• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

Can you imagine what the forums(if they existed) would have been like between the 13th and Christmas of that year?

Thank you Uncle W. I was going on five and the 3.3 inches of glop has pinged an old Dyker Heights memory.

Rich

I was only two at the time and don't remember the mid December 1951 storm...But a neighbor of mine took home movies the day after and there was some snow and ice on the ground...If we had two rainstorms in the middle of a cold spell like that it would be interesting to say the least on these forums...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a lot of panic going on in the NE subforums though likely exaggerated. I strongly feel something's going to go wrong this winter because I've learned it's never a good thing when you have almost everyone agreeing on the same outcome. That's a bad omen to a busted forecast. 

November can torch all it wants because in the end it doesn't matter but I'm sure it'll only stir that panic drum further. You don't want to see 60s and 70s showing up in November.

Looks like a lot of panic going on in the NE subforums though likely exaggerated. I strongly feel something's going to go wrong this winter because I've learned it's never a good thing when you have almost everyone agreeing on the same outcome. That's a bad omen to a busted forecast. 

November can torch all it wants because in the end it doesn't matter but I'm sure it'll only stir that panic drum further. You don't want to see 60s and 70s showing up in November.

?

2002 had two consecutive evenings with rain and sleet that accumulated in spots on Staten Island...2002-03 had almost 50" of snow...1925 had some snow late in October and the winter got 32" of snow with two 10"+ storms in one February week...One winter analog is 1951-52...1951 had some wild November temperature swings that lasted thru December...It had a very la nina like pattern that year...

some daily's from 1951...It was a wild ride...November had some very cold periods for early and late in the month but December started out as warm as any year to date...It had a storm at mid month that was a mix at times...3.3" of everything fell...a cold wave after that...Two inland running storms during the cold period produced temporary warmth and rain...A wild temperature ride for the two months...It looks like a lack of coastal storms during the period and also during the winter months...I'm not expecting this to happen again...It is an interesting two months of weather and it shows how much wasted cold you can have in two months...when a storm tracks west of us the temperature can go as high as the 60's...This happened in 2000 during a cold December month...

November...51

day...max min rain snow

3....60...32...1.50...T...start of four straight days with a min. 32 or lower...near record cold...

7....64...46...1.02...0...storm to the west...

18..42...29......T.....0......another four day cold spell...

19..35...26......T.....T

28..37...22.........................coldest temperature of the month...

December.....1951

6....63...51...0.40..............spring like rains...

8....64...52...0.02...............five days 60 degrees or above...

9....57...44......T

11..40...31......T

13..30...25...0.01.....T

15..39...20...0.86.....3.3"....everything fell but the kitchen sink...

19..48...22...1.10...............storm to our west...

21..57...22...1.35...............storm to our west...

22..52...30......T

That is one depressing almanac.  Imagine the irritability of this community if that ever came to pass again?

Joe Cioffi says low 40's at best for highs.

"hello, is this the lead forecaster for nws upton? i'm calling to let you know you have highs in the 50's forecast for this weekend but JOE CIOFFI is calling for low 40's at best. you need to adjust now!!!"

Of course the current so called storm thread is turning into another disaster with terrible analysis - name calling - banter- etc etc it is becoming totally unreadable - would be nice if the mods start the 5 posting or banning or whatever now before we start tracking real threats in a few weeks .............

Shut it weenie

Just kidding... :icecream:  :thumbsup:  :P

Of course the current so called storm thread is turning into another disaster with terrible analysis - name calling - banter- etc etc it is becoming totally unreadable - would be nice if the mods start the 5 posting or banning or whatever now before we start tracking real threats in a few weeks .............

Fear not i think earthlight will be asserting his authority this upcoming winter. Weenies gonna weenie out my friend! Worst thing that happened was the models showing snow at the coast for a time and the weenies cometh out of the wood work :lol:

Archived