Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 17-19th Potential Storm.

Heisy

Well, not lately ;)

One could even say "the season" is over.  Meteorological winter ended a couple of days ago.  ;)  I believe the pattern has certainly changed enough to make whatever happened earlier this winter a moot point......not that it can't change whenever it wants anyway.  Out latitude/elevation barely gets what qualifies as "winter weather" to begin with, let alone when the sun starts it's march towards summer.  One has to go well up into Canada to find temperatures we had just a week ago!  (Hudson Bay)

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One could even say "the season" is over.  Meteorological winter ended a couple of days ago.  ;)  I believe the pattern has certainly changed enough to make whatever happened earlier this winter a moot point......not that it can't change whenever it wants anyway.  Out latitude/elevation barely gets what qualifies as "winter weather" to begin with, let alone when the sun starts it's march towards summer.  One has to go well up into Canada to find temperatures we had just a week ago!  (Hudson Bay)

I haven't seen a mean map, but just from how things have gone lately and the way the maps have looked, it seems like the trough axis has been too far east for you guys to cash in. 

Great Lakes hanging on to ice in spots into May might help to keep a lid on temps well into spring here.

Can envision some late frosts this year.

Depends on the pattern.  If ridging takes over, the predominant air flow will switch more to a southwesterly direction and lingering snow/ice to the northwest will have little effect.  If troughs persist however, it may stay even cooler than the troughs themselves would normally suggest.

Would love to get a little analysis as to why,  especially from a NWS meteorologist.  (listening Ray?)

Here is a staff listing for reference at the Mount Holly office http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/staff.html. The system was a sheared out mess on the 12z EC with several low pressure centers.  Not likely to have part of the system jump way ahead of the trough centered in the Ohio Valley. 

Here is a staff listing for reference at the Mount Holly office http://www.erh.noaa.gov/phi/staff.html. The system was a sheared out mess on the 12z EC with several low pressure centers.  Not likely to have part of the system jump way ahead of the trough centered in the Ohio Valley.

Thanks for your reasoning and the staff listing.

This threat is dead fwiw. Winter is finally over and what a solid winter we had! Bring on severe season :-)

How is this threat dead? You realize the EURO ens/GFS ens/ and now the 12z GGEM looks really good....I don't think you realize how close the EURO was to a legit beast. 

+1 and we can't hug 1 model that shows a good solution

And you can't hug a model that doesn't show one....The EURO was so close last night, the ensembles look great....To annouce the threat is dead is simply way premature...The overall setup is there, its a good pattern for a march snowstorm. 

I dont understand people complaining about this thread or discussion, if you think it is premature, or are tired of winter or whatever, then don't read it. And if you think winter is over, great, but it is laughable to call a threat dead 6 days out.

This

Because people are "tired of winter" a storm doesn't have a chance??? It's like those tv news anchors saying "please no more white stuff" when they intro weather person. This is a weather site and a thread for a possible next week storm. Appreciate the work Highz.

I dont understand people complaining about this thread or discussion, if you think it is premature, or are tired of winter or whatever, then don't read it. And if you think winter is over, great, but it is laughable to call a threat dead 6 days out.

but the gfs is leading the way...looks like just a "threat" for now, nothing more nothing less so I guess technically its not dead

Archived