Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The official 2014 Summer Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

I'm tired of those temps already   :angry:

I know I'm sure tired of it. I hate hot weather. Unfortunately, the gfs is still showing temps close to 100 here tuesday and wednesday of next week, especially for central and south ga/sc. At "best" upper 90s :axe:

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been 90 every day since March here, lol.  Really makes me appreciate how unusual last summer was now I'm getting a regular one this year.  Summer is the worst invention since dog doo on a stick!   At least I don't have the portals to contend with. and in a few more months winter will be near, thank goody goodness.  T

Tony!  :wub:  I would love nothing more than a summer like last year...lol. While everyone was welcoming summer, I am now counting down the days until football, fire in the fireplace and the late night pbp's of Dr No begin. I know it's coming....the days are getting shorter now  :D   

I know I'm sure tired of it. I hate hot weather. Unfortunately, the gfs is still showing temps close to 100 here tuesday and wednesday of next week, especially for central and south ga/sc. At "best" upper 90s :axe:

Me too  :wub:  It is sad that I am pulling for the "at best" scenerio of upper 90's   :(      

This next week will be another brutal one between the portals as usual...sigh......hopefully that nice little low that has been forecasted to form off the FL coast will materialize, grow into a nice tropical system and head toward mby, relieving me from the sweltering heat :lol: 

Tony!   :wub:  I would love nothing more than a summer like last year...lol. While everyone was welcoming summer, I am now counting down the days until football, fire in the fireplace and the late night pbp's of Dr No begin. I know it's coming....the days are getting shorter now   :D   

Me too   :wub:  It is sad that I am pulling for the "at best" scenerio of upper 90's   :(      

This next week will be another brutal one between the portals as usual...sigh......hopefully that nice little low that has been forecasted to form off the FL coast will materialize, grow into a nice tropical system and head toward mby, relieving me from the sweltering heat :lol:

I love the summer for doing things like going to the beach. But once my last beach trip is done sometime in August, and the kids go back to school, I am ready for fall, too. I love the three month stretch of October through December. I just wish it stayed light longer to enjoy it more. Then comes January and the model watching for snow is in full force.

It will be interesting to see how the weak surface low that the models have been developing off the SE coast will influence the weather, especially if it stronger than expected.

Yeah it will. It will probably end up on the weaker side, though.

It'll probably be right for the July 4th weekend and it'll be a washout. Yay.

Eeyore.

Yeah it will. It will probably end up on the weaker side, though.

Eeyore.

Look at the differences between the total precipitation fallen on the 12z and 18z GFS. On the 18z, it definitely will be close enough to influence the weather. Also that run isn't nearly as hot as the previous runs. We don't even hit 100 on this run, where the previous run had us well over the 100 mark.

Look at the differences between the total precipitation fallen on the 12z and 18z GFS. On the 18z, it definitely will be close enough to influence the weather. Also that run isn't nearly as hot as the previous runs. We don't even hit 100 on this run, where the previous run had us well over the 100 mark.

What site do you use for total precip and temp maps?

Tony!   :wub:  I would love nothing more than a summer like last year...lol. While everyone was welcoming summer, I am now counting down the days until football, fire in the fireplace and the late night pbp's of Dr No begin. I know it's coming....the days are getting shorter now   :D   

Me too   :wub:  It is sad that I am pulling for the "at best" scenerio of upper 90's   :(      

Yep...I've celebrated the summer solstice every year since I understood how it all works. Even though we have many weeks of miserably hot weather to go, it's really a great thing psychologically to know we are now going back in the right direction lol, I'm guessing just about every weenie here on this board does the same :lol:

In other news, the lookout screwzone has been in full effect this warm season. I've barely missed good to even excessive rains more times than I can count already this year..most of them by less than 2 or 3 miles. Just a a few days ago,  it rained 3 to  4 inches to my north with the leading edge no more than a mile away...and then those storms died and redeveloped a new line an hour or two later which dumped up to 5 inches no more than 2 or 3  miles south/southwest of me. That's some pretty major league suckage right there. So all these inventive ways mother nature keeps coming up with to torture this weenie soul has caused my location to be pretty damn dry.

We have had storms in the forecast for 45+ days and only 3 have produced. It really sucks that we have to wait like forever to get a storm.

The other thing I've noticed this year is that when we have gotten a "storm", there hasn't been very much in the way of thunder and lightening. Sure, a few cracks/strokes, but I have seen only a couple of storms produce a sufficient amount of thunder/lightening, worthy of a decent storm. This is just an IMBY observation though.

The other thing I've noticed this year is that when we have gotten a "storm", there hasn't been very much in the way of thunder and lightening. Sure, a few cracks/strokes, but I have seen only a couple of storms produce a sufficient amount of thunder/lightening, worthy of a decent storm. This is just an IMBY observation though.

2 of the 3 storms we had here were destructive. The June 10th storm was something I will never forget. I'm pretty sure the winds were 70-90mph. We haven't had close to as much rain as last June but we have had some epic storms.

What's it show? Continued drought , and 100 degree temps?

It brings a strong tropical storm, nearly a hurricane up into North Carolina. Its probably not that far off because the conditions for invest 91l are conducive for the next few days. It has an anticyclone over head, waters are plenty warm, and there isn't any dry air around the system.

Check out this thread.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42483-atlantic-tropical-action-2014/page-10#entry2986545

2 of the 3 storms we had here were destructive. The June 10th storm was something I will never forget. I'm pretty sure the winds were 70-90mph. We haven't had close to as much rain as last June but we have had some epic storms.

We had one earlier in the year (again, no real thunder) with winds probably around 70mph. Several trees and large limbs came down in the area.

Archived