• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Even the best snow years in Asheville are enough to make a snow lover want to cry! I'm not sure how the Asheville folks endure the abuse especially being surrounded by snowy mountains. :)

Little closer to obtaining a new vacation home at a location that could best be described as snow nirvana. Hopefully will be mine in September...

Very cool. Mike hope you share your location soon.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the best snow years in Asheville are enough to make a snow lover want to cry! I'm not sure how the Asheville folks endure the abuse especially being surrounded by snowy mountains. :)

Little closer to obtaining a new vacation home at a location that could best be described as snow nirvana. Hopefully will be mine in September...

Mike, what area are you looking at, and will you be selling your current mtn top property?

My folks have always told me about the 1960's being a big decade for snow in the Western Carolinas...those numbers go a long ways to verify that...

Interesting. Hard to believe that in about two months winter will be knocking on our door. This summer has been splendid to say the least. Right know I have no expectations for winter or Fall. We have quite a ways to go before then.

Mike, what area are you looking at, and will you be selling your current mtn top property?

Shhh..it's a secret...don't want to jinx it till I own it! :) Regarding current property. .if I find I'm not using it enough because of the new property I will sell it. First dibs will go to those on this thread as of course I would want it to be passed on to a weather nerd! :)

Shhh..it's a secret...don't want to jinx it till I own it! :) Regarding current property. .if I find I'm not using it enough because of the new property I will sell it. First dibs will go to those on this thread as of course I would want it to be passed on to a weather nerd! :)

Nice Mike. I already fill honored you would think of us. Anyway good luck on the future buy. I have found 36 acres in Max Patch for a great price. I am going to go buy and see if it is to steep and if it has a good building site on it.

Interesting. Hard to believe that in about two months winter will be knocking on our door. This summer has been splendid to say the least. Right know I have no expectations for winter or Fall. We have quite a ways to go before then.

Yep...it will be here in the blink of an eye...

Met..Max Patch area would be great location with substantial upslope despite modest elevations. Good luck with that and of course we would all appreciate a weather station established there and the data available online fillng a data void in that area! :)

Ya I am going to work hard to try to get out in that location in the next few year. Max Patch is one of those locations that is very unique in weather and in area. Very secluded and out there. The weather obs would be awesome.

Dewpoint is 68 at the Asheville Airport with a temp of 70.  Talk about soupy outside!  Another line of showers about to move in and I think that will be the theme today.  Might have a little flash flooding in WNC if these storms are able to train over the mountains.

Pretty much the same down here.  Subtracting a bit of elevation gives me 78º with a dewpoint of 75º.  Yuck.

Ya I am not impressed and it already looks as if it is breaking up. Well I am already tired of this heat so good thing it looks as if we will get a backdoor cold front coming in here around Saturday to help mute the heat and cool us down a bit from about the mountains East.

Haha yeah looking forward to cooling back down.  Looks like those showers are going to hold together somewhat.  We could be in for a couple of hours of solid rain.

Haha yeah looking forward to cooling back down.  Looks like those showers are going to hold together somewhat.  We could be in for a couple of hours of solid rain.

Ya the showers but not sure about the storms. We are getting some gusty winds with the outflow from the storms though. Winds are gusting to around 25 mph. Light rain is starting and the temps have cooled to 72 degrees. The rain would be welcome especially overnight.

What are the thoughts on fall foliage this year? I don't recall seeing few trees being colorful on September 1st last year...

Well we are seeing some fall color here and there but I do not think we really start seeing anything big until the end of September. The pattern just looks way to warm but I think we will see a nice season once it starts.

Well we are seeing some fall color here and there but I do not think we really start seeing anything big until the end of September. The pattern just looks way to warm but I think we will see a nice season once it starts.

Gotcha. Thought I should ask the locals on here since I got my family coming over first week of October. I'm hoping it'll be peak color at least for 5,000+ feet at that time so I can take them to Craggy Gardens and/or Graveyard Fields early one morning to beat the crowd. With the cold streak in July/August, I was hoping peak color would go down to about 4,000+ feet (although it might be way too early at that elevation).

Gotcha. Thought I should ask the locals on here since I got my family coming over first week of October. I'm hoping it'll be peak color at least for 5,000+ feet at that time so I can take them to Craggy Gardens and/or Graveyard Fields early one morning to beat the crowd. With the cold streak in July/August, I was hoping peak color would go down to about 4,000+ feet (although it might be way too early at that elevation).

the first week of oct is a little too early for 5600'. Maybe the weekend of the second week would be more towards peak. I thought last year was a sub par year for color.

Archived