• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Interesting. Will be fun, and good for the gardens (if not the mother's Day festivities) in any case.

In the shorter term, though, the forecast is even more remarkable, predicting that parts of the area will just, well, disappear...

The afternoon BOU AFD

FOR FRIDAY...INCREASING MID AND HIGH LEVEL MOISTURE IN THE MORNING
FOR SOME MOUNTAIN WAVE CLOUDS AND SOME GUSTY WINDS OVER EAST
SLOPES. CONTINUED DRYING AND WARMER ON FRIDAY AS TEMPERATURES RISE
INTO THE MID AND UPPER 60S OVER THE PLAINS. THERE WILL STILL BE
SOME SHOWERS IN THE MOUNTAINS AND HIGHER TERRAIN BUT LOOKS TOO DRY
AND STABLE OVER MUCH OF THE PLAINS. HAVE REMOVED MOST OF THE
PLAINS FROM THE PLAINS.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now the Winter Storm Watch extends to all the cities north of the Palmer Divide, over to western Weld County, Adams County, and Arapahoe County. The 06z NAM has about 16" south of Denver on the Palmer Divide, and 36" for Rocky Mountain National Park. I think that's a little high.

700mb and 850mb for Sunday

post-1182-0-71045300-1399665594_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-96725200-1399665593_thumb.pn

some of the models (such as some of the NAM runs) have gone way high for Larimer County and the Cheyenne area. This 4km NAM run says 24"-30" for Larimer Co, Medicine Bow, Laramie Range (w of Cheyenne) and Park Range (Steamboat) and in fact even 8-10" for my house.

post-1182-0-67793000-1399743805_thumb.pn

Winter Storm Warning with 4-9" expected here. Could easily be more if some models verify, though.

The 12.2" Boulder saw last May was the most since 1978 and only the 3rd May since 1950 with more than 7" of snow. Looking pretty likely they could see back to back Mays with more than that, pretty remarkable.

I measured 4" in the yard (away from the tree) at about 5:00PM. I measured 6.9" in the yard this morning, and also I cleared about 5" off my car. I think we may have had a storm total of 8-10" with melting and compaction. (4"+5" =9" cleared off the car)

I measured 4" in the yard (away from the tree) at about 5:00PM. I measured 6.9" in the yard this morning, and also I cleared about 5" off my car. I think we may have had a storm total of 8-10" with melting and compaction. (4"+5" =9" cleared off the car)

Man would love to be out west right know in this late season snow storm. Post some pics would love to see the snow out there and enjoy.

In the previous thread, I posted "That brings me up to 36.2" for the season." I think I have had 0.5", 2", and 2" since then making it 40.7" for the season. Cheyenne is up in the 60-65 inch range.

40.7"+3.2" (April 13th) +6.9" (May 11-12) = 50.8" for the season at my place. Maybe a little more

Since I have lived in Colorado (2006-2007) the average seasonal snow has been 52.7" at Fort Collins, with monthly averages as follows:

5.7" in October

4.8" in November

14.0" in December

5.7" in January

7.9" in February

7.1" in March

5.6" in April

3.1" in May

some of these are significantly different from the 1981-2010 averages. Amazingly, May has been almost as snowy as November.

Storm total of probably 6" here, though never more than 4" on the ground with melting. Still pretty impressive for mid May.

Decent chance DEN sees their coldest low ever this late in the spring tonight. Projected low is in the mid 20s. All it will take is a low below 28.

SevereWx IMBY, Chinook for Wed/Thurs. Should be interesting.

Could be Denver's first brush with SevereWx in quite some time.

Was planning a chase trip for end of May in OKC area, might not need the trip anymore.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

Since last year, anyway, I guess... we had brief 1" hail twice at our house last June. I don't know what the skylights are rated for, hope it's more than that!

So far nothing's cooking, we'll see later. Winds are all upslope right now all along the Front Range so no "Denver cyclone"/convergence zone yet. Sky looks very stable when I peek outside.

Since last year, anyway, I guess... we had brief 1" hail twice at our house last June. I don't know what the skylights are rated for, hope it's more than that!

So far nothing's cooking, we'll see later. Winds are all upslope right now all along the Front Range so no "Denver cyclone"/convergence zone yet. Sky looks very stable when I peek outside.

Well that changed pretty quick! Big storms on the SW and NE sides of Denver now. Have some friends up in Evergreen that reported hail with the storm that moved through there a while ago.

Archived