joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Christobal

downeastnc

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the above map, you can clearly see a front in the Midwest , the tming on that trough is just another factor. If its faster it may be able to pick up whatever 96l is and turn it out to sea. Alot of factors and possibilities with this one, will be fun to track!

For me the benchmark I look for is 75 west once its west of there it has to go east at some point in order to miss the US....but plenty of them have so its by no means a guarantee that it will hit.....

reading the main thread and looks like the planes have pressure around 1002 MB so this will most likely go straight to TS Christobal later today I bet, looks like this thing could do any number of things still....if that front mid week isn't as strong or slower than progged this thing might come right up the east coast a la Floyd....or go into Florida then into the east GOM

Also the local NWS had this little tidbit in the long range part of the AFD

WPC AND PREVIOUS FORECAST FOR WEDNESDAY
THROUGH FRIDAY WHICH PROVED TO BE VERY TRICKY AS MUCH DEPENDS ON
THE DEVELOPMENT/LOCATION OF A POSSIBLE TROPICAL CYCLONE.

reading the main thread and looks like the planes have pressure around 1002 MB so this will most likely go straight to TS Christobal later today I bet, looks like this thing could do any number of things still....if that front mid week isn't as strong or slower than progged this thing might come right up the east coast a la Floyd....or go into Florida then into the east GOM

Also the local NWS had this little tidbit in the long range part of the AFD

WPC AND PREVIOUS FORECAST FOR WEDNESDAY

THROUGH FRIDAY WHICH PROVED TO BE VERY TRICKY AS MUCH DEPENDS ON

THE DEVELOPMENT/LOCATION OF A POSSIBLE TROPICAL CYCLONE.

Agreed looks like the low pressure continues to strengthen.

From near the center:

2eyarcx.jpg

From the NW quadrant:

25jkq5f.jpg

Looks like the Hurricane Hunters are finding winds of 31 mph in the NW quadrant.  TD criteria is 39mph so it is certainly possible and imo likely that this will be named Cristobal at some point today or tonight.

12z GFS coming in off the coast of FL with a sped up trough, whereas it took the low pressure through the center of FL on the 06z.  Looks like it is correcting somewhat OTS but not sure if it effects the OBX or not.  Clearly I am not rooting for that but if this storm gets near the gulf stream watch out.

Most likely scenario still Appears to be a recurve missing the US. There is obviously still a lot this thing could do but again most seem to be taking the fish track as most probable.

I dunno the trend overnight has been to the left and depending on where the center forms we could still see a SE hit fairly easily I think, most model initialize the center more NE of where it appears most likely to form AT THIS TIME, of course that could change but I would say the threat to the US is higher now than it was 24 hrs ago based on model trends.....

I dunno the trend overnight has been to the left and depending on where the center forms we could still see a SE hit fairly easily I think, most model initialize the center more NE of where it appears most likely to form AT THIS TIME, of course that could change but I would say the threat to the US is higher now than it was 24 hrs ago based on model trends.....

Even if it hits the SE coast (most likely S FL and/or NC as of now for any possible direct hits due to shape of coast & atmospheric setup), it may have challenges to getting to cane status (i. e., despite a climo. favorable position & time of year, very warm SST's, not much dry air, & low enough sheer ). I say this for two reasons: very large size initially would likely prevent too rapid an intensif. process & it is projected to slow down so much near Bahamas that much upwelling would occur. The strongest storms are usually not very slow movers as the slow movement really eats away at warm SST's since it takes so much heat away. For those who want a stronger storm, your better bet would be a not so slow movement IMO. Be that as it may, I'm not predicting its strength right now as this will be tough. Just don't be surprised if it stays a TS despite some pretty favorable factors.

Edit: Now, if this were to somehow make it over to the Gulf, that would be a different story as a cane would be favored IMO.

Even if it hits the SE coast (most likely S FL and/or NC as of now for any possible direct hits due to shape of coast & atmospheric setup), it may have challenges to getting to cane status (i. e., despite a climo. favorable position & time of year, very warm SST's, not much dry air, & low enough sheer ). I say this for two reasons: very large size initially would likely prevent too rapid an intensif. process & it is projected to slow down so much near Bahamas that much upwelling would occur. The strongest storms are usually not very slow movers as the slow movement really eats away at warm SST's since it takes so much heat away. For those who want a stronger storm, your better bet would be a not so slow movement IMO. Be that as it may, I'm not predicting its strength right now as this will be tough. Just don't be surprised if it stays a TS despite some pretty favorable factors.

