SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
KDIX radar is down for days

NickD2011

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Down again. This is starting to get out of hand with how much this happens.

As long as it doesn't happen before or during snowstorm or tropical system, I'm Ok. I won't post anything political, but the signs are there for anything purely scientific. We have to rely on Russia to get to the ISS?. Meanwhile early summer season for the local farmers has been great.

• 3 weeks later...

The radar should be a priority.  We have to eliminate the local offices and use our resources on radars, satellites, updated computer models.  Having an office in Cherry Hill adds nothing to forecasting ability.

The radar should be a priority. We have to eliminate the local offices and use our resources on radars, satellites, updated computer models. Having an office in Cherry Hill adds nothing to forecasting ability.

First of all, the radar is a priority.

Secondly, What??? And there is no NWS office in Cherry Hill.

The radar should be a priority.  We have to eliminate the local offices and use our resources on radars, satellites, updated computer models.  Having an office in Cherry Hill adds nothing to forecasting ability.

Eliminate local offices?  Who, exactly, would do the forecasting?   

Cherry Hill?

Wut?

• 2 weeks later...

People who say this don't realize how lean the NWS already is compared to other government programs.  And having spent only a few weeks working in an office now and seeing how much has to get done, even on a "boring" weather day - and in a rural office, no less - I can't imagine how the organization would survive with any consolidation.

Oh, and radar and satellite and NWP are all being upgraded continuously anyway without cutting staffing.  Dual-pol and SAILS are awesome, GOES-R is coming soon, and the plan is to have the HRRR operational by the end of 2015 (I believe) and an operational NAM ensemble and RAP ensemble by the end of the decade.  And the GFS is going to be upgraded to a usable grid spacing post-truncation and a NAM-like grid spacing pre-truncation soon too.  I wrote down the specifics at AMS in Feb. but then lost the sheet...oops.

Read more, post less.  This diatribe is filled with inaccuracy.

Read more, post less.  This diatribe is filled with inaccuracy.

What is Diatribe and what is Inaccurate?

Their is one hurricane center. They forecast Hurricanes thousands of miles away.  They forecast worldwide. No local offices.  There is one severe weather office that forecasts throughout America.  There are many private forecasting firms that forecast worldwide out of one office.

Most countries use one forecast office.

For Forecasting...why do we need all these local offices?

If the local offices are gone then who maintains the radar? There is no weather service office in Cherry Hill as well. 

People who say this don't realize how lean the NWS already is compared to other government programs.  And having spent only a few weeks working in an office now and seeing how much has to get done, even on a "boring" weather day - and in a rural office, no less - I can't imagine how the organization would survive with any consolidation.

Oh, and radar and satellite and NWP are all being upgraded continuously anyway without cutting staffing.  Dual-pol and SAILS are awesome, GOES-R is coming soon, and the plan is to have the HRRR operational by the end of 2015 (I believe) and an operational NAM ensemble and RAP ensemble by the end of the decade.  And the GFS is going to be upgraded to a usable grid spacing post-truncation and a NAM-like grid spacing pre-truncation soon too.  I wrote down the specifics at AMS in Feb. but then lost the sheet...oops.

Are you Volunteering at the SD office or got in at an intern position? Just wondering, I've been on Vacation for a while. 

Their is one hurricane center. They forecast Hurricanes thousands of miles away.  They forecast worldwide. No local offices.  There is one severe weather office that forecasts throughout America.  There are many private forecasting firms that forecast worldwide out of one office.

First of all, the national centers issue different products than the forecast offices. Environment Canada, for example, does not just have one office issuing everything for their entire country. They did consolidate, but still have more than one forecast office.

Second, the private forecasting firms are not maintaining weather equipment such as ASOS and radars. NWS offices do more than issue a seven day forecast and warnings. There is aviation, marine, fire weather, equipment maintenance that is performed, outreach, research conducted, and a built upon and maintained relationships with the emergency management and media community in the local areas. When the weather is quiet, those of us at the weather forecast offices are not just simply sitting around doing nothing.

What is your agenda here?

What is Diatribe and what is Inaccurate?

There's no way you're serious about this.  One office can issue warnings for an outbreak covering multiple CWAs?  Conduct damage surveys?  Provide educational outreach?  Updates thousands of TAFs and marine grids at once?  

The national centers exist to provide guidance to and continue research for the local offices.  They were never imagined to be redundancies.

Are you Volunteering at the SD office or got in at an intern position? Just wondering, I've been on Vacation for a while. 

I'm a Hollings scholar.  Thanks for asking!

I'll be just a regular ol' volunteer at IWX in the fall and then I'll be trying to wedge my way in somewhere else next summer.  Most likely wherever I end up going to grad school, but maybe I can twist someone's arm over there at Mt. Holly.  We'll see...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Chinese or Russians hack into the NWS radar network, in addition to eveready of radar sites KDIX all the surrounding sites have been a mess this morning

Or the North Koreans because they are pissed at the new movie about their little Dr Evil

Strangely the NWS java version is partially working

Archived