• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
19 Yrs ago today

Was it in the early evening? I recall a very nasty event in late July early August 1992 the night Flushing Meadows park supposedly had a tornado touchdown briefly...that same evening there was a tornado warning for Nassau county and it was mainly the southeast portion of it that was at risk. The sky was as green as I can ever remember seeing it for a severe weather event when I was in Queens around 730-8pm. It was one of only 2 severe events during that 1992 summer, 8/11/92 was the other one.

Sucks we're not in an area that can consistently see severe thunderstorms. Not so much tornados but some great lightning, winds and small hail (not damaging because that is just a nuesance)

Was it in the early evening? I recall a very nasty event in late July early August 1992 the night Flushing Meadows park supposedly had a tornado touchdown briefly...that same evening there was a tornado warning for Nassau county and it was mainly the southeast portion of it that was at risk. The sky was as green as I can ever remember seeing it for a severe weather event when I was in Queens around 730-8pm. It was one of only 2 severe events during that 1992 summer, 8/11/92 was the other one.

Yes late afternoon/early evening. Otherwise I have no idea when it was. I was between 6-10 years old (guessing).

Yes late afternoon/early evening. Otherwise I have no idea when it was. I was between 6-10 years old (guessing).

I got to Merrick in late 1992 and the only hail event I ever saw was 5/29/95, we got slammed for about 10 minutes with pea sized hail around midnight or 1am, it was bad enough it did minor damage to the shingles on many of the houses...so its likely you've got the years right, definitely summer of 92 or earlier.

I got to Merrick in late 1992 and the only hail event I ever saw was 5/29/95, we got slammed for about 10 minutes with pea sized hail around midnight or 1am, it was bad enough it did minor damage to the shingles on many of the houses...so its likely you've got the years right, definitely summer of 92 or earlier.

Had pea sized hail in North Merrick in 1997 or 1998 one summer afternoon (don't remember the exact date). Other than that it's a hail free "zone". Any other time I've seen hail I've been north of the northern state parkway.

west/wnw flow aloft with a small kink in the pressure field near LI

072321.png

That was a good severe weather summer, I believe that was the same month LGA had the cycling microburst storm sit over them for 1 hour producing 80 and 90 mph winds repeatedly while 3 miles away nothing happened

Archived