• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2014 Official Spring Discussion

mackerel_sky

Yea we heard this one before. Believe it when I see it.

ditto lol.  after the last one that was supposed to be even more rain and we got nothing i wont buy it til its here.  we could use some rain so fingers are crossed.  still in the skeptical mode imby

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ditto lol.  after the last one that was supposed to be even more rain and we got nothing i wont buy it til its here.  we could use some rain so fingers are crossed.  still in the skeptical mode imby

Yep I am hoping for the 2" predicted here. I still have memories of that bad drought a few years ago and all the plants it killed and damage it did. We go more than a couple of weeks without rain and I start to get nervous.

I've had almost that many days in the 90's already  :P   

CAE and GSP say my trip around the state tomorrow will be a rainy one  :)   

CAE......

.SHORT TERM /6 AM THURSDAY MORNING THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

HIGH CONFIDENCE FOR CATEGORICAL POPS THURSDAY AHEAD OF APPROACHING

COLD FRONT. UPPER LEVEL FORCING SHOULD BE STRONG AND COMBINED

WITH INCREASING TROPICAL MOISTURE FLUX/ISENTROPIC LIFT DURING THE

DAY EXPECT WIDESPREAD SHOWERS. AIR MASS LIKELY WEAKLY UNSTABLE

SUGGESTING EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS. BUT OVERALL SEVERE THREAT

APPEARS LOW GIVEN WEAK CAPE AND INCREASINGLY MOIST ADIABATIC

THERMODYNAMIC PROFILES. PRECIPITABLE WATER INCREASING TO NEAR 2.00

INCHES ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE EAST MIDLANDS AND MODELS SHOW WEAK

AREA LOW PRESSURE MOVING NORTHEAST ALONG FRONTAL BOUNDARY. THIS

WILL RESULT IN STRONG/ENHANCED LOW LEVEL CONVERGENCE ACROSS THE AREA

DURING THE AFTERNOON...SO LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN POSSIBLE. FLASH FLOOD

GUIDANCE IS HIGH AND FRONTAL SYSTEM MOVING RAPIDLY SO SIGNIFICANT

FLOODING NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

SREF QPF PLUME FORECASTS SUGGEST HIGH CONFIDENCE FOR AT LEAST 1 INCH

OF RAIN AND UP TO AROUND 2 INCHES. HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE TO THE

NORTH AND WEST OF THE AREA DUE TO UPSLOPE FLOW. THE HEAVY

RAINFALL ACROSS THE HEADWATERS OF THE AREA RIVERS MAY EVENTUALLY

LEAD TO SOME RIVER FLOODING IN THE DAYS TO COME ACROSS THE

MIDLANDS.

I guess no ones talking about the rain tomorrow !? I guess because its missing 85% of NC? One model has a .50-1.00 inch total , I'll take it!

If the people who are forecasted to be affected don't post I don't see another solution. It really has nothing to do with states.

Looks like an unsettled weather pattern for alot of us from Memorial Day through the rest of next week. Thoughts? The weekend is looking nice temp wise and dry!

Yeah, everything looks pretty dry through the upcoming Memorial Day Weekend, I've been noticing on the GFS that our ridge breaks down and after the holiday a general weakness forms in the Southeast which allows typical early June convective chances.

GFS still showing the tropical development in the long range, and actually moving the time frame up. Might not be phantom at all. It also looks like rainy season/ pop up thunderstorm season will start this Sunday.

Also I thought this was interesting. Like usual the model almost never pick up on these.

NWS Jacksonville

AS MID-LEVEL RIDGING RETROGRADES SLIGHTLY

WESTWARD THIS WEEKEND...THE DOOR WILL BE OPEN FOR MESOSCALE

CONVECTIVE SYSTEMS (MCSS) TO PROPAGATE INTO OUR REGION FROM THE

NORTHWEST. 00Z OPERATIONAL GFS/ECMWF/NAM NOT YET DEPICTING SUCH A

SCENARIO...BUT THIS WILL BE MONITORED CLOSELY GIVEN THE VERY STEEP

LAPSE RATES THAT WILL BE IN PLACE OVER OUR REGION ON SAT.

GFS still showing the tropical development in the long range, and actually moving the time frame up. Might not be phantom at all. It also looks like rainy season/ pop up thunderstorm season will start this Sunday.

Also I thought this was interesting. Like usual the model almost never pick up on these.

NWS Jacksonville

AS MID-LEVEL RIDGING RETROGRADES SLIGHTLY

WESTWARD THIS WEEKEND...THE DOOR WILL BE OPEN FOR MESOSCALE

CONVECTIVE SYSTEMS (MCSS) TO PROPAGATE INTO OUR REGION FROM THE

NORTHWEST. 00Z OPERATIONAL GFS/ECMWF/NAM NOT YET DEPICTING SUCH A

SCENARIO...BUT THIS WILL BE MONITORED CLOSELY GIVEN THE VERY STEEP

LAPSE RATES THAT WILL BE IN PLACE OVER OUR REGION ON SAT.

Seems like the GFS treats long range tropical threats the same as it does wintry threats ! Long range looks promising only to not come to fruition! I like the way the ridge keeps setting up over the southern plains, that keeps us on the fringes and not the severe heat. It seems to be a dry pattern around most of the southeast, with occasional complexes of storms riding down the apps.

Seems like the GFS treats long range tropical threats the same as it does wintry threats ! Long range looks promising only to not come to fruition! I like the way the ridge keeps setting up over the southern plains, that keeps us on the fringes and not the severe heat. It seems to be a dry pattern around most of the southeast, with occasional complexes of storms riding down the apps.

It's still showing the tropical system! It's not at the same time either.

12z GFS looked very unsettled with widespread showers and thunderstorms each day for most of the SE.

Both the European and GFS coming around to the evolution of what may be happening in the tropics a week from now?

Just looking at the afternoon runs, there seems to be the notion that a couple 850mb vorts will soon lie from the Bay of Campeche southward through Tehuantepec an into the East Pac with eventually the northern area become dominant and spawning an area of surface low pressure in the Bay of Campeche by mid to late next week...this system develops some and it pulls either northward or northeast in the days 6-8...

This afternoon's run showed some similarities, for example here is a look at the GFS...

Day 3:

Day 5

Day 7

Euro is a little different in that it actually takes the southern bundle of energy, develops it and then pulls it due north through the Straight and into the Gulf. That to me sounds like a simple error in the model in which 850 vort to develop...with that said the players on are on the table on both global models, that in itself has sparked my interest, we shall see in future runs...

Day 7

The summer thread has been started. I hope the summer is wetter than spring, but I don't see that happening. Despite the El Niño state , I'm pretty sure this summer/ year will be below normal precip wise , when all is said and done. Patterns repeat and we are having fronts and precip coming from the N/NW and those are not getting it done in the moisture department. We need a weak tropical storm to come our way from the gulf, but El Niño is suppose to inhibit tropical activity!? So we are doubly screwed by El Niño ! :(

Archived