• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 27 Severe Weather Threat

Dsnowx53

The 17Z HRRR had a pretty good handle on the storms in eastern Ohio, if only a touch slow. Weakens them after about 02Z-03Z as they cross eastern PA, then shows them re-firing around 07Z-08Z as they approach NYC. Been there done that before. Long midnight shift ahead?!?

Any concern with regards to rotation ? Or is the bigger threat hail ?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 17Z HRRR had a pretty good handle on the storms in eastern Ohio, if only a touch slow. Weakens them after about 02Z-03Z as they cross eastern PA, then shows them re-firing around 07Z-08Z as they approach NYC. Been there done that before. Long midnight shift ahead?!?

lers see how the HRRR performs this go around it was terrible with the "potential severe "event a couple of weeks ago that didn't pan out

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
436 PM EDT SUN JUL 27 2014

...TORNADO CONFIRMED NEAR WOLCOTT IN NEW HAVEN COUNTY
CONNECTICUT...

LOCATION...WOLCOTT IN NEW HAVEN COUNTY CONNECTICUT
DATE...JULY 27 2014
ESTIMATED TIME...1250-1256 PM EDT
MAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0
ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...80-85 MPH
MAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...100 YDS
PATH LENGTH...0.62 MILES
BEGINNING LAT/LON...41.606 N / 72.983 W
ENDING LAT/LON...41.622 N / 72.973 W
* FATALITIES...0
* INJURIES...0

* THE INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TO
CHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENT(S) AND PUBLICATION IN
NWS STORM DATA.

...SUMMARY...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK NY HAS CONFIRMED A
TORNADO NEAR WOLCOTT IN NEW HAVEN COUNTY CONNECTICUT ON
JULY 27 2014.

A WEAK EF-0 TORNADO TOUCHED DOWN IN WOLCOTT CT SUNDAY AFTERNOON.
THE PATH BEGAN NEAR THE INTERSECTION OF MINOR ROAD AND CENTER
STREET WHERE A TREE WAS UPROOTED AND FACING WEST.
CONVERGENT...INTERMITTENT TREE DAMAGE CONTINUED ALONG A PATH TO
THE NORTHEAST TO WOLCOTT HIGH SCHOOL. LARGE FIXED SPORTS EQUIPMENT
WAS THROWN ACROSS A FIELD...AND A FENCE LINE WAS BLOWN DOWN TO THE
WEST. SEVERAL TREES WERE ALSO TOPPED. FURTHER TO THE NORTHEAST ON
KALKO DRIVE SEVERAL TREES WERE DOWNED BY THE TORNADO...AND A LARGE
TREE FELL ON A TRAILER. THE TORNADO LIFTED AROUND STAGECOACH LANE
WHERE A TREE WAS UPROOTED AND FELL TO THE WEST ONTO A HOME.

THIS INFORMATION CAN ALSO BE FOUND ON OUR WEBSITE AT
WEATHER.GOV/NYC.

FOR REFERENCE...THE ENHANCED FUJITA SCALE CLASSIFIES TORNADOES
INTO THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:

EF0...WIND SPEEDS 65 TO 85 MPH.
EF1...WIND SPEEDS 86 TO 110 MPH.
EF2...WIND SPEEDS 111 TO 135 MPH.
EF3...WIND SPEEDS 136 TO 165 MPH.
EF4...WIND SPEEDS 166 TO 200 MPH.
EF5...WIND SPEEDS GREATER THAN 200 MPH.

$

By late night/early morning looks like more of a heavy rain and isolated damaging wind/tornado threat if those storms can regenerate upon encountering the low level jet. Almost a classic NYC/Long Island morning tornado setup given surface low pressure to the west, a warm front nearby with a strengthening 925-mb low level coastal jet, decent surface-based instability, and a very moist atmosphere with PW near 2 inches and low LCL's. Would like to see more low level warm advection to increase both 0-3 km CAPE and veering of winds with height, but the magnitude of 0-1 km shear should be there.

Are we honestly still expected to get severe weather or is this another bust?

maybe the warmer Cheesapeake and Delaware Bays this time of the year will save the the severe threat here during the early morning hours by sending higher DP air this way ???- also I want to apologize for the busting balloon video that was deleted by a mod - I just thought it was fun to watch  :facepalm:

also mikethehobbyists prediction of severe weatherfor breakfast might come true tomorrow if you get up early ernough with the possiblity some of us might be eating it flying through the air :twister:  - if billgwx possible tornadoes verify

maybe the warmer Cheesapeake and Delaware Bays this time of the year will save the the severe threat here during the early morning hours by sending higher DP air this way ???- also I want to apologize for the busting balloon video that was deleted by a mod - I just thought it was fun to watch :facepalm:

also mikethehobbyists prediction of severe weatherfor breakfast might come true tomorrow if you get up early ernough with the possiblity some of us might be eating it flying through the air - if billgwx possible tornadoes verify

When was the last time we saw severe after midnight?

I am beginning to get worried about later tonight - that we will get severe weather here as there seems to be a lack of interest in this event - wouldn't it be ironic if this turns out to be the highlight of the severe weather this season and very few are posting here  ?

there are many ingredients present including a very strong LLJ which could trigger the event with the influx of high dew points coming off the cheesapeake/delaware bay region

When was the last time we saw severe after midnight?

In 2009, about a week before the conference, we had a TOR-warned cell in northern Nassau just after midnight.  I drove up the Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway to Syosset, and got caught in quarter size hail and 55-60 mph winds.

I have to agree with this just being heavy rain. Radar doesn't look impressive at all... Also if we had a chance at severe storms overnight I would think we would have a watch issued. .

Archived