joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2014 Banter

Carvers Gap

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went up and saw the synchronous fireflies up near Gatlinburg last night...Really cool stuff. No pics unfortunately. Recommend to anyone who wants a cheap evening's entertainment. You just have to pay attention to when the passes go on sale each year...Generally around April 30 because they sell out in minutes (They are $1.50 per car...back breaker! )

Went up and saw the synchronous fireflies up near Gatlinburg last night...Really cool stuff. No pics unfortunately. Recommend to anyone who wants a cheap evening's entertainment. You just have to pay attention to when the passes go on sale each year...Generally around April 30 because they sell out in minutes (They are $1.50 per car...back breaker! )

Glad you made it up there. My favorite area of GSMNP. Saw them several years ago before they went big time. Awesome sight. Elkmont is beautiful country. I fish Little River once or twice per year. Used to fish it much more when I lived in Knoxville. Great area to hike. All of that area used to be a city back when they logged the Smokies.

Going back and reading this past winter's threads for the TN Valley is a treat. Crazy, crazy cold. Great discussions and observations. You know, if you are new to the board...just posting observations really helps. Those posts put into perspective the wx conversations at the time.

Agreed, it was a great winter to break in the new sub-forum!

DKoXjoV.png

Agreed, it was a great winter to break in the new sub-forum!

Love that pic.  I enjoy history...each thread represents a piece of history from this region.  Over time, if it lasts long enough, it becomes part of the "vernacular" climatological record.  I have always thought it would be pretty cool for future generations (sons, daughters, nieces, nephews) to read what we have written.  It provides a nice journal along w/ a connection to a place and people.  And the knowledge that is compiled in one place can be helpful.  But it is neat to go back and see Dr. Yes(LOL) and the discussion for one of TN's truly cold January's.  Whether new to the board or are a regular, has a ton of great info. 

Monday Madness was packed with adrenaline! First we armchair followed the Nebraska tornadoes. No chance to wind down late evening with 24 on TV. Middle event was likely the most thrilling. USA gets the 3 points, and gives most fans heart attacks in the process. That was so awesome! Sporting KC was involved in the goals, but the Ghana goal was a temporary heart breaker. Fortunately USA found a way. We need better possession against Portugal. If we can get a point or 3 out of that game, looks good to advance behind Germany. Go USA!! :clap:

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings all! Just thought I'd say howdy. Been catching up on threads here in the TN Valley Forum. Looks like y'all have done an admirable job keeping things going. We're not too far from August and as someone who works outside for a living, August and February are two sides of the same coin. You know there's at least a slight warm up coming in March and at least a slight cool down coming in September...so February and August are months to just "endure". I swear the heat and cold were easier to bear when I was about 15 years younger. :whistle:

But Fall isn't too far away! Fun Fest starts in Kingsport tomorrow, local school kids go back to school 3 weeks from Monday and UT Football kicks off in 52 days! So the signs are there...even if they're extremely distant. Or maybe it's the heat exhaustion talking. ;)

KV, good to hear from you! We may be in the FunFest parade tonight, my wife anyway at least. Mountains States Pediatric Group.

...I am a big fan of Yellowstone NP. I was reading some hogwash about temps in the mid-80s melting a road near the Firehole river - was most likely caused by the volcano underneath it. LOL. Anyway, ran across this video of a lightning strike on Shoshone Lake. Great footage and the guy is lucky to be alive.

http://youtu.be/NTnXU6FTySA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beginning this weekend we have "Real" football (either college or NFL) every weekend until February! I know we have Tennessee, FSU and VT fans in the TN Valley forum and I'm sure there's others as well. What do you guys think about having a Football Banter thread for our section of the board?  If it would be better to keep it mixed in with the usual Banter thread, I'm fine with that as well. Which is why I asked before starting a Football thread, of course.  ;)

Looking forward to Thursday for the game between Texas A&M and South Carolina. Should be a good one though I expect the Chickens to win. Of course Saturday's a full slate of games and then on Sunday it's a trip to Neyland to see UT take on Utah State. Utah State was a bowl team last year and though they've lost several folks on defense I think they'll be a big test for the Vols...especially UT's VERY young offense and defensive lines. If Utah State's quarterback Chuckie Keeton has returned to form from his knee injury it could be a very trying day for UT. I expect a close one and I fully expect to not be able to talk on Monday morning, which is usual for me after game day. I also expect it to be hot and humid in Neyland on Sunday evening...but on opening day that's a given.

Hope y'all's teams do well this week/weekend!

Weather Sunday should be hot. Utah State kids will not like humidity. Have one word for Sunday...Hurd. Went to the scrimmage last week. He is huge.

Agreed on the weather, Carver's. I was at the open practice as well. Hurd is a monster. I'm worried about the Vols' young O and D lines, however. I think it will take them a few games to gel and I hope it happens sooner than later. If they can't open holes for Lane and Hurd, it may be difficult for the RB's. However, having what could very well be the best receiving corp in the SEC this year should help, provided that Worley gets time to throw the ball with any accuracy...

What's this football thing you guys are talking about? Is it a type of sport or something?

Nope it's a reoccurring disease. It comes and goes.  A lot like Malaria in that regard, really...without the mosquitoes. Tends to have breakouts in late August and continual flare-ups until sometime in February. 

Archived