joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Signs of Spring Thread

iceman56

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I went outside early to do some yard work before the rain came, and it felt really like spring, because of the weather, the fact that it's almost April, and because for the first time in a long while, there is no real threat locally of either snowfall or weather cold enough for snow. We could still see some wintry weather and I'm fine with that, but the chances are diminishing fast and when it comes to April, I do enjoy the spring weather.

With the sun Monday and Tuesday and a bit of rain yesterday, the biggest change here has been the grass actually starting to green up. Have a couple of crocuses flowering, a few daffodils ready to flower, and a magnolia tree looks about ready to do the same. Still no flowers on the forsythia though, which is about as late as I can remember for that. Haven't noticed any buds on the silver maple yet. I'm guessing the trees will be a week or so behind with leafing out (normally mid April to mid May around here for most trees, with a couple of stragglers normally needing till closer to Memorial Day).

Other than the grass finally greening up (not done yet), the only sign of spring here is these daffodils (or crocuses?) just beginning to come up out of the ground.

Forsythias are still bare, as it everything else, save for red buds on some trees (juniper, cedar, or maple). The cherry blossoms buds are barely cracking open, which is the latest I can remember for that. Usually peak bloom is somewhere around 10th-15th of April, but we'll probably be lucky to make the 15th-20th this year. I recall 2003, the cherries didn't reach peak until after the 20th, which was an extremely delayed spring.

Larger trees still have leaves on from the autumn on some of them.

23wabew.jpg

My crocus started a bloom today which makes 4 to 5 weeks later than usual. Also noticed daffodils are 3 weeks behind as they look to bloom next week

Most interesting is the lawn is dead as i can ever remember for this time of year. Couple less cuts this season no complaints on that. Last year was brutal with the rain the lawn just kept going like the energizer bunny

My crocus started a bloom today which makes 4 to 5 weeks later than usual. Also noticed daffodils are 3 weeks behind as they look to bloom next week

Most interesting is the lawn is dead as i can ever remember for this time of year. Couple less cuts this season no complaints on that. Last year was brutal with the rain the lawn just kept going like the energizer bunny

Yeah, it was great for growth in the spring - I had redone part of the lawn the fall before and last spring was very kind to the new grass. I'm guessing about 2 weeks from now for the first cut this year down this way.

I've noticed some potholes being fixed.  The only snow I see now is the formerly MASSIVE pile that is down to about 2 feet in the Trexlertown Redners/Giant complex.  (not counting ski areas lol)  If it gets over 50 tomorrow I can give my new car it's first waxing :)  I think it's going to need it badly.....I foresee quite a bit of the "tar and stone" roadwork coming to an area near me soon :( 

• 2 weeks later...

More signs of spring - forsythia began flowering last Thursday, the 10th of April. Magnolias began around the same time. As of today have some fruit trees with white flowers appearing. Saw some cabbage butterflies over the weekend. Sweated while doing yard work in shorts and tee shirt. Grass is really getting green, some areas could be cut, but will wait until the end of the week.

I was THAT close to turning the central A.C. on for a cycle yesterday.  Today it's not quite as warm.  I'm nearing the date of last seen snowfall in this area during my lifetime.  (that stuck anyway......4-23-....1986 I think)

lol, I actually had the same thought, but the walls are still cool enough that it was cooler inside, as if the ac was on, which was nice.

About the last snowfall date, we had a few posts last month about April 19th and 20th, 1983, where I think PHL got almost an inch, and out in the burbs there were a few inches (I think Iceman said they had 8" in Chester County). In western Delco we had around 3 to 4". I believe that's the date for PHL proper for the last measurable snow. I don't remember 4-23-86, but maybe there was no snow down this way for that one.

I was THAT close to turning the central A.C. on for a cycle yesterday. Today it's not quite as warm. I'm nearing the date of last seen snowfall in this area during my lifetime. (that stuck anyway......4-23-....1986 I think)

Yo guys...little trick this time of year when it starts to get hot out...

Turn just the blower fan on for your furnace/AC unit and it will circulate 50s ish degree air up from the basement!!

Saves some pennies/bucks too!

Hyacinths and daffodils in full bloom and the lawn getting greener every day.  I'd say it's all great to see, except it means I am going to need to mow this upcoming weekend (and yes, I am not a big fan of yardwork...I probably should live in a condo or an apartment).

I was THAT close to turning the central A.C. on for a cycle yesterday.  Today it's not quite as warm.  I'm nearing the date of last seen snowfall in this area during my lifetime.  (that stuck anyway......4-23-....1986 I think)

Heh...my wife practically begged me to turn on the AC when the temp in the house got up to 78 with all of the windows open and ceiling fans on.  But I managed to hold off...probably until we have a day with high temps of 80+ degrees.

Heh...my wife practically begged me to turn on the AC when the temp in the house got up to 78 with all of the windows open and ceiling fans on.  But I managed to hold off...probably until we have a day with high temps of 80+ degrees.

Sunday was over 80 here, Friday and yesterday were pretty close, but I'd be fine with 60's and 70's through the end of the month and beyond. Looks good into next week from here.

lol, I actually had the same thought, but the walls are still cool enough that it was cooler inside, as if the ac was on, which was nice.

About the last snowfall date, we had a few posts last month about April 19th and 20th, 1983, where I think PHL got almost an inch, and out in the burbs there were a few inches (I think Iceman said they had 8" in Chester County). In western Delco we had around 3 to 4". I believe that's the date for PHL proper for the last measurable snow. I don't remember 4-23-86, but maybe there was no snow down this way for that one.

I can't remember the snow's of April 1983......not sure if we got any or not.  In 1986 that was the wettest snow I've ever seen that stuck, and down at 300' in Red Hill PA they barely had a coating, so anywhere south/lower then there probably didn't get anything.  (at my old home at 800' we had about 6~7" of snow so wet, when you stepped in it, it all stuck to your shoe.  Perfect footprints!)  My memory kicks in right around 1984~85 as far as being more sharp in weather details.  Before that I only remember the obvious things.  (like Feb 11, 1983 lol......can't remember anything else about that winter other then that big storm and that it didn't last that long)

I can't remember the snow's of April 1983......not sure if we got any or not.  In 1986 that was the wettest snow I've ever seen that stuck, and down at 300' in Red Hill PA they barely had a coating, so anywhere south/lower then there probably didn't get anything.  (at my old home at 800' we had about 6~7" of snow so wet, when you stepped in it, it all stuck to your shoe.  Perfect footprints!)  My memory kicks in right around 1984~85 as far as being more sharp in weather details.  Before that I only remember the obvious things.  (like Feb 11, 1983 lol......can't remember anything else about that winter other then that big storm and that it didn't last that long)

Believe it or not, Willow Grove actually had 7 inches of snow...  3 inches fell around Trenton. 

Was that on the ground, or recorded?  I had that on the ground, if I were keeping records with a snowboard it would have been a higher amount.  (because it was melting as it was falling)

On the ground.  As with many spring storms, it probably depended on where the heavier bands set up to overcome the low level warmth.

Archived