Newest Member
    joxey
2014 Short Term Severe Weather Disco

Chicago Storm

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That doesn't mean it's a tornado.

also, given the location of the "tornado" relative to the storm as well as the time that picture was approximately taken. Usually you don't see a cloud structure that well defined that close to the surface, so it's pretty reasonable to say it was likely a tornado.

also, given the location of the "tornado" relative to the storm as well as the time that picture was approximately taken. Usually you don't see a cloud structure that well defined that close to the surface, so it's pretty reasonable to say it was likely a tornado.

You can't see the bottom half of the cloud, it very well could have been a tornado or it could have been a wall cloud and a funnel cloud. The picture doesn't allow you to see the bottom half of the funnel.

You can't see the bottom half of the cloud, it very well could have been a tornado or it could have been a wall cloud and a funnel cloud. The picture doesn't allow you to see the bottom half of the funnel.

true... Suppose that's important. But my rationale is that a tornado was reported either when, or slightly after this pic would've been taken. Suppose it could've just been a funnel cloud at this point.

Lots of reports on spotter network of a rain wrapped tornado on the ground with the Denver cell.

That's a pretty intense supercell east of Denver... Large hail core, a very evident hook echo, observed rotating wall cloud, would be shocked if it didn't put down a large tornado at some point given how low the wall cloud is as well as pretty strong low-level flow.

EDIT: tornado in progress

That is a very impressive radar over Denver. Has to be a tornado

Doesn't look nearly as impressive attm on the video feeds.

definitely appears to be a cone tornado given it's well-defined outlines compared to the rough edges of the rest of the clouds.

It was a very messy scuddy base.  We were looking at it with the terminal at DIA in the background and it wasn't a tornado from our vantage point.  Valpo chasers also didn't see any funnels either.  Still on it now though, heading toward Byers.

Anschutz Medical Campus at the U. of Colorado

depenyru.jpg

You know, that thing was weird. I was watching the storm from the next building over from where this pic was taken, and the wall cloud was definitely rotating, though the white "thing" in the picture was not really rotating. About 5 minutes later I saw a real tornadic circulation pass by, with a reflection on the ground of cyclonic winds around 40 mph, but the cloud base itself was definitely aloft by several hundred feet, not on the ground, and corresponded perfectly in timing and location with what was going on on the radar. So this "thing" was maybe a funnel but maybe not. I think there was a lack of consensus within the cloud about where to concentrate its energy, at least till it got east of Pena Blvd.

It was a very messy scuddy base. We were looking at it with the terminal at DIA in the background and it wasn't a tornado from our vantage point. Valpo chasers also didn't see any funnels either. Still on it now though, heading toward Byers.

thank you for the confirmation... Tornado must've been reported well after that picture then

Ian, did you go up 36 past Byers? I kept having to retreat S to avoid the hail, no matter how E I tried to get.

Everything was so HP, kind of crazy seeing an entire countryside post hail storm from afar. All I saw was white.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

We came in north of the airport then hung out in the extended bears cage.. Not super close but it was elongated early. Then we took 70 to 36. Never had hail issues chasing but we generally stayed ahead of the storm a few miles. We left during the latter tornado warning as the new convection to the south was meeting it. By then it was clear we wouldn't see anything tho it was kind of clear earlier than that heh.

Going back west we noticed the white countryside to the north so we went to check it out. Took a lot of pics north of Byers.. Was still 3-4" deep up there after some melting. Our car them bottomed at 39. Very odd. Guess it happens there but haven't seen anything like that before.

Storm was pretty esp early but it seemed too RFD heavy or something. After looking outflowy for a bit it looked great again for like 10 min with a fast rotating wall cloud but then the RFD pushed again and it got all rain wrapped again. Kind of frustrating but better than nothing.

The traffic was a joke.. Only a matter of time till a convoy of chasers gets taken out. Not to mention we almost got hit twice by people turning off side roads and not paying attention.

We came in north of the airport then hung out in the extended bears cage.. Not super close but it was elongated early. Then we took 70 to 36. Never had hail issues chasing but we generally stayed ahead of the storm a few miles. We left during the latter tornado warning as the new convection to the south was meeting it. By then it was clear we wouldn't see anything tho it was kind of clear earlier than that heh.

Going back west we noticed the white countryside to the north so we went to check it out. Took a lot of pics north of Byers.. Was still 3-4" deep up there after some melting. Our car them bottomed at 39. Very odd. Guess it happens there but haven't seen anything like that before.

Storm was pretty esp early but it seemed too RFD heavy or something. After looking outflowy for a bit it looked great again for like 10 min with a fast rotating wall cloud but then the RFD pushed again and it got all rain wrapped again. Kind of frustrating but better than nothing.

The traffic was a joke.. Only a matter of time till a convoy of chasers gets taken out. Not to mention we almost got hit twice by people turning off side roads and not paying attention.

I blame that on shows like Storm Chasers, and widely publicized chasers like Reed Timmer. Albeit, it was a fantastic show, and Reed is a pretty good guy too. But it just causes everybody to think that they're "Jesus" and can go out and do whatever they want. Agree very much... Eventually a ton of quasi-chasers are going to be killed by some monster tornado (like El Reno.) Think that is what it will take to get them to stop... Possibly.

Archived