• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring and Summer thread for the Mountains

Met1985

So far our total is 1.70 inches of rainfall which is what we have really needed is a good widespread rainfall. I took a look at the Euro and that would be snow for the mountains but I do not buy it just yest. The Euro has been hinting at another arctic blast for part of the country but climo does not favor the SE in these situations. If this look can stay the next 3 days then I will bite. 

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ended up with just under 1.5 inches of rain for the event...I figured for the eastern slopes, we would be right on the cutoff of the heaviest rainfall.

And yes...the Euro is up to fun and games again...I would happily take another soaker if it came in the form of a cut-off and coastal low.

local radio station report. Might be the coweeta hydro lab

Thanks! I am familiar with the Coweeta location(s).  However, the numbers reported from that last rainfall event appear to be relatively modest although how they report the rainfall is rather squirrelly so not sure: 

http://amazon.nws.noaa.gov/nexhads2/jsp/interactiveDisplays/createChart.jsp?nesdis_id=AAB69250&nwsli=CWTN7&pe_code=PP

They have multiple gauges at different elevations ranging from 2245 to 4475 feet elevation and isn't clear which is which although there is about 32% increase in rainfall from the bottom gauge to the top one.  Average rainfall ranges from about 70 down below to about 90 at the top of the ridge.

A nice discussion about the climate there can be found here: 

http://coweeta.uga.edu/publications/10704.pdf

post-9361-0-72334000-1396951635_thumb.jp

This morning's "snowstorm" as depicted by the disdrometer located on the mtn top. (APU04)

Looks like it lasted for about 4 hours with very light intensity with a couple of brief spikes of moderate intensity.

Then look at APU08 located at the base of the mtn. Very little detected during the same time frame and likely in the form of rain.  Very cool! :sled:

post-9361-0-21945200-1397060988_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-48424200-1397061123_thumb.jp

To add to discussion regarding yesterday morning's snowstorm caused by a NW flow situation...I've combined disdrometer data from the top of Clingmans Dome, the base of my mtn (Balsam Gap) and the top of my mtn. (6100 Mt. Lyn Lowry) 

The chart shows precip intensity as a function of time.  As you can see..precip started at Clingman's Dome at 4Z but didn't reach my mtn till 10 Z.  It lasted almost 10 hours along the TN line but only 4 hours at the downwind location. (The precip stopped at all locations at about the same time which is rather interesting.)The snow intensity was far more intense as well along the TN line. Overall, only about 50% of the snow from NW Flow situations that occurs along TN reaches my downwind location which is about 19 miles away.

Since the weather pattern currently is about as exciting as watching paint dry..found some rather cool Western North Carolina Mountain Meteorology classroom material that is worth the read.

It can be found here: http://www.atms.unca.edu/dmiller/courses/spr2014.html

(Biltmore Presentation)

and here:  http://www.atms.unca.edu/dmiller/atmsmntn/atms373_2014.html

(In particular Lecture Packets)

Lots of interesting gems of information. For instance-did you know that 83% of the convection that initiates on the West side of the mtns never reaches the East side of the mountains?  Also some very interesting info how how the mtns retard the movement of fronts.

Just recently-another very interesting article came out on a weather blog site:

http://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot.com/2014/04/a-cool-look-at-snowfall-in-little.html

It discusses fine-scale precipitation structures that were observed by the DOW mobile radar in the mtns of Utah during the passage of a cold front. Excellent read as some of exact same things occur when a cold front crosses the mtns of Western NC. Hopefully, similar data is observed locally during the intensive field campaign portion of the IPHEX study set to start May 1.

Pic below shows that precip echos are actually more intense in the lower elevations after a frontal passage as the low-level moist cold air can't ascent over the higher terrain. Enjoy!

post-9361-0-32981700-1397125009_thumb.jp

post-9361-0-48632000-1397125638_thumb.jp

Pic from yesterday atop Mt. Mitchell. It's Mid April right? (https://www.facebook.com/AppExposures )

Beautiful pic Mike Yes guys very cold for this time of the year. A heavy freeze/frost this morning. A cold 23 degrees! Franklin the last couple of days have felt fall like for sure. Euro still showing a shot of cold for us next week.

Euro ensemble looks pretty decent for at least snow showers if not an inch or two on the 16th for Boone.  27 members with accumulating snowfall.  This might surprise a few in the northern high mountains.  Even Asheville has 16 members with some type of accumulating snowfall and Franklin has 19 members.  Could be some token April flurries.

Euro ensemble looks pretty decent for at least snow showers if not an inch or two on the 16th for Boone.  27 members with accumulating snowfall.  This might surprise a few in the northern high mountains.  Even Asheville has 16 members with some type of accumulating snowfall and Franklin has 19 members.  Could be some token April flurries.

Ya looks like a nice cold shot for the mountains still. Would be nice for some accumulation snow this late in the game.

Euro still offering a nice shot of cold next week. Euro has been pretty consistent about this for severa runs know.

12z Edit:0z ensemble has 27 members with accumulating snowfall for KAVL Tuesday night into Wednesday.  33 members for Boone and 29 for Franklin show accumulating snowfall.  This is in the Euro Ensemble's wheelhouse so snowfall may not be to farfetched to consider. 

Edit: Got ahead of myself the 12z has 31 members with accumulating snowfall for KAVL.  43 for Boone and 37 for Franklin.

12z Edit:0z ensemble has 27 members with accumulating snowfall for KAVL Tuesday night into Wednesday.  33 members for Boone and 29 for Franklin show accumulating snowfall.  This is in the Euro Ensemble's wheelhouse so snowfall may not be to farfetched to consider. 

Edit: Got ahead of myself the 12z has 31 members with accumulating snowfall for KAVL.  43 for Boone and 37 for Franklin.

YA it is a good sign when the Euro is showing snow at this point in its forecast. 

Based on the NAM WRF

Wednesday morning looks to be solidly in the teens in the mountains with many 20s down into the Piedmont

iRpTLVH.png

Ya this is going to be a serious push of cold air. Looks like we will get another inch or two of rainfall from today through tomorrow then tomorrow night into Wednesday early morning I still think the higher elevations see some snowfall right along the TN/NC boarder.

Ya this is going to be a serious push of cold air. Looks like we will get another inch or two of rainfall from today through tomorrow then tomorrow night into Wednesday early morning I still think the higher elevations see some snowfall right along the TN/NC boarder.

Agreed Met both Nam and Gfs showing high mountain NWF signature.  Moisture looks to hang around for 6 hours or so.  It will be interesting to see if some flurries make it into the valley.  Euro gives KAVL .3" lol.

Archived