Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's exactly why I don't root for hurricanes anymore (Sandy).

It's not really about rooting for something or not rooting for something.

From a weather enthusiast standpoint I hope I get to experience something like that at least one more time in my life.

As a resident of New Jersey and as a human being I hope that the US never has another land falling hurricane again.

Looks like fun :whistle:

23tornado3_span-articleLarge.jpg

My buddy cody whos an air force staff sargeant at tinker AFB moved into moore,OK a few months after the tornado in the part of town that wasnt hit and he still sees empty slabs. Rebuilding is coming along nicely but they're are still constant reminders of what happened everywhere around town

Scary. I always wanted a hurricane as well. However, after seeing what sandy did, not even having my area hit the hardest, it just opened my eyes to how destructive they can be. Eventually, especially in SNE a cat 2-3 hurricane is going to come up the coast and people won't be prepared

It's one thing to see the destruction on TV and something completely different to experience it personally and have it affect you and most people you know, I'll put it that way.

Scary. I always wanted a hurricane as well. However, after seeing what sandy did, not even having my area hit the hardest, it just opened my eyes to how destructive they can be. Eventually, especially in SNE a cat 2-3 hurricane is going to come up the coast and people won't be prepared

This is what Sandy did to my area

530538_102234619951768_335460958_n.jpg

553131_102234636618433_2025710758_n.jpg

75082_102234689951761_399133251_n.jpg

293598_102234716618425_243249753_n.jpg

537168_102234733285090_316549027_n.jpg

602833_102234756618421_121609321_n.jpg

481272_102234796618417_1487612099_n.jpg

321051_102234833285080_1445344679_n.jpg

My area was an ocean on Monday night. I went to work that morning but I got out early because no one was coming into the store . We were the only store opened that day lol. I lost power that Monday night and didn't get it back until Friday night. I had to go to Staten Island for 2 days to stay with my aunt because she had power . She lives on the north shore so she didn't get hit. I went outside Tuesday morning to take photos of all the destruction around my area and I couldn't believe the damage. Everyone in my area was cleaning out their basements. The sidewalks were packed with water logged stuff. I was supposed to go into work that morning but I couldn't because the basement in CVS was flooded. At least 10 feet of water was down there and everything was ruined. CVS was closed for 1 month. I helped my friend out with his plumbing bussiness until CVS reopened. I remember going to Target the day before the storm and hearing people say that this storm is going to blow over and the media is just hyping it. I knew we were in trouble when I woke up Monday morning and saw the storm down to 942mb. What a beast this storm was. I got about an inch of rain but the winds were insane. I gusted to 85 mph a couple of times. The winds sounded like a train was passing. My house was shaking and there were transformers blowing up left and right around my area. It sounded like the 4th of July.

Yeah exactly, I can only imagine.

But lets be realistic. Our area is never going to see thunderstorm/tornado damage like that. Even when we say we want 'severe' weather it never truly is severe. Maybe some gusty winds and a little hail but nothing like the 70-80 mph wind gusts and constant lightning and golf ball sized hail like in the plains.

This is what Sandy did to my area

530538_102234619951768_335460958_n.jpg

553131_102234636618433_2025710758_n.jpg

75082_102234689951761_399133251_n.jpg

293598_102234716618425_243249753_n.jpg

537168_102234733285090_316549027_n.jpg

602833_102234756618421_121609321_n.jpg

481272_102234796618417_1487612099_n.jpg

321051_102234833285080_1445344679_n.jpg

My area was an ocean on Monday night. I went to work that morning but I got out early because no one was coming into the store . We were the only store opened that day lol. I lost power that Monday night and didn't get it back until Friday night. I had to go to Staten Island for 2 days to stay with my aunt because she had power . She lives on the north shore so she didn't get hit. I went outside Tuesday morning to take photos of all the destruction around my area and I couldn't believe the damage. Everyone in my area was cleaning out their basements. The sidewalks were packed with water logged stuff. I was supposed to go into work that morning but I couldn't because the basement in CVS was flooded. At least 10 feet of water was down there and everything was ruined. CVS was closed for 1 month. I helped my friend out with his plumbing bussiness until CVS reopened. I remember going to Target the day before the storm and hearing people say that this storm is going to blow over and the media is just hyping it. I knew we were in trouble when I woke up Monday morning and saw the storm down to 942mb. What a beast this storm was. I got about an inch of rain but the winds were insane. I gusted to 85 mph a couple of times. The winds sounded like a train was passing. My house was shaking and there were transformers blowing up left and right around my area. It sounded like the 4th of July.

