• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
4th of July Tropical Fireworks?

Doing a quick check I couldn't find any information relating to this, but when was the last time this area was affected by a tropical system in July? Seems relatively rare, if it in fact comes to pass.

Bertha in July 1996 moved over the region as a tropical storm.

Bertha in July 1996 moved over the region as a tropical storm.

Thanks for the reply - I would say that qualifies as relatively rare.

With the projected path it's looking like most of the effect here (inland anyway) could be some enhancement to frontal boundary rainfall.

Could even be cleared out by Friday afternoon - night, although I imagine some fireworks displays will be rescheduled.

We shall see, and interesting nonetheless.

Meso already.  Watch incoming. 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md1252.html

mcd1252.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1252   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0928 AM CDT WED JUL 02 2014   AREAS AFFECTED...MUCH OF CENTRAL/ERN NY...VT...WRN   MA/CT...CENTRAL/ERN PA...NRN/CENTRAL NJ...AND NRN MD   CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...WATCH LIKELY    VALID 021428Z - 021530Z   PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...80 PERCENT   SUMMARY...TSTMS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE IN COVERAGE AND STRENGTH   FROM WEST-EAST ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE NORTHEAST STATES THROUGH THE   MORNING INTO THE AFTERNOON.  STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS WILL BE   LIKELY...PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL.  WW ISSUANCE IS LIKELY   BY LATE MORNING.   DISCUSSION...TRENDS IN MORNING WATER VAPOR IMAGERY SHOWED A   SHORTWAVE TROUGH TRACKING NEWD THROUGH THE LOWER GREAT LAKES   REGION...AND A SECOND UPSTREAM WAVE MOVING EWD THROUGH LOWER MI/NRN   IND.  AN ATTENDANT BAND OF 50-60 KT SWLY 500 MB WINDS EXTENDS FROM   THE UPPER OH VALLEY TO SRN QUEBEC PER 12Z SOUNDINGS...WITH THESE   WINDS SPEEDS EXPECTED TO BE SUSTAINED THROUGH THE DAY AND SHIFT   SOMEWHAT EWD ACROSS THE DISCUSSION AREA...ENHANCING BULK SHEAR.    MOSAIC RADAR/VISIBLE SATELLITE IMAGERY AND LIGHTNING DATA SHOWED   CU/TCU AND A FEW CB DEVELOPMENT ALREADY UNDERWAY FROM WRN/CENTRAL PA   INTO CENTRAL NY AS THE BOUNDARY LAYER DESTABILIZES...GIVEN ABUNDANT   SURFACE HEATING PER MAINLY CLEAR SKIES IN THE PRE-CONVECTIVE   ENVIRONMENT.     OBJECTIVE ANALYSES INDICATED MUCH OF THE DISCUSSION AREA IS ALREADY   MODERATELY UNSTABLE AND UNCAPPED.  THIS IS CONFIRMED PER   MODIFICATION OF THE 12Z ALB SOUNDING FOR CURRENT SURFACE TEMP/   DEWPOINT SHOWING NO INHIBITION AND MLCAPE NEAR 2000 J/KG.  DESPITE   VERY WEAK HEIGHT FALLS...FURTHER DESTABILIZATION WITH THE AIR MASS   BECOMING STRONGLY UNSTABLE AND STRENGTHENING BULK SHEAR WILL SUPPORT   ORGANIZED STORMS FAVORING LINE SEGMENTS/DAMAGING WIND GUSTS.    TRANSIENT ROTATING STRUCTURES WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE AS EFFECTIVE   BULK SHEAR INCREASES TO 35-45 KT FROM NEAR THE PA/MD BORDER NWD THIS

Thanks for the reply - I would say that qualifies as relatively rare.

With the projected path it's looking like most of the effect here (inland anyway) could be some enhancement to frontal boundary rainfall.

Could even be cleared out by Friday afternoon - night, although I imagine some fireworks displays will be rescheduled.

We shall see, and interesting nonetheless.

Even more rare was Agnes on June 22 1972

nonstop thunder the last 20 minutes.

incoming..

[QUOTE]BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDSEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNINGNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ134 PM EDT WED JUL 2 2014THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY NJ HAS ISSUED A* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...  NORTHERN MONROE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA...* UNTIL 230 PM EDT* AT 132 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM. THE STORM WAS NEAR POCONO PINES...MOVING  NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING ONE INCH  DIAMETER HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH.* THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WILL BE NEAR...  TOBYHANNA AND GOULSBORO STATE PARK AROUND 140 PM EDT...  MOUNT POCONO AND TOBYHANNA AROUND 145 PM EDT...  PARADISE VALLEY AND HERNYVILLE AROUND 150 PM EDT...  MOUNTAINHOME AND CANADENSIS AROUND 155 PM EDT...  SKYTOP AROUND 200 PM EDT...PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCE WINDS OF MORE THAN 57 MPH...OR HAIL ONEINCH OR LARGER.A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 700 PM EDTWEDNESDAY EVENING FOR NORTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA. A SEVERETHUNDERSTORM WATCH ALSO REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 900 PM EDT WEDNESDAYEVENING FOR DELAWARE AND NORTHEASTERN MARYLAND AND NEW JERSEY ANDSOUTHEAST PENNSYLVANIA.[/QUOTE]

Looks like the shore is getting hammered. Was it forecasted to be this bad?

Don't know about hammered but it's been "stormy" for sure. My peak gust has been 39mph at 9:25am; peak 1-minute average 20.3mph at 9:27am. Lewes,DE, has had a peak gust of 45kts.(52mph) at 9;18am. It has rained very hard at times. My daily total at noon was 1.75"(aprx.); manual measurement will come later. It's still raining lightly. Wind graph for last 1/2 hour shows speed is decreasing. Haven't had a day like this in a long while! Nice!!

more people get excited about a 1010 L.P with the chance of snowflurries than a cat 1 just offshore.

I think most people around here are desensitized to tropical systems because we're so accustomed to them decaying beyond interest and/or skipping to the east. Personally I still find it fascinating. Plus a lot of posters are from inland Pennsylvania and offshore storms don't even bother them. 

Archived