Edit: Now, if this were to somehow make it over to the Gulf, that would be a different story as a cane would be favored IMO.

Really it depends, the thing about the water off the SE coast is that the GS constantly resupplies warm water so depending on where it is upwelling may or may not be that big of a deal, my opinion on this is the faster it goes the more likely it is to get into the SE coast as it will get in ahead of the stronger influence of the mid week trough.....but faster to me would also mean perhaps weaker depending on speed.

If they do classify this afternoon I am going to love to see what the NHC does with it around day 5 lol....

RAH mentions the Invest this afternoon...

A LARGE DEGREE OF UNCERTAINTY EXISTS FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE WEEK...AS THIS PART OF THE FORECAST IS LARGELY DEPENDENT ON WHAT HAPPENS WITH INVEST 96L. TRACK MODELS HAVE BEEN QUITE SCATTERED AND LITTLE AGREEMENT AMONG THE GEFS/NAEFS MEMBERS. HOWEVER...ITS WORTH NOTING THAT THE TREND IN THE OPERATIONAL GFS HAS BEEN DEVELOPMENT AND SLOW NORTHWARD MOVEMENT E OF FL DURING THE FIRST HALF OF THE WEEK...THEN MOVING NNE ALONG BUT REMAINING OFF THE CAROLINA COAST LATE IN THE WEEK. THE LATEST ECMWF IS SIMILAR WITH THE EVOLUTION OF THIS SYSTEM...BUT IS FASTER AND ITS TRACK REMAINS FURTHER OFF THE COAST...SHOWING THE LOW MOVING NE AWAY FROM THE EAST COAST ON THURSDAY. ESSENTIALLY BOTH OF THESE SOLUTIONS WOULD KEEP CENTRAL NC FAR ENOUGH WEST OF THE SYSTEM SUCH THAT OUR AREA WOULD REMAIN IN FAIR WEATHER DURING THE SECOND HALF OF THE WEEK. TAKING THAT SYSTEM OUT OF THE PICTURE...OUR NEXT CHANCE FOR WET WEATHER WOULD COME DURING THE WEEKEND ASSOCIATED WITH EITHER THE NEXT TROUGH IN THE WESTERLIES (PER GFS) OR INCREASING MOISTURE IN THE RETURN FLOW AROUND THE RIDGE (PER THE ECWMF). IN SUMMARY...LOTS OF UNCERTAINTY FOR THE SECOND HALF OF THE LONG TERM...SO WILL STICK CLOSE TO CLIMO FOR TEMPS AND PERHAPS A LITTLE LOWER THAN CLIMO FOR POPS DURING THIS TIME.  

taken from main thread... Per HPC afternoon discussion, NHC is going with the more southwest solutions.

REGARDING POSSIBLE TROPICAL DEVELOPMENT AFFECTING
U.S...COORDINATION WITH THE NHC RESULTED IN A BLEND OF FORECAST
CONTINUITY WITH THE SOUTHWESTERN HALF OF THE GUIDANCE ENVELOPE
THAT BRINGS POSSIBLE TROPICAL DEVELOPMENT NEAR THE SOUTH
CAROLINA/NORTH CAROLINA COAST BY DAYS 5-6/THU-FRI BUT REMAINS
SLIGHTLY OFFSHORE. THE BLEND RESULTED FROM EXCLUDING THE 00Z
ECMWF/00Z CANADIAN AND SOME NORTHERN ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEMBERS FROM
STRONG CONSIDERATION DUE TO DIFFERENCES IN THE THEIR RESPECTIVE
SHORTWAVE/LONGWAVE PATTERNS FROM THE MODEL CONSENSUS PARTICULARLY
THE ENSEMBLE MEANS OVER THE WESTERN ATLANTIC. THE SOLUTIONS USED
TO BLEND WITH CONTINUITY INCLUDED THE 06Z GEFS MEAN/12Z GFS/SOME
SOUTHWESTERN MEMBERS OF THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN