• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2014 Banter Thread

IsentropicLift

His moderating style was very strict, which had both positives and negatives. For one, he would never allow the type of banter that plauges many of the storm threads around here these days.

I agree he was strict, but there will always be some sort of banter in the storm threat threads that we have. They're can be a good bit of banter/non-constructive comments in the threads during the winter but last year it wasnt rampant. The Storm Mode worked out really well as it helped streamline the threads and caused "less" server lag/ crashing

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree he was strict, but there will always be some sort of banter in the storm threat threads that we have. They're can be a good bit of banter/non-constructive comments in the threads during the winter but last year it wasnt rampant. The Storm Mode worked out really well as it helped streamline the threads and caused "less" server lag/ crashing

Yes and no, I know JM spent a good deal of time deleting comments and it has to get overwhelming to the point where it becomes a full time job leading up to a big storm

Yes and no, I know JM spent a good deal of time deleting comments and it has to get overwhelming to the point where it becomes a full time job leading up to a big storm

Yea the EURO runs were the absolute worst. JM1220 did a good job last year along with dsnow and earthlight as well. Have to expect that as a small part of us could actually contribute something noteworthy since the majority are just weather enthusiasts.

That said this winter so far does look pretty good but we wont be getting a good handle till november. Me personally im looking forward to that first 384hr GFS from Snow88 to officially start my winter season

Yea the EURO runs were the absolute worst. JM1220 did a good job last year along with dsnow and earthlight as well. Have to expect that as a small part of us could actually contribute something noteworthy since the majority are just weather enthusiasts.

That said this winter so far does look pretty good but we wont be getting a good handle till november. Me personally im looking forward to that first 384hr GFS from Snow88 to officially start my winter season

I was only a mod for the one event last winter but it was frustrating having to delete all the one-word, troll and bust posts. Hopefully this winter's better. Also, that event (Feb 13th) was agonizing locally as it snowed for hours more just a few towns north of me while the immediate coast got soaked.

just my input here since it is being discussed. 

I think the moderating in this forum is pretty good. I dont really agree with people that want to do away with any and all banter. We are humans, and excited posts and raw emotions add the human element that i think is needed to keep the threads alive and get people ready for the storm.

I think most can agree the type of posts that need to be deleted are people who post BUST 20 minutes into the storm because they dont have 5 inches on the ground already. Or troll posts from people who are not receiving the storm nearby or another sub forum. Or the constant arguing over semantics 5 days out. And finally, people who compare every storm to a mega blizzard and on the flip side, those who think its never going to snow again.

Overall, i think most banter posts are find as long as they are in good nature and about the storm I think where it gets over the top is when people start to troll or make ridiculous assertions way in advance. After all, we are not robots.

+1. It is inevitable. 

+1. It is inevitable. 

Banter is fine as long as it's respectful and adds something to the discussion. It's extremely frustrating to have to wade through posters' flame wars, fights over interpretation of model runs, people just generally acting like first graders, "Bust :( ", etc. The rule is that you should act the way you should act as an adult, and not devolve the thread into garbage. Our subforum has a bad reputation for it and hopefully we put it to bed this winter. 

I would really like to see more meteorology this year than bullseye talk and brawls . Many a fight has occurred over a single model run and who is " seeing the most snow " . JM is right there many who take this board so apart because of vitriol and immaturity. I hope everyone realizes hundreds may read your post leading up to a storm and i hope a real effort be made not to base your post attacking another member but rather an opinion that you can at least back up .

No one likes a den mother however earth and JM seem to referee here too many times.

. Just read ur post a post a few times before you hit post

I like DJF for CPK minus 2 and 40 inches. Less than last year but still above normal.

Let's hope I bust. LOW

I would really like to see more meteorology this year than bullseye talk and brawls . Many a fight has occurred over a single model run and who is " seeing the most snow " . JM is right there many who take this board so apart because of vitriol and immaturity. I hope everyone realizes hundreds may read your post leading up to a storm and i hope a real effort be made not to base your post attacking another member but rather an opinion that you can at least back up .

No one likes a den mother however earth and JM seem to referee here too many times.

. Just read ur post a post a few times before you hit post

I like DJF for CPK minus 2 and 40 inches. Less than last year but still above normal.

Let's hope I bust. LOW

Banter is fine as long as it's respectful and adds something to the discussion. It's extremely frustrating to have to wade through posters' flame wars, fights over interpretation of model runs, people just generally acting like first graders, "Bust :( ", etc. The rule is that you should act the way you should act as an adult, and not devolve the thread into garbage. Our subforum has a bad reputation for it and hopefully we put it to bed this winter. 

I get what you mean, but at the same time, who are we trying to impress here? 

Ill admit some of my material posted last year was banter in the storm threads and apologize for that. That said im going to try my best at my amatuer level to contribute constructively this year to the storm discussions. PB GFI as usual looking forward to your analysis/ forecasts since last year you were pretty damn accurate!

Ill admit some of my material posted last year was banter in the storm threads and apologize for that. That said im going to try my best at my amatuer level to contribute constructively this year to the storm discussions. PB GFI as usual looking forward to your analysis/ forecasts since last year you were pretty damn accurate!

It amazes me the posters that come out of the woodwork after months of hibernation and unfortunately most offer little to the forum... Hey will there be school tomorrow? How much snow for east bumbleburg? When's the Nam come out? Lonnie Quinn said 30-36"!

Archived