Horrible. Most of you know my story and how my town fared. The storm itself and the aftermath from the storm is unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life by a million.

This is an article I found which describes how things went more or less.

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/austin/hurricane-sandy.html

My house was uninhabitable for months and had to be completely gutted/rebuilt, and estimates are that thousands of people in Long Beach still may not yet be back. Houses all over town are still being raised/rebuilt, many are still sitting there in the same condition as the day after the storm for lack of funds to rebuild, and our hospital is still shut down (although the hospital is closed now due to budget shortfalls, not the storm. The storm completely destroyed the bottom two floors of the hospital and the repairs took almost a year to complete).

Horrible. Most of you know my story and how my town fared. The storm itself and the aftermath from the storm is unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life by a million.

This is an article I found which describes how things went more or less.

http://www.askmen.com/entertainment/austin/hurricane-sandy.html

My house was uninhabitable for months and had to be completely gutted/rebuilt, and estimates are that thousands of people in Long Beach still may not yet be back. Houses all over town are still being raised/rebuilt, many are still sitting there in the same condition as the day after the storm for lack of funds to rebuild, and our hospital is still shut down (although the hospital is closed now due to budget shortfalls, not the storm. The storm completely destroyed the bottom two floors of the hospital and the repairs took almost a year to complete).

I couldn't believe the outcome. Thank god there wasn't a lot of rain. If there was, the flooding would have been much worse. The storm hit the worst time ( high tide, full moon ). I remember people were calling busts on this board and other boards when there was nothing going on during the afternoon time.  My father's friend's house on the south shore of Staten Island was destroyed. He had sand from the beach in his backyard and his basement was destroyed. He didn't have power for 3 weeks. This wasn't even a strong hurricane. Imagine if it was. Jeez. The track of the storm really did damage to our area.

I couldn't believe the outcome. Thank god there wasn't a lot of rain. If there was, the flooding would have been much worse. The storm hit the worst time ( high tide, full moon ). I remember people were calling busts on this board and other boards when there was nothing going on during the afternoon time.  My father's friend's house on the south shore of Staten Island was destroyed. He had sand from the beach in his backyard and his basement was destroyed. He didn't have power for 3 weeks. This wasn't even a strong hurricane. Imagine if it was. Jeez. The track of the storm really did damage to our area.

I remember reading those "bust" posts and laughing because I thought they would be the first people to be crying for mommy when the real action hit that night. It really wasn't all that bad in Long Beach either until about 6pm that night, which is when all hell literally broke loose. My street went from dry to 3 feet of water on it in 20 minutes. I still can't believe there were no deaths in Long Beach, given how many stayed and how many got severely flooded. Cars were also literally tossed around like toys, and thousands of dead cars and burnt cars were strewn all over town, along with the first two streets from the ocean being overtaken by sand and debris. There was a 50+ foot high mountain of sand placed in an open lot after the streets were cleared that we called "Mount Sandy". :lol:

Long Beach had no power for up to a month and no useable water for 10 days. The entire town was essentially uninhabitable for the first 10 days or so after.

I couldn't believe the outcome. Thank god there wasn't a lot of rain. If there was, the flooding would have been much worse. The storm hit the worst time ( high tide, full moon ). I remember people were calling busts on this board and other boards when there was nothing going on during the afternoon time. My father's friend's house on the south shore of Staten Island was destroyed. He had sand from the beach in his backyard and his basement was destroyed. He didn't have power for 3 weeks. This wasn't even a strong hurricane. Imagine if it was. Jeez. The track of the storm really did damage to our area.

