8"...1.7"...37.3"

1989.....4.7"...1.4"...13.4"

2012.....4.7"...0.4"...26.1"

You're right, looks like more influence on December than the full season. Hopefully won't be the case, think a lot of us would rather have snow in December

French press or drip filter (poured slowly) is the best way to make coffee. I think you want the oils; that's where the flavor comes from, and probably a lot of the anti-cancer properties. My roommate and I always used to make a pot using the French press when I got home from work. I don't own one so I use the drip filter with fresh ground coffee almost exclusively. Grinding your own beans also makes a massive difference over buying pre-ground coffee.

I got a Bodum 8-cup French press on sale at Starbucks actually (reg 40 or so) for just $25 and I got this grinder http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Mill-Slim-Grinder/dp/B001804CLY

It was a good investment ! It's fun trying all different whole bean coffees. For a few weeks I was trying out the "bulletproof" coffee (butter added and blended). It tastes pretty good, very frothy. However, I've gone back to drinking the coffee black, so I expect to never go back to the other lol. I'm a huge fan of tea also

Caution is the keyword with this setup especially since it is November and the water temps are still warm and there will not be any cold enough air in place for all frozen before the storm arrives.Cold air does begin to arrive as the storm develops - but exact track and speed of the storm is key here and if it really starts bombing out in good location to support heavier precip will aid in getting the cold air down to the surface - don't be surprised if it is raining in the metro and it is snowing first to the south of us as what happened in the November 2012 storm - even though we are only about 72 - 78 hours away from the expected start of precip many questions remain to be answered 

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KNYC

Archived