joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2014 discussion

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

interesting - so if you get an inch of rain in a 2 hour period it is a washout if it doesn't rain at all before or after ?

An inch of rain is usually equivalent to 10 inches of snow with 10:1 ratios, and if you get 10 inches in 2 hours thats a massive thump (just like it's a washout with rain)

The rain later this morning looks steady and maybe even somewhat heavy at times as it moves eastward. HRRR has this pinpointed. Although clouds may thin later today, the NAM is going to end up being way too warm with its mid 60's temperature forecast from yesterday. 

The later part of this week looks terrible with a warm front to our south and easterly winds here.

The rain later this morning looks steady and maybe even somewhat heavy at times as it moves eastward. HRRR has this pinpointed. Although clouds may thin later today, the NAM is going to end up being way too warm with its mid 60's temperature forecast from yesterday.

The later part of this week looks terrible with a warm front to our south and easterly winds here.

Early indications look like next week may not be that stellar either, but at this time looks like there may be a couple "warmer" and nicer days in there however john....

I was just gonna post that today looks like a bust. So much for 65 and partly sunny. Looks like a few hours of rain with some late afternoon clearing if we're lucky.

I was just gonna post that today looks like a bust. So much for 65 and partly sunny. Looks like a few hours of rain with some late afternoon clearing if we're lucky.

The cold/raw April seemed to be in the cards for a while. With the waters so cold, backdoor fronts will find whatever opportunity they can to come through, and warm fronts will have a hard time making it through the area. Whenever you see low heights or a trough northeast of us, you know the writing is on the wall for a raw maritime airmass. This looks to be the case for quite some time unfortunately. The MJO is also in a configuration that should keep it cold.

The overall trend today has been to make the system for the end of this week less progressive. For example on today's 12z GFS the cold front is still hung up over Ohio on Friday night while on the 00z GFS it was much drier and further east.

The GFS also attempts to develop a secondary along the warm front on Friday night. If that happens we should see an enhanced period of rainfall along and north of the front.

Light rain here at 47F, not the upper 50s that were predicted.

Last of the ice is gone from my pond as of today. Mixed emotions about seeing one of the more impressively cold winters of recent memory melt away, but I took my rod and reel out for the first time this season to solidify the change of seasons. The fish aren't biting as expected, but it's still a nice afternoon. Just a couple residual piles of snow around (the one at the top of my driveway has existed in some form since late January). Still hard-pressed to find much new plant growth, save the flowering bulbs.

Archived