Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2014

SACRUS

+1.

This has been by far the most pleasant summer I've experienced since moving to NYC in 2009.  Some of those stretches of triple digits in 2010-2012 were unbearable... if you take the subway to work, you especially know what I mean.

+2

I'm digging this summer. Usually I'm hiding behind closed blinds with the AC raging. Windows open=happy me. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1.

This has been by far the most pleasant summer I've experienced since moving to NYC in 2009.  Some of those stretches of triple digits in 2010-2012 were unbearable... if you take the subway to work, you especially know what I mean.

Was just saying that last night-great summer for outdoor activities-we've had almost nothing canceled due to weather this summer.

How is heat less boring?...also this year has been way better for storms than our super hot summers were

it's an extreme to follow. and there were plenty of storms in the northeast during those those summers. the metro area just had bad luck

it's an extreme to follow. and there were plenty of storms in the northeast during those those summers. the metro area just had bad luck

looks like you won't be following that this year :whistle: I'd be willing to bet there's maybe a day or two of 90 or better for most of the reporting area....otherwise it's 70's and 80's with maybe some humidity here and there

any hope for AUG forky? this barely scrapping 90 a day here & a day there blows, need stretch of soupy 95+ days to traumatize the masses

Im not forky but I have an equal passion for tracking summer weather heat - storms and tropics.  While the pattern does look much warmer and humid after the trough lifts out and the WAR builds west by august 1 - 6, there is no signal for strong heat.  You never know with 40 days left till labor day.  The summer changed on a dime last year, so anything is possible.  But as of now through at least August 6th no signs of prolonged heat (90+) or high heat (95+) .  The theme is cooler followed by warm/humid and increased rain chances.

Departures through the 2/3 of July (7/24) with 1 week to go.

NYC: +0.4

EWR: +0.4

LGA: +0.1

JFK: even steven

TTN: +0.3

PHL: +1.0

I'm thinking a couple days of -5 will be enough to push most areas below for the month. EWR is +.3...today will be about -1 and tomorrow a few above then its mostly below Monday thru Thursday.

I'm thinking a couple days of -5 will be enough to push most areas below for the month. EWR is +.3...today will be about -1 and tomorrow a few above then its mostly below Monday thru Thursday.

Even with what feels like a cool month most places are still slightly above normal although like you said its likely theyll end up slightly below by the time August 1st comes around.

Our chance at 90F on Sunday is now shot and there's nothing I see that would put us there for the next 10 days so that window is definitely closing despite what people want to believe.

Just like in a bad winter when you finally realize after January that the winter will not get better and any LR range hope always proves to be false.

Even with what feels like a cool month most places are still slightly above normal although like you said its likely theyll end up slightly below by the time August 1st comes around.

Our chance at 90F on Sunday is now shot and there's nothing I see that would put us there for the next 10 days so that window is definitely closing despite what people want to believe.

Just like in a bad winter when you finally realize after January that the winter will not get better and any LR range hope always proves to be false.

Yeah we'll need an almost fall like cool shot to get locations below normal for the month. Even then its not a guarantee. If Tuesday ends up in the low 80s and mid 60s for lows it wont be enough. GFS has 78/58 at EWR which would be a -7

August doesn't show any signs of transitioning into a prolonged heat/humidity pattern to me. We should maintain the overall regime of cool central / warm west / normal east coast, with our area receiving intervals of high dew point/90F days followed by cool-downs. Very progressive/transient pattern due to the mean trough axis in the Lakes this summer. Airmasses are not stagnant or prolonged in nature. The NPAC ridging continues as well.

When will we see the change? This regime has essentially been going 12 months now, and it can't last forever. My early thoughts are for a potentially very warm September as the WAR retrogrades westward (relative to normal, might produce the greatest positive departures of the warm season), however, that is still far in advance. Most oncoming el nino events feature warm east coast Septembers.

2014072600_054@007_E1_north@america_I_NA

Only made it to 81 here today so about  -0.3 degrees for the month... just goes to show that average summers around here just aren't that bad... I think we got used to the last four hot ones.

I was thinking the same thing. June was +0.1 IMBY and July thus far is -0.1. As close to normal summer as one can get thus far. Mean max for July has been 85.0, much lower than previous summers with the mean around 88 or so. Our summers really aren't brutal heat/humidity wise. I think we're a happy medium between the generally pleasant/mild summers of most of New England and the very hot/humid summers from about PHL southwestward, particularly BWI/DCA southwestward.

This summer feels like it should be colder than average after experiencing 2010-2013, but in reality it's normal. 8 90F days here so far, which I think is probably near average or maybe 1 day behind average to date.

Archived