joxey

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0934
   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
   1017 PM CDT MON JUN 09 2014

AREAS AFFECTED...PARTS OF AL...TN...NWRN GA

CONCERNING...SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 270...272...

VALID 100317Z - 100445Z

THE SEVERE WEATHER THREAT FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH
   270...272...CONTINUES.

SUMMARY...STRONG WIND GUSTS PRODUCING TREE DAMAGE SHOULD GRADUALLY
   SUBSIDE ALONG A BULGING QLCS EVOLVING EWD ACROSS THE TN VALLEY
   TOWARDS THE SRN APPALACHIANS.

DISCUSSION...5-9 KM MSL CAPPI REFLECTIVITY HAVE SAMPLED GRADUALLY
   DIMINISHING VALUES ALONG THE QLCS THAT ARCS FROM MIDDLE TN TO
   N-CNTRL AND W-CNTRL AL. THIS WEAKENING TREND HAS BEEN MOST
   PRONOUNCED ACROSS THE NRN PORTION OF THE LINE WHICH APPEARS TO BE
   DRIVEN PURELY ON MOMENTUM WITHIN A MORE STABLE THERMODYNAMIC
   ENVIRONMENT PER 00Z BNA RAOB. THIS TREND HAS ALSO BEEN NOTED IN
   INBOUND VELOCITIES WITH SURFACE WIND GUSTS LIKELY TO HOLD AOB 40
   KT...BUT STILL CAPABLE OF TREE DAMAGE.

FARTHER S...DEEPER /ALBEIT WEAKENING/ UPDRAFTS HAVE BEEN SUSTAINED
   NEAR/SW OF BHM. WITHIN A RESIDUAL WARMER AIR MASS /CHARACTERIZED BY
   SURFACE TEMPERATURES STILL IN THE UPPER 70S/...CONVECTION HAS BEEN
   ATTEMPTING TO FORM JUST AHEAD OF THE LINE ALONG A NW/SE-ORIENTED
   CONFLUENCE BAND AROUND 30 NE SEM. SPORADIC TREE DAMAGE AND EVEN
   MARGINAL HAIL MAY PERSIST FOR A FEW MORE HOURS DESPITE LESS
   FAVORABLE ORIENTATION TO THE DEEP-LAYER SWLY FLOW.

Outflow boundary is noted south of the Tennessee border, running approximately east-west through Mississippi and Alabama. Blue line is above the surface, perhaps the 850 mb reflection. Surface OFB is the red line. Elevated thundershowers on the blue line are of little concern this morning. Look for the red surface OFB to lift north through the day. Any lone storms crossing it present a tornado risk. Otherwise if it stays a line, higher straight line winds are possible at that point.

HRRR is not updating, but it had not been running well this morning. High-res NAM initialized this morning better at 00Z than 06Z or even 12Z, but all 3 are wrong in different ways, so let's do some fundamental meteorology. Line of thunderstorms refuses to break up so the 5% tornado may be going bye-bye at 1630. Looks good for high winds when things destabilize this afternoon. RAP actually doing okay with the sloppy evolution of the system. One could hope for a nice line echo wave pattern, a higher wind signature this afternoon, otherwise just some wind and summer storms.

post-2545-0-48464900-1402412382_thumb.pn

Thanks for the analysis Jeff!

I'm still shocked that a storm managed to actually roll through the central valley last night without being vaporized coming up I75.  We got a nice hard rain, stout winds, and a crack or two of thunder.  Seems like forever since we've had one of those.

Just saw this on facebook from WxSouth.

A very active day today and again tomorrow. The upper low will be pulling north soon, so the Gulf inflow will continue, piling up rain totals in mid Tenn. down through Alabama today, along with strong thunderstorms, especially eastern Alabama, TN, Georgia where conditions are sunnier and more instability. By tomorrow, this slides a little more east, still with a strong tap to the Gulf in the Florida panhandle, through most of Georgia and the Carolinas, with again the areas getting severe storms where there is the most daytime sun.

Just had a quick but INSANE hail storm roll through. It hailed for about 10 mins but the finale was golf ball sized hail for about 5 mins it did a number on my corn and stripped some leaves in the yard. The house appears to be ok and the cars were inside so no damage there. Had about a half inch of rain from it too. Sorry to hear about the tree Dwagner. Hope everyone else is ok

Had a tree down in front of the neighborhood across the road....Hope dwagner is doing okay this morning...

Less than half an inch at TYS and TRI....perhaps it will get better the next day or two but when it starts getting dry it seems everything that comes through underperforms...

post-1670-0-87058200-1402487545_thumb.jp

Glad you are safe, but hope the damage is not too bad. Pls let us know.

A tree just fell on my house. Haven't been able to get outside to check the damage yet.

Impressive for the South: Do you have crop hail insurance?

Just had a quick but INSANE hail storm roll through. It hailed for about 10 mins but the finale was golf ball sized hail for about 5 mins it did a number on my corn and stripped some leaves in the yard. The house appears to be ok and the cars were inside so no damage there. Had about a half inch of rain from it too. Sorry to hear about the tree Dwagner. Hope everyone else is ok

Tell your neighbors not to fall for the hail salesman. Golfball and smaller does not damage roofs. Unless they needed a new roof anyway, lol..

A tree just fell on my house. Haven't been able to get outside to check the damage yet.

Well that sucks!  Hopefully the damage wasn't too bad.

Sorry to hear about the corn, yikes!

No hail at my place, just those wild wind gusts.  It's times like that that I wish I had a weather station to see just how high they got.  Trees were bending and I bracing for the neighbors' pine trees to snap and fall on my house.  We got lucky, just lots of pine cones and needles flying sideways.  Very happy to have the rain.

Impressive for the South: Do you have crop hail insurance?

Tell your neighbors not to fall for the hail salesman. Golfball and smaller does not damage roofs. Unless they needed a new roof anyway, lol..

Thanks for the replies guys. I just have a small garden plot, so no worries on the crop insurance. Roof appears to be ok as well so that's great news!

Thanks for the concern everyone. No roof damage! And it looks like we will be able to salvage the remainder of the tree with some cabling. I only need to cut the thing up and replace a 20' piece of gutter. Pretty lucky overall. The wind actually wasn't all that bad. The tree had been recently weakened and a crack had formed. I suspect this happened during that heavy wet snow back in February.

Just dang.  I think the Kingston tornado must have gone RIGHT over my house last night.  I knew the winds were at least 60 mph.  Husband was standing on the porch telling me that he saw the winds briefly change direction while maintaining that speed and was freaked out by that.  I was glued to Radarscope on my iPhone (I had left my laptop at work so didn't have my GRLevel2 software).  I didn't see any rotation though. We are slightly northeast of Kingston, so from the description it sounds like it was in my backyard.  Neighbors had big tree uprooted and about a quarter mile down the road I saw some trees that looked twisted. I will have to pay more attention on the drive home.

Archived