joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Arthur

Brick Tamland

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did the Outer Banks survive? Or was there utter destruction and annihilation? I was watching TWC this morning and they just showed some overwash and flooding, but I didn't see much in the way of devastation.

We ended up with more than an inch of rain from the storm, which was NOT forecast to affect us. Our rain was supposed to come from the disintegrating front.

Excellent news. Yep, despite it not being major, they seemed to have been blessed to some extent as this was no trivial hurricane. Maybe this means Arthur won't be retired?

0.1% chance this gets retired. They didn't even retired Isaac as destructive as that was (>2 billion dollars in damage). I guess Isaac was overshadowed by Sandy.

What gets the NC coast, aside from major hurricanes obviously, are the freakishly large storms (Irene) or the ones that move very slowly or even stall out over the area.  Those really give the water a chance to pile up in places and cause big problems.  Aside from that, most everything is built to survive a cat. 2 storm and talking to friends and family in Carteret County there really doesn't seem to be much damage.  They are mostly just annoyed because there's no power or internet.

https://twitter.com/weatherchannel/status/484891932125319169

Saw this tweet posted, TWC says ZDR is indicating birds in the eye of the hurricane, is that the correct conclusion? Have the hurricane hunter planes encountered a swarm of birds in the eye in the past?

AXFRQZx.jpg

I don't think this is definitive, meteorologists are puzzled, a few (or most) sceptic, but anything 3-4+ on ZDR dual pol is biological (bugs/birds, etc) so one would think a huge section of 6+ ZDR in the eye, the calmest area of the storm, would have to be, birds just riding out the system...

Maybe, yes, birds. http://www.bamabirds.com/stories/hurricane.htm

"As a hurricane develops, birds sometimes get trapped in the eye by the towering, fierce storms in the eye wall. In effect, the eye wall becomes a tropical bird cage until the hurricane begins to fizzle. In September 1985, thousands of birds, presumably trapped by the eye wall, were observed in the eye of Hurricane Gloria as the storm came ashore in southern New England."

Birds have been recorded to have been trapped and "deoposited several hundred if not thousand miles away because of this.

Because it made landfall in a decenty populated area and not on the OBX, a lot of people were in the eye...no one heard birds (or saw them) and a lot of the scans had this ZDR product very close to the ground, so they weren't flying high if they were birds. My theory is it was some other phenomena, but I haven't seen if anyone has figured it out yet, but as you can see birds inside hurricanes has been documented.

I don't think this is definitive, meteorologists are puzzled, a few (or most) sceptic, but anything 3-4+ on ZDR dual pol is biological (bugs/birds, etc) so one would think a huge section of 6+ ZDR in the eye, the calmest area of the storm, would have to be, birds just riding out the system...

Maybe, yes, birds. http://www.bamabirds.com/stories/hurricane.htm

"As a hurricane develops, birds sometimes get trapped in the eye by the towering, fierce storms in the eye wall. In effect, the eye wall becomes a tropical bird cage until the hurricane begins to fizzle. In September 1985, thousands of birds, presumably trapped by the eye wall, were observed in the eye of Hurricane Gloria as the storm came ashore in southern New England."

Birds have been recorded to have been trapped and "deoposited several hundred if not thousand miles away because of this.

Because it made landfall in a decenty populated area and not on the OBX, a lot of people were in the eye...no one heard birds (or saw them) and a lot of the scans had this ZDR product very close to the ground, so they weren't flying high if they were birds. My theory is it was some other phenomena, but I haven't seen if anyone has figured it out yet, but as you can see birds inside hurricanes has been documented.

That would be a hell of a lot of birds for a storm that only formed three or so days before and never crossed land.

That would be a hell of a lot of birds for a storm that only formed three or so days before and never crossed land.

yeah, not buying birds at all. I mean come on, where would Arthur scoop up enough of any living organism to be even remotely pronounced on radar like this. Has to be some kind of feedback issue. 

