Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Post Tropical Cristobal

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the tight core tropical snobs don't appreciate activity in the sub-tropics but it has been an exciting few years here in the northeast between Irene, Sandy and a few other close misses. Hoping to get some more late recurving east coast threats before the door closes and the pattern shifts back to the deep tropics.

963 in Iceland per GFS, warm seclusion ET, surf was fantastic today in RI

0828141308b.jpg

Solid Overhead Sets Yesterday Morning at 1'st Beach Newport. Thankfully they were letting people "swim at own risk" ...waves were breaking in about 8 feet of water, a bit deeper on the "occasional" larger sets.

Today (11am) Cristobal is now moving 44 mph and transitioned to extra-tropical but still carrying minimum Hurricane force winds.

Swell is going to peak tomorrow morning. We kept the beach open to swimming at jones beach today with minimal rescues. Tomorrow the water will be closed to swimming as that giant captured fetch swell will be pumping onto and up over the beach.

The captured fetch that was produced as it moved straight north will be on par with what you expect with a storm moving away that is much more intense aka what southern calli has been getting from a former cat 5. The east coast shelf will reduce raw power as opposed to calli so even with a similar size swell we shouldn't see waves anywhere near that size.

Still this is an absolutely ideal track for waves on the south facing beaches of the north east. I can't sleep due to adrenaline pumping to surf at first light!

I was at Field 6 Jones Beach today.  You could see where the water went up to at the height of the wave action, and there were still some tidal pools left over in low spots.  The water line was WAY up the beach from the normal high tide.

Archived