SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
7/27 Severe Threat Discussion and Obs

Kmlwx

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sterlings AFD's now are like a cruel joke. Supercells. psssh. 

Stuff in northern WV has a chance if it doesn't fall apart like everything else. 

Stuff is forming to the west. Maybe just maybe. 

Mountains killing WV stuff again. I am just giving in. 

Cells went from red and some purple to yellow and orange. Slowly weakening.

:facepalm:

About .25" early Sunday morning (no thunder) and maybe a tenth or so late last night.  Had strong lightning within 2 miles north and south of me for about 2 hours last night.  The radar wasn't very impressive, yet that was some serious lightning.  On my 6 mile drive south to work I could see the common roadside puddles start in the usual places about 1 mile south of my house.  I live in a very bad location if you like precipitation.  At least the rains fell at night so that what did fall got to stay in the ground longer.  My grass isn't looking too shabby lately.

I got a brief thunderstorm between 12:30-1:00 a.m. and picked up .38. The highlight of last night, so to speak, was watching distant flashes from the Mason Dixon lightning, and later the Baltimore Co. action low across the western horizon was pretty nice. Otherwise meh but glad for the rain.

A lot of corn is planted in S-Central PA which promotes quick absorption of rainfall.  We get flash flooding, but to get true large scale flooding you need about 6" of rain basin-wide.

lol.  I wasn't being literal.  I was jokingly referring to what seems like the recurring (every) summer theme of storms up there.  I swear, every day i look at the radar and it seems like there is a line of storms stretching the entire N-S span of the state, usually stopping right near the mason-dixon.  and that MPE map above illustrates it perfectly.

lol.  I wasn't being literal.  I was jokingly referring to what seems like the recurring (every) summer theme of storms up there.  I swear, every day i look at the radar and it seems like there is a line of storms stretching the entire N-S span of the state, usually stopping right near the mason-dixon.  and that MPE map above illustrates it perfectly.

Durp, my bad.  I did some research on that when I was finishing my undergrad in Geography using GIS (Geographic Information System) software.  There was a a weak to moderate correlation with the steeper slopes of the Appalachian Mts. enhancing rainfall in the late evening / overnight as it compensates for the reduced instability.

Durp, my bad.  I did some research on that when I was finishing my undergrad in Geography using GIS (Geographic Information System) software.  There was a a weak to moderate correlation with the steeper slopes of the Appalachian Mts. enhancing rainfall in the late evening / overnight as it compensates for the reduced instability.

Cool insight.  I knew there was something to my anecdotal obs.

Lo and behold, the current radar shows what?  A line of showers / storms stretching from the SW to the NE corner of the state.  South of the M/D line.... not much.

Archived