• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

Here in Fort Collins, we briefly hit a 60 dew point today (with the evaporated water from last night) and the SPC analyzed CAPE is up above 3000 J/kg. I expect several heavy storms near the Front Range cities and E. Wyoming. (See SPC outlook)

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

severe thunderstorm watch 356

---

DISCUSSION...STORMS HAVE DEVELOPED ACROSS THE FRONT RANGE AND WILL   DRIFT EAST INTO INSTABILITY AXIS WHERE DEEPLY MIXED BOUNDARY LAYER   AND MODERATE CAPE WILL SUPPORT SCATTERED HAIL AND DOWNBURST WIND   EVENTS. CELL MERGERS AND SUPPORTIVE MOIST LOW LEVEL INFLOW MAY   RESULT IN A STORM CLUSTER OR TWO PERSISTING INTO THE EVENING HOURS   WITH WIND DAMAGE POTENTIAL SPREADING INTO ERN CO.

I went storm chasing and nearly got caught in this squall between Ault, Eaton, and Severance. I didn't know it would fill in so much between Ault and Ft. Collins. I was a few miles north of Ault, then 1/2" hail started to fall. Then I went west and south to avoid it. Then I started to hit a wall of rain between Eaton and Severance. Then I turned around and went to Eaton to be able to wait it out.

post-1182-0-37426800-1403906839_thumb.pn

post-1182-0-84572600-1403906702_thumb.pn

Thankfully, Colorado will not be as hot as other parts of the Mountain West. Death Valley CA forecast, almost as bad as last year's 128F in Death Valley:

Sunny and hot, with a high near 122. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.

It was a scorcher yesterday. Fort Collins had 99 with a dew point of 35 at 2:10. The moisture surged back in at 4:40. I got a video of a lightning bolt at 7:45. (see "short term severe weather disco" thread). That storm core was centered near Estes Park, actually.

---

On July 7th, 2014, the high temperature at Denver International Airport reached 100 degrees. The last time Denver  reached the century mark was July 11th, 2013. The record maximum temperature for July 7th in Denver is 102 degrees which occurred back in July 7th, 1989.

---

I just played back my video in slow motion. Stepped leaders!!!!!!

post-1182-0-50603100-1404852056_thumb.jp

post-1182-0-66033900-1404853616_thumb.jp

There seem to be some signs of heavy rain and severe weather on the Front Range tomorrow. The GFS loads us up with precipitable water, and even the NAM has 1.2" of PW. There may be sufficient shear and instability for severe storms. The SREF max-precipitation fields show higher values around Denver tomorrow. Next week,  there may be even a few signs of widespread rain with a stalled cold front.

There seem to be some signs of heavy rain and severe weather on the Front Range tomorrow. The GFS loads us up with precipitable water, and even the NAM has 1.2" of PW. There may be sufficient shear and instability for severe storms. The SREF max-precipitation fields show higher values around Denver tomorrow. Next week,  there may be even a few signs of widespread rain with a stalled cold front.

Happy Monsoon Season! 

tornado warning for a wall cloud at Cheyenne

---

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTH CENTRAL LARAMIE
COUNTY UNTIL 200 PM MDT...

AT 129 PM MDT...A ROTATING WALL CLOUD WAS LOCATED NEAR FRONTIER
PARK...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED ROTATING WALL CLOUD

---

* AT 120 PM MDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A
  TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR NORTH CHEYENNE...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT
  30 MPH.

Once again, Fort Collins gets the dumpage. We had a loud crack of thunder before this round (2:55). Some parts of Ft Collins got 1.15" yesterday, with 2.05" at the Poudre Canyon mouth. My place may have had 2.0" since Friday.

yesterday's rainfall

post-1182-0-21183100-1405459297_thumb.gi

radar at 3:13pm

post-1182-0-79688400-1405459305_thumb.pn

Archived