Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring 2014 Banter Thread

jm1220

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know right. Its not like they were the #1 seed. They just lost to a better team

They were the road team vs PITT , MON and LA

Game 2 was the series changer in LA . Agony in the end but was a pretty good run if u asked me.

They didn't choke anything away. They actually exceeded expectations. IMO it was a win when they eliminated Montreal.

They didn't play bad in this series. They lost close games, in OT, it happens. Despite the series being over in 5 games, they were not blown out in any sense.

No east team outside of the bruins could have challenged the west

As a die hard Devils fan I find it amusing. It was a fun exciting series to watch. I hate the Rangers with a burning passion and I was rooting for a sweep. The Ranger fans certainty never rooted for the Devils the 5 times we've gone to the finals in the past 20 years.

And how many Yankees fans root for the mets (assuming they ever get to the world series again)

Guest Pamela

As a die hard Devils fan I find it amusing. It was a fun exciting series to watch. I hate the Rangers with a burning passion and I was rooting for a sweep. The Ranger fans certainty never rooted for the Devils the 5 times we've gone to the finals in the past 20 years.

The NJ Devils played an integral role in the destruction of the NHL...the dump & chase philosophy espoused by Jacques Lemaire (so very much in contrast to his playing style with the Canadians) spread like a disease throughout the league during the mid 90's...and, combined with a few other factors...reduced the NHL from a place of prominence among the 4 major sports (still 4th, but definitely there) to a second rate league. 

The NJ Devils played an integral role in the destruction of the NHL...the dump & chase philosophy espoused by Jacques Lemaire (so very much in contrast to his playing style with the Canadians) spread like a disease throughout the league during the mid 90's...and, combined with a few other factors...reduced the NHL from a place of prominence among the 4 major sports (still 4th, but definitely there) to a second rate league. 

I disagree. You can't compare today's game to what happened pre lockout.

Guest Pamela

The Ranger fans certainty never rooted for the Devils the 5 times we've gone to the finals in the past 20 years.

Considering the laughably diluted talent pool that now passes for the NHL...20 trips in 20 years does not impress me.  If the Devils (or virtually most of the current NHL rosters) were in the Smythe Division during the 1980's...they would not even challenge for last place...

Guest Pamela

I disagree. You can't compare today's game to what happened pre lockout.

Since you were born in 1985 it is you who can't do the comparing...

They used to say that Lemaire would rather loose 2-1 then win 6-5 lol.

Guest Pamela

They used to say that Lemaire would rather loose 2-1 then win 6-5 lol.

...and he was such a great player on one of the two or three greatest teams of all time..

Guest Pamela

Modern History of the NHL / Condensed Version:

The NHL was at its best from the end of the last Canadiens dynasty / absorption of the WHA, i.e. circa 1979 until about 1994. I'd say the game peaked in 1985 with Edmonton taking their second Cup and most teams scoring over 300 goals during the season.
The first warning sign that things were headed the wrong way was when a Jean Perron coached bunch of defensive forwards whose offense consisted of Mats Naslund earned a fluke Cup in '86 because an Oilers defenseman famously put the puck in his own net in a game 7 quarterfinal against the Flames.
Next season, teams started to copy the Habs, though Edmonton ultimately prevailed over Philly in the Final. The trade of Coffey, and then Gretzky, (due to financial constraints) dissolved the most entertaining (and possibly greatest) team of all time. Hockey was still good, though the focus was now on Lemieux in Pittsburgh as the Pens earned two Cups in the early 90's. However new teams were being added to the fold as dreaded expansion slowly began to dilute the available talent pool. The Rangers took the Cup in '94, playing reasonably entertaining but disciplined hockey under Keenan, a Bowman disciple. But when New Jersey took the trophy in '95 with a good team that played dump and chase and the trap, the beginning of the end was upon us. The fact that there are some teams out there today that cannot average 2.5 goals per game tells you all you need to know about a once great sport that has devolved into something far less than what it once was...          

Modern History of the NHL / Condensed Version:

The NHL was at its best from the end of the last Canadiens dynasty / absorption of the WHA, i.e. circa 1979 until about 1994. I'd say the game peaked in 1985 with Edmonton taking their second Cup and most teams scoring over 300 goals during the season.

The first warning sign that things were headed the wrong way was when a Jean Perron coached bunch of defensive forwards whose offense consisted of Mats Naslund earned a fluke Cup in '86 because an Oilers defenseman famously put the puck in his own net in a game 7 quarterfinal against the Flames.

Next season, teams started to copy the Habs, though Edmonton ultimately prevailed over Philly in the Final. The trade of Coffey, and then Gretzky, (due to financial constraints) dissolved the most entertaining (and possibly greatest) team of all time. Hockey was still good, though the focus was now on Lemieux in Pittsburgh as the Pens earned two Cups in the early 90's. However new teams were being added to the fold as dreaded expansion slowly began to dilute the available talent pool. The Rangers took the Cup in '94, playing reasonably entertaining but disciplined hockey under Keenan, a Bowman disciple. But when New Jersey took the trophy in '95 with a good team that played dump and chase and the trap, the beginning of the end was upon us. The fact that there are some teams out there today that cannot average 2.5 goals per game tells you all you need to know about a once great sport that has devolved into something far less than what it once was...          

The 94-95 Devils scored 2.84 GPG

Happy fathers day to you and everyone... my dad is 99 years old and still living in his home that he had built in 1958.

that's amazing...not many left from the greatest generation...my mother would be 99 if she was still alive...I hope I make it to next year...It's one day at a time when you're in the 'Autumn of the year'...

Archived