• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

Got a whole bag full of blueberries from around Devils Courthouse today.  It was foggy the whole time I was up there today due to the rain that occurred on my way up but it was neat to see Graveyard Fields looking spooky.  I got a nice time-lapse of that so hopefully I can make some time and put a few together.  On my way home the fog was extremely dense.  I would estimated 50 feet of visibility at the most.  I ran up on Pisgah View and couldn't see a thing.  Then as I dipped below 4000' the fog would then and disappear.  It was pretty cool seeing how the elevation brought the temp to the dewpoint at 5000', but relative humidity was only 90%-95% at 4000'.  You guys should get up to the Parkway if you like to get blueberries, they are just now getting ripe and should be great picking in the next 2-3 weeks.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a whole bag full of blueberries from around Devils Courthouse today.  It was foggy the whole time I was up there today due to the rain that occurred on my way up but it was neat to see Graveyard Fields looking spooky.  I got a nice time-lapse of that so hopefully I can make some time and put a few together.  On my way home the fog was extremely dense.  I would estimated 50 feet of visibility at the most.  I ran up on Pisgah View and couldn't see a thing.  Then as I dipped below 4000' the fog would then and disappear.  It was pretty cool seeing how the elevation brought the temp to the dewpoint at 5000', but relative humidity was only 90%-95% at 4000'.  You guys should get up to the Parkway if you like to get blueberries, they are just now getting ripe and should be great picking in the next 2-3 weeks.

One thing I have noticed after running up and down mountainsides numerous times..if the cloud extends most of the way to the valley floor-the lowest visibility is found just about the cloud line.(LCL)  As I ascend upward. it slowly improves. The lowest visibility is almost never at the top of the mountain except in situations were the LCL is just touching the top and everything below is in the clear. Don't really have an explanation on why I have observed this. Another observation is that when the rain starts-visibility inside the cloud almost always improves compared to what it was before rain commenced.

Mike I found a good deal on some land in Madison county. Towards the Spruce Pine area. Any thoughts?

Met-what is the elevation?  

I'm actually in the hunt myself. This time, not just a high elevation property but a mountain top vacation home. When I have an accepted offer..details will be shared here! :)

Met-what is the elevation?  

I'm actually in the hunt myself. This time, not just a high elevation property but a mountain top vacation home. When I have an accepted offer..details will be shared here! :)

The elevation is 2600 to 3300 feet. Not to high but decent. I have also found land in Maggie Valley at around 3500 to 4000 feet. Not sure which would be better snow wise. I found some land in the Plott Balsams but wow is it expensive.

The elevation is 2600 to 3300 feet. Not to high but decent. I have also found land in Maggie Valley at around 3500 to 4000 feet. Not sure which would be better snow wise. I found some land in the Plott Balsams but wow is it expensive.

Met..there are big weather gradients in both Maggie Valley and Spruce Pine area. I would go with Spruce Pine unless the property is close to the Soco Gap side of Maggie if snow is your main consideration. My new place that I hope to buy receives..let's just say a remarkable amount of snow! :)

Our K-value has been between 36 & 38 all day across downtown, but we have yet to see a drop of rain.  Oh the joys of forecasting in the mountains haha.

Edit:  Looks like the bubble is about to burst and we will finally get a little rain today.  Yesterday I had a very nice downpour but everyone else at my work barely saw a drop in their backyards.  Weird

Here you go guys, love being up in the clouds.

http://vimeo.com/101395844

Wow, I got to know where you filmed the view toward downtown Asheville at 1:00 to 1:05! I've been taking pictures of South Carolina this past weekend in Charleston area, but I'm planning on making several trips into mountains now that I'm allow to have my car at UNCA to take pictures and maybe do some time lapse :)

Met..there are big weather gradients in both Maggie Valley and Spruce Pine area. I would go with Spruce Pine unless the property is close to the Soco Gap side of Maggie if snow is your main consideration. My new place that I hope to buy receives..let's just say a remarkable amount of snow! :)

Well do share Mike. Are you buying around the Balsam area or somewhere else?

Wow, I got to know where you filmed the view toward downtown Asheville at 1:00 to 1:05! I've been taking pictures of South Carolina this past weekend in Charleston area, but I'm planning on making several trips into mountains now that I'm allow to have my car at UNCA to take pictures and maybe do some time lapse :)

Awesome man!  The shot of Asheville is taken from Crest Mtn.  If you take Patton Ave. and go towards Leicester its a gated community right near the high school.  If you are lucky the lower construction gate will be open and you can go to the top.  Anyone looking to make time-lapses should get the program Panolapse.  It will compile the video from the pictures for you along with creating a panning or zooming look.  Let me know if you need any help, I would be more then happy to answer any questions.

Well do share Mike. Are you buying around the Balsam area or somewhere else?

Met, haven't been able to find something I liked in the Balsams so I've widen the areas that I'm searching for. I'm hoping to make an offer on something in August.  For sure, whatever I choose..it will need to have very very interesting weather and also great views so I can enjoy it all.  Tough..as surprisingly a lot of the high elevation homes really don't have good views or rather limited only looking off in one direction..really want at least 180 degree view plus the ability to see 360 within a very short distance of the house.

Yesterday turned out to be quite wet..1.65" from 2 intense downpours. Today the rain has moved back in already.

Down to the last few days in Weaverville (Closing on the house Fri 7/25). Got a nice going away present late yesterday afternoon as a heavy rain event nailed us. Picked up 1.3" in a hour. Nice prep for the tropical downpours of the Panhandle!

Where you moving to Don, locally I hope. 

Edit.  I see your moving to Florida Don.  I hate you won't be around to see hopefully some good snowstorms.

Wow never seen a storm have 5 lightning strikes in 2-3 mins then dissipate almost completely in the next 15 mins. Interesting to watch on radar.

That storm may have promoted the following Tweet that went out a short time ago.

1. Extreme high water and flooding conditions in some rivers creeks and streams in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park

Good stuff Don and Mike let me know were you are looking once you make an offer. Hvward ya we had some great rains today again for a total of .54 inches of rainfall. About 2 inches for 2 days. I am really liking this pattern and by the way next week looks Awesome for the first of August. More Fall like than anything.

Awesome man!  The shot of Asheville is taken from Crest Mtn.  If you take Patton Ave. and go towards Leicester its a gated community right near the high school.  If you are lucky the lower construction gate will be open and you can go to the top.  Anyone looking to make time-lapses should get the program Panolapse.  It will compile the video from the pictures for you along with creating a panning or zooming look.  Let me know if you need any help, I would be more then happy to answer any questions.

Thanks for these awesome tips! My goal for the year is to get a picture with clouds rolling below me, although trying to nail the location of fog will be a tall task.

Winds gusting to 69 mph at Grandfather this morning which is suggestive on just how energetic the system that is moving in later today is. Expecting to see lots of severe reports.

Ya this evening and tonight should be very interesting with the storms. I cannot get over the deep trough that is coming into the East. I mean going into August with highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Pretty amazing.

Wow-quite the storms last night! 1 to 3" of rain fell in the Balsams(4" report in Madison County), golf ball size in Waynesville and wind damage reports as well near Soco Gap.  Training storms was responsible for some of the bigger totals. Disdrometer graph for the mountain top shows storms lasted 6 hours.

July has really turned wet with 9" to as much as a foot of rain for the month in the Balsams.  

Archived