SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley - 2014

Animal

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you guys realize that BOS had a liquid equivalent of 1.05" for 24.4" of snow? That's a 23:1 ratio. I'm pretty sure just about every model had them at 2" or more of QPF. Could you imagine if those forecasts verified!

The euro got the qpf wrong as well as the ratios it only got lucky with the storm totals because of the high ratios!

12z NAM looks good for 2-3". Sim radar looks pretty scattered throughout the overnight, but then tries to develop a more enhanced area of precipitation tomorrow morning as the low deepens once it reaches the coast. Not sure if that's likely to happen, but we'll see what the rest of the 12z suite shows. It does look like temps will plummet once the low gets going and starts to pull down some cold air. Temperatures dropping from 35 tomorrow afternoon to possibly near zero Saturday morning. 

Checked out some stats and KPOU got down to -5 last night, my low was 2 above. My coldest night of the year (-2 in early January), the airport had a low of 5 above.

12z NAM looks good for 2-3". Sim radar looks pretty scattered throughout the overnight, but then tries to develop a more enhanced area of precipitation tomorrow morning as the low deepens once it reaches the coast. Not sure if that's likely to happen, but we'll see what the rest of the 12z suite shows. It does look like temps will plummet once the low gets going and starts to pull down some cold air. Temperatures dropping from 35 tomorrow afternoon to possibly near zero Saturday morning. 

Checked out some stats and KPOU got down to -5 last night, my low was 2 above. My coldest night of the year (-2 in early January), the airport had a low of 5 above.

I will never consider the NAM again for any event until the models gets a significant upgrade.

The 18 Z NAM fiasco on Monday was my last dance with it.

I will never consider the NAM again for any event until the models gets a significant upgrade.

I don't disagree, but I don't think you ignore it completely. Just use it as another piece of guidance. If all the models show 2-4" for this particular event and the NAM shows the same, it can be helpful to justify a forecast. Plus it still is a mesoscale model that might pick up on things that the globals might not. The 12z RGEM, btw, shows a very similar scenario to the NAM.

I'm not sure what people expected to come of a dissenting 18z NAM run, honestly. I don't think it's any more or less valid now than it was last weekend... it is what it is.

GGEM is gonna cave to GFS solution.. Looks like the best bet we have at the moment is this clippe and mid week next week

Enjoy the winter for what it is! There's been, and will continue to be, sustained cold, tonight will be our third accumulating snowfall within a week, and there are several storm chances in the long range. I think any of us would have taken that if asked in December or early January.

Enjoy the winter for what it is! There's been, and will continue to be, sustained cold, tonight will be our third accumulating snowfall within a week, and there are several storm chances in the long range. I think any of us would have taken that if asked in December or early January.

I agree 100%, I hate how if you say anything now in that storm thread that doesn't imply a major storm on the horizon 10 people attack you and think your being sour and biased from this past storm.. Lmao, if more people questioned the blizzard and lack of short term model support the day before and day of instead of hugging the biggest snow model we woulda had alt less let down ;)

I agree 100%, I hate how if you say anything now in that storm thread that doesn't imply a major storm on the horizon 10 people attack you and think your being sour and biased from this past storm.. Lmao, if more people questioned the blizzard and lack of short term model support the day before and day of instead of hugging the biggest snow model we woulda had alt less let down ;)

There seems to be this perception in the main forum that this region is bitter about not getting much snow from the last storm. I don't see that one bit. I think many of us are aware that all it takes is to look out the window between late December and mid March and realize that, by and large, there's a fairly significant difference in winter climate up here.

There seems to be this perception in the main forum that this region is bitter about not getting much snow from the last storm. I don't see that one bit. I think many of us are aware that all it takes is to look out the window between late December and mid March and realize that, by and large, there's a fairly significant difference in winter climate up here.

Too funny. We are bitter.

I really don't care if snows or does not snow. Just a hobby and interst for me personally.

I wish was in the 70's now.

The cold this morning was a little too much.

Archived