I have to disagree that the storm would have been worse should there have been more rain. The flooding may have been slightly worse, yes. There may have been more trees uprooted, ok. I get that. However, look at all the fires that broke out from salt water hitting electrical boxes and then there being no rain to put it out. Look at breezy point. And it wasn't just breezy, it was everywhere along the south shore and Jersey too I'm sure.

The reason i made the decision to ride out the storm from my home on the south shore was because I new our house was just outside of the "100 year" flood plain by reviewing the detailed FEMA flood risk insurance maps. I knew that in "the worst car scenario" we would have water literally in all directions but not in our house. I understood the risk that we could potentially be cut off from any help for a few hours at the peak of the surge... When it actually started to happen I was still just amazed. You live in a spot for 25 years and even though you know all the risks, it's still jaw dropping to actually watch it unfold. I watched the water pass the "100 year" flood cut off and then continued to watch it crawl up my driveway... And then stop. As I went to pour myself a glass of scotch in mini celebration that the worst had not happened, I looked up out the window one more time and saw flames leaping up behind the houses in the distance. My heat stopped. I was flooded in, with no chance of any fire trucks able to get to the neighborhood. The wind was obviously still ripping and there was zero rain. That was the scariest situation I had ever been in. I had not planned for that. Somehow the fire ended up only taking down a handful of homes. I think the size of the property around those homes kept it from spreading like in breezy. I spent the entire night awake after that. Never did get to drink that scotch either. Later I spoke to some people who were closer to the fire. They actually left there homes in the middle of the storm because they were so scared their house was next to burn. Imagine being in a situation where it's Pitch black, there is 5 feet off water surrounding your house, winds howling at 80mph with trees and wires down in the water- and you are at the point where you see a fire coming towards your house that you feel your best option is to go out into that water to try and escape. Crazy night that was. But I truly believe the lack of rain took that whole situation up a notch and added to the destruction.

I remember reading those "bust" posts and laughing because I thought they would be the first people to be crying for mommy when the real action hit that night. It really wasn't all that bad in Long Beach either until about 6pm that night, which is when all hell literally broke loose. My street went from dry to 3 feet of water on it in 20 minutes. I still can't believe there were no deaths in Long Beach, given how many stayed and how many got severely flooded. Cars were also literally tossed around like toys, and thousands of dead cars and burnt cars were strewn all over town, along with the first two streets from the ocean being overtaken by sand and debris. There was a 50+ foot high mountain of sand placed in an open lot after the streets were cleared that we called "Mount Sandy". :lol:

Long Beach had no power for up to a month and no useable water for 10 days. The entire town was essentially uninhabitable for the first 10 days or so after.

My power flickered 3 times before I completely lost power. My house was the last house with power.  I lost power about 8pm that night. What was amazing is that I live about 6-7 long blocks from the Bay and I still received the water from there. I have never seen my area flooded like that before.

My power flickered 3 times before I completely lost power. My house was the last house with power.  I lost power about 8pm that night. What was amazing is that I live about 6-7 long blocks from the Bay and I still received the water from there. I have never seen my area flooded like that before.

Irene brought a few inches of water to most of my street, Sandy brought about 4 feet (the water got about to the level that the top of a car would be). There were whitecaps on top of that water coming down the street, along with floating debris including dead animals, fish, raw sewage, chemicals, parts of houses, buildings, the boardwalk, cars, etc. No one I spoke to who has lived in Long Beach for 50+ years has seen anything even close to the flooding we experienced from Sandy, and that includes Donna, the 1992 storm, Gloria, Irene, etc. Like I said before, there are still scores of homes sitting around in the same condition as the day after the storm-they have been abandoned, sold, or the owners just have no money to rebuild. Not to say we haven't come back from it, but it's been a much tougher climb for some than for others. I'm one of the fortunate ones.

The fires were also a major problem here-there were numerous car fires and a large fire in a part of town that destroyed a dozen homes. Obviously tons of downed trees, destroyed power infrastructure, and enormous salt water damage to trees and all other infrastructure it came into contact with. Hundreds, maybe thousands of additional trees had to be cut down because of salt water damage. The trees in front of my house barely grew back after the storm and probably have to be removed.

