• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The official 2014 Summer Discussion Thread

Marion_NC_WX

Regarding early next week, cold front sweeps in late Mon into Tues on leading edge of digging trough over the Great Lakes / E U.S.  It's another impressive looking trough for this time of year.  Canadian is the deepest and farthest east with the trough (not as cloudy, but below normal temps, and drying out).  GFS digs it into the east, then retrogrades it a bit to the west as Marion has outlined (cloudier, below normal temps, wetter pattern).  Euro looks in between the 2

If you have to get locked into a pattern during the hottest time of the year, this one is a lot better than most.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have to get locked into a pattern during the hottest time of the year, this one is a lot better than most.

Agreed. The trough still looks like it is coming for early next week. This time of year it's really about the dew points. If we can get surface temps in the mid-upper 80s and dew points in the 50s we have to consider ourselves lucky.  

Trough axis on this afternoon's GFS is a bit farther east during the Day 6, 7, 8 range...yesterday it was just east of the Mississippi where as today it almost lines up against the spine of the Southern Apps...there is a HUGE difference in weather depending on the placement...in either scenario the coastal plain would be in a sweet spot, yesterday's idea would provide the potential of a soaker all the way to the Apps...

The trough does retrograde to West of the Apps past 192 hours...I wonder if that might be as much the model losing resolution (post truncation)...

Regardless, we still got plenty of time to watch this evolve...It's going to be a very close call for some and I think for I-95, my confidence would be going up that some sort of moisture transport will be going up the East Coast.

Trough axis on this afternoon's GFS is a bit farther east during the Day 6, 7, 8 range...yesterday it was just east of the Mississippi where as today it almost lines up against the spine of the Southern Apps...there is a HUGE difference in weather depending on the placement...in either scenario the coastal plain would be in a sweet spot, yesterday's idea would provide the potential of a soaker all the way to the Apps...

The trough does retrograde to West of the Apps past 192 hours...I wonder if that might be as much the model losing resolution (post truncation)...

Regardless, we still got plenty of time to watch this evolve...It's going to be a very close call for some and I think for I-95, my confidence would be going up that some sort of moisture transport will be going up the East Coast.

Just going off of memory, which is veeerrrry questionable, it seems that often in summer, fronts seem to stall just north of the area or over the area and wash out.  This year, most of these seem to be clearing the area all the way to the coast.  Given that, the more eastern trough placement may make sense.  Like you said, plenty of time to watch it.

Just going off of memory, which is veeerrrry questionable, it seems that often in summer, fronts seem to stall just north of the area or over the area and wash out.  This year, most of these seem to be clearing the area all the way to the coast.  Given that, the more eastern trough placement may make sense.  Like you said, plenty of time to watch it.

Yeah...the trend has been for the front to go deeper into the south...

I've also learned through the years that a trough axis or frontal boundary rarely settles over the Appalachian Chain...usually forward momentum off the mountains will push it eastward...

All that said, it's a close call. I do hope the GFS is correct in showing that retrograde but again...is that the model losing its resolution of is that really going to happen? We shall see...

Michelle, I hope your dancin' worked for rain and you, and the portal vortex's relaxed the demon heat, and brought the clouds!!  I know I either scared the weather, or shamed the moles because I've gotten  1.5 this past week or so, after a whole month or more of extra crispy nothing.  Good times in Tonytown lately....and if it ain't rainin' it's cool and nice.  I'd like to think precursor of the coming ice age, but I have my serious doubts, lol.   Whatever, cut offs and cads are always welcome year round.   T

It has worked (somewhat), but I think Mother Nature just feel sorry for me  :lol:   I will totally agree re: cut offs and cads  :wub: 

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000   :thumbsup:  ^_^

Tick tock goes the clock on summer.  What I see is that the hottest day of the year for mby climatologically is 7/25-7/26 - after that we begin the long, slow, and cold decent into winter.  Winter is coming folks.....

I like your attitude Marietta! Each day the days get shorter and shorter! indeed winter is coming. As Grit said earlier the Euro is crazy with the trough in about a week.

Holy mother of joseph check out the 00z Euro day 10....the day 10-15 ensemble mean is straight up blocky. haha.

Is this July or December? IDK.

X89otri.png

I'm quoting myself here, but I'm just "bumping" my own post really as on twitter and facebook people are posting about the block and the associated effects.

Check out the Euro at 240 back on the 17th!

0 GFS is showing some upper 40s dew points(w/n NC) at around day 7. As Marietta said Tic tock goes the summer... Just thinking, we would really be crying right now if the opposite pattern was occurring at this time in January.

http://www.twisterdata.com/

Would be great if this meant we are going to get a very snowy winter.

Right now the models are a touch deeper with the eastern trough compared to the last polar arctic vortex drop.  GFS and GFS MOS were around 3 degrees too warm with high temps during the mostly sunny days last go around.  GFS on Meteostar has highs of 84 and 86 for Charlotte next Tues/Wed with mostly sunny skies...by deduction, that yields highs of 81 and 83, again under mostly sunny skies.  Probably means 78-81 for Greensboro / 85-88 for Columbia.  Long way off, but that's where we are right now with the numbers.  

Record low for Charlotte next Wed morning is 58.  GFS has a forecasted low of 59

The greens will continue to creep southeast in this pattern to end the month...

nNoSxYF.png

Doesn't look like much of a severe threat today.  Clouds/morning showers will limit instability.  There still should be pretty good coverage of rainfall, though.

Out in time, the GFS and Euro both still bring a deep trough over the area next week.  They both leave troughing and retrograde it over the south, just west of the area, producing a moist Gulf flow through the SE.  Day 10, the Euro tries to sneak the 594dm Atlantic ridge toward the area, while the GFS keeps it a little farther east.  In fact, the GFS maintains troughing pretty much through the entire run.  Outside of a hot day here or there, no sustained big heat is in sight.

I'm confident we'll knock out July without a heat wave.  I suppose August could turn around at some point, but if we can get through the first week or two of the month without big heat, there are a number of factors (as others have pointed out) that would make any late-August heat bearable:  Diminishing sun angle and shorter days, the approach of football season, prelim winter forecasts, Brick ramping up for weenie mode, the return of BrierCreekWx-1300m-et al....  Can't wait!

Archived