• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Banter Thread

Solak

OK, last post for a while ...  Anyone here intending to go to the Mountain EggFest in Hiawassee, Georgia, next weekend (May 17th)?

http://www.mountainegg.com/  (NE GA mountains up against the TN border, on Chatuge Lake)

For non-Eggers, an EggFest is sort of a gigantic tailgate party without the game.  The host company provides several hundred Big Green Eggs and lump (coal). Cooks provide their own supplies, and tasters provide an audience.  You can do some serious eating just grazing from one grilling station to another.

And to bring this sorta-into-wx, some attendees are unhappy that the forecast includes a shot at below-40F on Thursday night.  I'm fine with Thurs cold because I'm not arriving until Friday.  I'm not fine with stormy wx Friday-Saturday because tent camping + storms are an unhappy mix.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still haven't turned the air conditioner on this year. It's will be a close call today. Official forecast has me at 89 today, but with a dew point close to 50. I know I wouldn't have a problem, but I can hear it now from the wife and kids: "God it's hot! why can't we turn on the AC?" 

I am so friggin ready for this semester to be over with lol. Note to everyone: don't take chemistry, biology, physics and calculus in the same semester. Brutal. Chem and bio final tomorrow...calc and physics final friday. I don't even care I get out of class at noon on friday I'm sleeping the rest of the friggin day hjahaha

Good luck! Hang in there......you are almost done :) 

Yeah, wrens build nests in the most awkward spots! I had a family of them in a hanging basket already this spring, and have read of them building nests in shirt pockets hanging on clothes lines! Once they hatch, the babies are out quickly, 7-10 days I believe. Very cool birds, and they eat a ton of insects!

Yes they do  :lol:  I don't startle easily and her flying out sure made me jump....lol

Snicker.  Sure sounds like classic Carolina Wren nesting.  If they can wriggle their way into it, they'll nest in it.  When I was growing up, we would sometimes find the nest starts in pockets of clothes coming off the line, or even in the clothespin bag.

This little fellow fledged from a nest in my trombone mute, which I'd left on a shelf in the garage.  The garage is full of hazards for newly fledged baby birds, so I captured and relocated them to the blackberry thicket (stopping only for a few photographs):

A trombone mute is smart thinking  :lol:  I'm kind of worried that the bag might break before they get a chance to fledge  :(  

OK, last post for a while ...  Anyone here intending to go to the Mountain EggFest in Hiawassee, Georgia, next weekend (May 17th)?

http://www.mountainegg.com/  (NE GA mountains up against the TN border, on Chatuge Lake)

For non-Eggers, an EggFest is sort of a gigantic tailgate party without the game.  The host company provides several hundred Big Green Eggs and lump (coal). Cooks provide their own supplies, and tasters provide an audience.  You can do some serious eating just grazing from one grilling station to another.

And to bring this sorta-into-wx, some attendees are unhappy that the forecast includes a shot at below-40F on Thursday night.  I'm fine with Thurs cold because I'm not arriving until Friday.  I'm not fine with stormy wx Friday-Saturday because tent camping + storms are an unhappy mix.

I've had those experiences before  :lol:   

Still haven't turned the air conditioner on this year. It's will be a close call today. Official forecast has me at 89 today, but with a dew point close to 50. I know I wouldn't have a problem, but I can hear it now from the wife and kids: "God it's hot! why can't we turn on the AC?" 

Mine has been on since the first of March  :angry: 

I am so friggin ready for this semester to be over with lol. Note to everyone: don't take chemistry, biology, physics and calculus in the same semester. Brutal. Chem and bio final tomorrow...calc and physics final friday. I don't even care I get out of class at noon on friday I'm sleeping the rest of the friggin day hjahaha

I had Chemistry, Calculus II, and Latin I this semester, but survived them. That spring semester was really brutal for me, but I'm glad I'm done with that. Upcoming fall semester shouldn't be that bad for me, thankfully.

I'm trying to figure out why too much calculus is a bad thing...  :P

I'm teaching Calculus I (my screen name) this upcoming summer semester, in fact!  Got a brand new textbook by Laura Tahlman that I'm really excited about using.  All math and no frills.  My kind of text.

My son has taken 3 years of Calc for his degree.  His toughest subject.

He tells me, "Dad, Calc is easy."

I have a 137 IQ, ave. His is less.

Man, there is nothing going on up here, is there?  :whistle:

I expected to come up here and find a big long post from Larry about the upcoming Nino, but nothing? Larry, it ain't summer yet, you can't take off so early!  :sun:

I really wish it would hurry up and get here already  :P  

Dang it's dead in here! Hope all y'all are all pampering your mothers! I think lows in the mid 40s outside the mountains, would be discussion worthy , and that looks possible Fri or Sat. Hopefully some rain before that. The .23 I received yesterday didn't help a whole lot sandwiched between 7+ days of 88-90 degree temps!

I am loving the warm and dry weather. Looks like we could get some storms later this week, though. It's been active in the midwest.

You're probably getting all kinds of basketball in. I'm on my church softball team and we play Tuesday and Thursday nights. Those are the days it rains. But it doesn't matter all that much. We're terrible.

Archived