Irene brought a few inches of water to most of my street, Sandy brought about 4 feet (the water got about to the level that the top of a car would be). There were whitecaps on top of that water coming down the street, along with floating debris including dead animals, fish, raw sewage, chemicals, parts of houses, buildings, the boardwalk, cars, etc. No one I spoke to who has lived in Long Beach for 50+ years has seen anything even close to the flooding we experienced from Sandy, and that includes Donna, the 1992 storm, Gloria, Irene, etc. Like I said before, there are still scores of homes sitting around in the same condition as the day after the storm-they have been abandoned, sold, or the owners just have no money to rebuild. Not to say we haven't come back from it, but it's been a much tougher climb for some than for others. I'm one of the fortunate ones.

The fires were also a major problem here-there were numerous car fires and a large fire in a part of town that destroyed a dozen homes. Obviously tons of downed trees, destroyed power infrastructure, and enormous salt water damage to trees and all other infrastructure it came into contact with. Hundreds, maybe thousands of additional trees had to be cut down because of salt water damage. The trees in front of my house barely grew back after the storm and probably have to be removed.

I had about 6 inches of rain with Irene . The winds weren't strong at all around my area.

Still no hospital and emergency department in Long Beach after Sandy.

http://liherald.com/longbeach/stories/Residents-demand-reopening-of-LBMC,53911?page=2&content_source=

We have a fight on our hands,” Gruber said. “There are delays in travel time, there are further delays in turnaround time because the Long Beach population is now overwhelming the emergency room at South Nassau. This puts a big burden on our volunteer firefighters.”

Since the storm, patients with medical emergencies have been taken to Nassau University Medical Center, SNCH or other area facilities. But local fire officials complain that the trip takes too long — a Long Beach ambulance may not return for 90 minutes — strains the city’s resources and risk delays on the barriers island’s three bridges, especially in the busy summer months.

“Our transport time used to be five minutes or so to Long Beach hospital,” said Point Lookout-Lido Fire Department Commissioner Chas Thompson. “It’s now 20 to 25 minutes to South Nassau or Nassau University Medical Center. When we go on a call and we go to the hospital, it’s now taking two to three hours for a round trip, from the time we get the alarm to the time we’re back in house.”

Still no hospital and emergency department in Long Beach after Sandy.

http://liherald.com/longbeach/stories/Residents-demand-reopening-of-LBMC,53911?page=2&content_source=

We have a fight on our hands,” Gruber said. “There are delays in travel time, there are further delays in turnaround time because the Long Beach population is now overwhelming the emergency room at South Nassau. This puts a big burden on our volunteer firefighters.”

Since the storm, patients with medical emergencies have been taken to Nassau University Medical Center, SNCH or other area facilities. But local fire officials complain that the trip takes too long — a Long Beach ambulance may not return for 90 minutes — strains the city’s resources and risk delays on the barriers island’s three bridges, especially in the busy summer months.

“Our transport time used to be five minutes or so to Long Beach hospital,” said Point Lookout-Lido Fire Department Commissioner Chas Thompson. “It’s now 20 to 25 minutes to South Nassau or Nassau University Medical Center. When we go on a call and we go to the hospital, it’s now taking two to three hours for a round trip, from the time we get the alarm to the time we’re back in house.”

Yep, the idea that we're anywhere close to where we were before the storm is dead wrong.

http://liherald.com/longbeach/stories/Sandy-victims-to-rally-on-Saturday,53913

Unfortunately, I believe this is correct. Housing development continues along the immediate coast as well.

We should be good for about another 734 years, which is what models predict the return time is for a storm like Sandy. Next time a storm threat comes, I'll know it's bogus!!! Yayyy

all the immediate coastal communities from maine to texas are just disasters that haven't happened yet

Where i am on LI it would take a high end cat 5 for surge to reach me. People living along the coast while it may be nice to see the water and have easy access your asking for it when any sizable storm comes close and you literally inches or a foot or two above sea level

Archived