Well at the last minute I decided to book a hotel in Morehead City, and I'm glad I did. As one poster warned me, the cops weren't fooling around so my chase partner and I probably would've had to leave. Anyway, I consider the chase a success -- thanks again to those of you who gave me advice. :) Here is some of the footage I took, enjoy! 

Well at the last minute I decided to book a hotel in Morehead City, and I'm glad I did. As one poster warned me, the cops weren't fooling around so my chase partner and I probably would've had to leave. Anyway, I consider the chase a success -- thanks again to those of you who gave me advice. :) Here is some of the footage I took, enjoy! 

Did you get a chance to measure any winds?

Unfortunately, no. I've been searching for wind reports from Morehead City, to no avail. I know Fort Macon recorded gusts up to 87mph. I'm guessing the highest gusts in my video are 70-80mph.

Good stuff. One of these years we will get one that makes landfall in daylight.

Here are some of the videos I shot during Hurricane Arthur. The quality is not great, but this gives you an idea of what I saw. Waves were around 6-8 feet high with max winds around 40-50 mph. It was awesome to see and witness!!!

Nice, although I expected at least some if it to be taken from a kayak.

Nice, although I expected at least some if it to be taken from a kayak.

There was actually someone surfing earlier in the day, and the police asked them to get out of the ocean... I about inadvertently become a victim of the surge during one of the first videos, I didn't expect the surge to come up that much. Let's just say my legs were completely covered at one point. The storm surge was very powerful. It had a greater impact than the wind, in my opinion.

There was actually someone surfing earlier in the day, and the police asked them to get out of the ocean... I about inadvertently become a victim of the surge during one of the first videos, I didn't expect the surge to come up that much. Let's just say my legs were completely covered at one point. The storm surge was very powerful. It had a greater impact than the wind, in my opinion.

Yeah, I stood in the surge from Irene. It's a pretty amazing experience.  Hurricanes can really bring some strange conditions. The other night when Arthur crossed the southern outer banks a reporting station in the eye reported calm wind, expected of course but, with dense fog. You don't see that very often.

Yeah, I stood in the surge from Irene. It's a pretty amazing experience. Hurricanes can really bring some strange conditions. The other night when Arthur crossed the southern outer banks a reporting station in the eye reported calm wind, expected of course but, with dense fog. You don't see that very often.

Was it bird fog?

Here's some video from some meteorology students at NC State/storm chasers

Love it......the sound is how ya know you are in the eyewall the whole hear it before it hits, you can always hear the bigger gust coming its like a low rumble that you feel more than hear almost.....during Bertha we got the eye in Greenville and you could hear the backside approaching for a good 5 mins before the winds went back up sounded like a waterfall off in the distances slowly getting louder.

I remember a friend of my father's describing a swarm of birds circling in the eye of Hurricane Hazel as it passed over Calabash, NC. The birds were non-native and had apparently gotten trapped in Hazel's eye as the storm trekked through the Caribbean.

Below is a link to story on Hurricane Hazel that corroborates the sighting of birds in Hazel's eye. It's in the section titled "The Eye."

I remember a friend of my father's describing a swarm of birds circling in the eye of Hurricane Hazel as it passed over Calabash, NC. The birds were non-native and had apparently gotten trapped in Hazel's eye as the storm trekked through the Caribbean.

Below is a link to story on Hurricane Hazel that corroborates the sighting of birds in Hazel's eye. It's in the section titled "The Eye."

Hazel was a different animal.  She had been a hurricane for 10 days prior to her NC landfall and had crossed over Tahiti so  have no doubts there were many birds in the eye. As a matter of fact I remember the same type of thing with tropical birds appearing in Central Park NY after the passage of a cane in the late fifties.  I'll see if there is any info around about it.

I wonder if Arthur was a glimpse at things to come this hurricane season. I don't recall one hitting NC so early.

I read that article as well.

The National Hurricane Center said Arthur is the earliest hurricane to hit North Carolina since records began in 1851. The previous record was July 11, 1901.

Archived