SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, and I'm not saying it was an exact scientific measurement, but if he measured 4" on the railing how far off could he be?

Depends on where it was in relation to the house.  If you haven't already, you should view the snow measurement video the NWS put together a while ago.  Its on YouTube and is primarily narrated by the director of the CoCoRaHS program.  Start at 4 minutes for why decks are bad.

Depends on where it was in relation to the house.  If you haven't already, you should view the snow measurement video the NWS put together a while ago.  Its on YouTube and is primarily narrated by the director of the CoCoRaHS program.  Start at 4 minutes for why decks are bad.

The measurement he made on the deck railing was pretty close to what he received in his yard, eyeballing it. Don't we have any other posters in Hewitt or the Warwick area that can verify this?

The measurement he made on the deck railing was pretty close to what he received in his yard, eyeballing it. Don't we have any other posters in Hewitt or the Warwick area that can verify this?

Glancing through the CoCoRaHS reports, no one reported more than an inch in NJ, though there weren't any observations from northwestern Passaic. 

Glancing through the CoCoRaHS reports, no one reported more than an inch in NJ, though there weren't any observations from northwestern Passaic. 

Hewitt is I believe the highest point in Passaic County. It borders Vernon to the west and Warwick, NY to the northeast. It's a few hundred feet higher in elevation than the rest of West Milford Township. In fact, a few times I have experienced rain in the center of town while it was snowing or freezing rain up in Hewitt. They have received some nasty ice storms over the years up there.

Eye (I)  like the eyeballing method.  Gets some great totals that way.  Almost as good as the PDOOMA method.

This is not the latest guideline, is it?  Otherwise, I under-measured slightly this winter.

I.e., the day in late February when we had two separate accumulating snow showers.  In the video it says to sum the maximum accumulation from each separate snow shower.

They are pretty clear that measuring new snowfall as the greatest new depth over a 24 hour period is optimal, but still leave room for wiping a board as often as every 6 hours.  I think this is outdated.

This is not the latest guideline, is it?  Otherwise, I under-measured slightly this winter.

I.e., the day in late February when we had two separate accumulating snow showers.  In the video it says to sum the maximum accumulation from each separate snow shower.

They are pretty clear that measuring new snowfall as the greatest new depth over a 24 hour period is optimal, but still leave room for wiping a board as often as every 6 hours.  I think this is outdated.

Correct, this was originally made for the earlier regulations.  That said, the points about siting are still completely valid.

Upton posted this on their facebook page. ISP and LGA had their latest measurable snows recorded yesterday:

At Islip, NY (official climate location), 0.2" of snow fell on the morning of April 16. This becomes the latest measurable snow (0.1" or greater) since records began at this location in 1984. The previous was April 10, 1996 with 4".

At LaGuardia, NY (official climate location), 0.2" of snow also fell on the morning of April 16. This becomes the latest measurable snow (0.1" or greater) since records began at this location in 1945. The previous was April 15, 2014 with 0.1", which also broke the record of 0.3" on April 14, 1950.

Must have been all the palm trees and their warming influence on the soils. We are, after all, in a subtropical climate.

According to NUMEROUS gov't agencies and climatologists, we are in that zone.  According to the US Dept of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, we are in a climate zone that stretches from Northern GA to the immediate NYC metro and Long Island:

https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/index.jsp?state=Georgia

https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/index.jsp?state=New%20York

According to the Koppen classification system, we are in the Cfa (humid subtropical) zone because our coldest month's mean temp is between -3C and 18C.  We squarely fit into that, as our avg Jan temp is 0.5C.  Y'all can joke all ya want, but take it up with Koppen if you disagree.  Oh wait, he died 74 years ago.  Sorry.

According to NUMEROUS gov't agencies and climatologists, we are in that zone.  According to the US Dept of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, we are in a climate zone that stretches from Northern GA to the immediate NYC metro and Long Island:

https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/index.jsp?state=Georgia

https://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCodeReqs/index.jsp?state=New%20York

According to the Koppen classification system, we are in the Cfa (humid subtropical) zone because our coldest month's mean temp is between -3C and 18C.  We squarely fit into that, as our avg Jan temp is 0.5C.  Y'all can joke all ya want, but take it up with Koppen if you disagree.  Oh wait, he died 74 years ago.  Sorry.

Maybe we can find his grave and plant a nice thick palmetto on top of it.

Further to that point, I'd say with some minor exceptions, the immediate NYC proper is squarely in this zone, especially when it comes to nighttime temps.  Temps in winter infrequently dip below 25F (winters like this being a glaring exception), and the growing season is much longer than in areas with similar latitudes.

Further to that point, I'd say with some minor exceptions, the immediate NYC proper is squarely in this zone, especially when it comes to nighttime temps. Temps in winter infrequently dip below 25F (winters like this being a glaring exception), and the growing season is much longer than in areas with similar latitudes.

Says the boy from Virginia

Says the boy from Virginia

He's got a point, the differences though from the immediate metro to just beyond can be quite dramatic especially with nighttime temps and the growing season. The UHI has a dramatic effect with this obviously. How many times can temps be around 30F in the city and in the teens or lower just outside, it's crazy.

He's got a point, the differences though from the immediate metro to just beyond can be quite dramatic especially with nighttime temps and the growing season. The UHI has a dramatic effect with this obviously. How many times can temps be around 30F in the city and in the teens or lower just outside, it's crazy.

Going strictly by the Koppen climate scheme, this is not correct.  I think many of us know how well Somerville likes to radiate, but its January normal, which is considerably colder than NYC's, is still only -1.7C which still places it within the -3 to +18C zone.  I wouldn't say its "well within" and I wouldn't say that Koppen was all that well thought out (-3 to +18 is a huge range), but based strictly on Koppen, the city and most burbs are Humid Sub-tropical.

The closest airports with normals below -3C in January would appear to be Sussex/Andover in Jersey, Poughkeepsie in New York, and Danbury in Connecticut.

At least over the last 30 years of winters, some locations around the Northeast than can radiate under the right conditions

are warming much faster than NYC. 

Archived