SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe parameters for 6/18/2014 - NYC

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The models suck with regards to convection so I need alot more. HRRR support would be helpful

HRRR that has been a pretty damn good model for convection! And yanks i know the EURO has this as well but not as robust as the NAM, was more referring to the strength that NAM had compared to the EURO

so many terrible posts in this thread by the usual suspect. if you think this sounding will yield convection here i'm embarrassed for you

Nobody is saying here that we're going to see severe weather, but we have a good shot at seeing heavy rain from a decaying MCS.

You can add the 12z GGEM to the list of models which bring us significant rain. The GGEM is 1"+ area wide outside of LI which is 0.75"+. 

Any convection for us is probably going to wait until later on tonight or the first half of tomorrow as the boundary begins to shift to the north again.

Atmosphere is way too stable now from 40N northward for any widespread convection through this afternoon and evening. Best thermodynamic parameters are in the mid atlantic, and the best juxtaposition of kinematic + thermo parameters are over the lower Lakes and OH valley. MUCAPE values generally < 1000 J/KG areawide right now with LI's less than -4. The atmospheric is pretty solidly capped at this point as well.

Any convection for us is probably going to wait until later on tonight or the first half of tomorrow as the boundary begins to shift to the north again.

Atmosphere is way too stable now from 40N northward for any widespread convection through this afternoon and evening. Best thermodynamic parameters are in the mid atlantic, and the best juxtaposition of kinematic + thermo parameters are over the lower Lakes and OH valley. MUCAPE values generally < 1000 J/KG areawide right now with LI's less than -4. The atmospheric is pretty solidly capped at this point as well.

Forgot to mention wind shear sucks right now as well. Bulk effective shear of > 30 kts is confined the OH Valley/Lakes. So we don't have the impressive wind fields or instability at this point.

Parameters in terms of kinematics will improve by later tonight and tomorrow morning but instability will be lacking.

Forgot to mention wind shear sucks right now as well. Bulk effective shear of > 30 kts is confined the OH Valley/Lakes. So we don't have the impressive wind fields or instability at this point.

Parameters in terms of kinematics will improve by later tonight and tomorrow morning but instability will be lacking.

The good shear profiles will move in later. They aren't that bad currently.

eshr.gif?1403112917929

Speaking non-meteorologically for a second, if one were to simply extrapolate the current complex over the Lakes toward our region at a forward speed of approximately 40-50mph, that would yield an arrival time of 2am-5am tonight. That's of course assuming the complex over MI holds together and it maintains its current direction.

The first storms are almost to State College. Will be there within the hour. Looks like we should be in business around 1AM.

those storms are not going to make it to the immediate metro if they even hold together before 2 - 4 am which is still the wildcard - what happens as they cross the apps

http://www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=CCX

FXUS61 KOKX 190129  

AFDOKX  

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY  

929 PM EDT WED JUN 18 2014

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/  

NO CHANGES AT THIS TIME.  

NW FLOW WEAKENS AS A COLD FRONT SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND BECOMES  

STATIONARY. THIS FRONT REMAINS NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH THE  

OVERNIGHT. IN THE DEEP NORTHWEST FLOW CONVECTION ACROSS THE LOWER  

GREAT LAKES INTO THE OHIO VALLEY AND WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA WILL  

MOVE TOWARD THE REGION LATE THIS EVENING INTO THE OVERNIGHT. THE  

CONVECTION WILL BE MOVING INTO A MORE STABLE AIR MASS...ESPECIALLY  

NYC AND EAST AND EAST OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY. WEST OF THERE  

INSTABILITY IS MINIMAL WITH LITTLE SURFACE AND ELEVATED  

CAPE...WHICH DIMINISHES OVERNIGHT AS CINS DOMINATES. SO HAVE  

REMOVED CHANCES OF THUNDER EAST AND KEPT ONLY ISOLATED THUNDER  

WEST TO ABOUT 06Z.  

next time don't fall for modeled mcs events

Living on LI i dont fall for a garden variety thunderstorm forky. Im literallt grasping at straws with convection here. I have a middle finger to the atmosphere during the summer pretty much from my house :lol:

Also last summer some of our best storms came when we werent advertised for these widespread severe weather events, go figure.....

Living on LI i dont fall for a garden variety thunderstorm forky. Im literallt grasping at straws with convection here. I have a middle finger to the atmosphere during the summer pretty much from my house :lol:

Also last summer some of our best storms came when we werent advertised for these widespread severe weather events, go figure.....

I honestly don't remember receiving one thunderstorm last summer.

Archived