joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2014

SACRUS

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely does look like smoke to me. Sunny with a milky white backdrop. Last time I remember a smoke filled sky was my trip to Newport RI back in August of 2003 from the Canadian fires.

in 2002 it looked like fog in the NYC area

Canadian, Euro, and increasingly the GFS are making Saturday wetter. I'm hesitant to say "washout" right now because it's still 4 days away, but the weekend doesn't look great for outdoor plans due to the front being hung up near the coast and ridge retrograding west. Sunday looks to have a lot of showers/storms around as well.

Canadian, Euro, and increasingly the GFS are making Saturday wetter. I'm hesitant to say "washout" right now because it's still 4 days away, but the weekend doesn't look great for outdoor plans due to the front being hung up near the coast and ridge retrograding west. Sunday looks to have a lot of showers/storms around as well.

Yanksfan should be all over it ;-)

Yesterday was only a -2 at NYC and a +1 at JFK. ISP was +3.

We are so used to crazy heat that we now think that 81-83 degrees is cool.

Today, the NYC area will top out at 78-81 degrees. That's slightly below average.

I think most topped out in the 70s though I need confirmation and the lows are going to be quite a bit below normal so it's fairly solid. This time of year it's usually the dews we look at then the temps themselves and those are unusually low.

I think most topped out in the 70s though I need confirmation and the lows are going to be quite a bit below normal so it's fairly solid. This time of year it's usually the dews we look at then the temps themselves and those are unusually low.

NYC's 76/64 is -7 for the day (averages are 84/69). So as cool as it is its only a -5 for the overnight low. Most locations have now dropped below normal for the month to date by a tenth or two of a degree but still will end up about as average a July as one can get.

Yanksfan should be all over it ;-)

I'm not sold on a wet period yet. The 12z Euro mean was centered south of Long Island with the convective wave on Saturday, then has a mostly dry Sunday, especially west. The globals today seem to be correcting east a bit with the WAR and if that continues the wave might miss OTS. I would agree that potenital currently exists for a period of heavy rain sometime between Friday night and Sunday morning.

I'm not sold on a wet period yet. The 12z Euro mean was centered south of Long Island with the convective wave on Saturday, then has a mostly dry Sunday, especially west. The globals today seem to be correcting east a bit with the WAR and if that continues the wave might miss OTS. I would agree that potenital currently exists for a period of heavy rain sometime between Friday night and Sunday morning.

Agree on the WAR-if it's further east, many may be fairly dry both days...it mostly comes down to that IMO

Agree on the WAR-if it's further east, many may be fairly dry both days...it mostly comes down to that IMO

Even if the globals are correct in bringing the convective low up the coast it should be in and out fairly quickly. The high res Euro clears us out be early afternoon on Saturday. Sunday looks like typical hit or miss showers and storms.

Even if the globals are correct in bringing the convective low up the coast it should be in and out fairly quickly. The high res Euro clears us out be early afternoon on Saturday. Sunday looks like typical hit or miss showers and storms.

What are temps like on the Euro both days? 

Cool day has sealed the deal and broke the streak of above normal July's 2010 - 2013.  It was a great stretch and a toast to a new streak starting in 15 to those who love summer weather. 

The summer as a whole is still on the plus side with June's numbers factored in.  So it will be up to August to decide if we ride 5 above normal summers and if we can muster any significant heat.  With the first 10 days in sight the latest guidance offers only more 'normal'.  Some warm humid days with cooler/dryer and cloudy days in between, likely yielding a 0 to +0.5 for the 8/1 - 8/7 period.  We'll have to see but again some hints at rising heights on/around 8/9...    

I noticed the haze as well. Pretty disappointing since I've been waiting so long for a day with a nice blue sky. Same thing happened last Friday. Today was worse though, and at times the air smelled like burnt areas in the Pine Barrens, probably from the fires all the way in Western Canada. Finally we get some cool dry air and this smoke has to ruin it! The last decent clear day we had here was July 5th! Definitely not the sky you want to capture the beauty of the green trees and blue water. 

IMG_0458_zps04ee5da1.jpg

IMG_0492_zps88e56b44.jpg

Archived