• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Madness 03/03/2014 -------> The EURO abides

winterymix

There's no doubt the Euro a better model because of its higher resolution . But I've noticed that is best when it locks in and hold its solution . For example, 2/12 - 2/13. It was rock solid for days. GFS was useless. But on this storm it has jumped around with it solutions . GFS has been the most steadfast in its depiction . So I'm not sure what to believe. The next 2 days should be interesting .

• Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS was a big load of crap for the 2/12-13 storm. Are folks now buying it?

If so, the GFS has a lot of company with the Euro which has been a big load of crap so many times this winter. 4 days ago the Euro was giving a significant snowstorm for much of the MA on Monday. The GFS was indicating rain. Now the Euro is warm. If you don't like the Euro, wait 24 hrs and it will usually change. Even Paul Kocin is recognizing curious inconsistencies with the Euro during recent months. Now, the latest Euro dreamstorm is late next week. That will probably vanish tomorrow.

The GFS was a big load of crap for the 2/12-13 storm. Are folks now buying it?

Hug the one that gives you snow(or sleet) ;) Seriously, the GFS seems like a viable solution, and this is a much different setup. Neither model has performed stellar overall this winter. GFS has done better than the Euro on some events.The hanging back of energy in western Canada may be the flaw in the Euro solution. If the Euro doesn't budge the next couple of runs, it will  become more worrisome.

If so, the GFS has a lot of company with the Euro which has been a big load of crap so many times this winter. 4 days ago the Euro was giving a significant snowstorm for much of the MA on Monday. The GFS was indicating rain. Now the Euro is warm. If you don't like the Euro, wait 24 hrs and it will usually change. Even Paul Kocin is recognizing curious inconsistencies with the Euro during recent months. Now, the latest Euro dreamstorm is late next week. That will probably vanish tomorrow.

while pointing out inconsistencies with the euro, you also pointed them out with the GFS. I like it.

??? 0z run had some warmer members.

Was just reading the AFD from Mount Holly as well....Here ya go if you are looking for an "expert" assessment-

AS FAR AS THE MODELING IS GOING WITH THIS EVENT, THE OPERATION ECMWF

REMAINS THE WARMEST, ALTHOUGH IT DID TREND SLIGHTLY COLDER FROM THE

DAY RUN AND ITS ENSEMBLE MEAN IS SLIGHTLY COLDER BY MONDAY

EVENING. ITS DIFFERENCE FROM THE OTHER MODELS IS A SLIGHTLY

FARTHER NORTH PV IN EASTERN CANADA (LESS OF A NEARBY SFC RIDGE)

AND HANGING BACK MORE ENERGY IN WESTERN CANADA. BOTH PERMIT A

SLIGHTLY STRONGER TROF TO TRAVERSE THE CONUS AND BRING SLIGHTLY

WARMER AIR INTO OUR CWA. THE GFS ENSEMBLE CLUSTERING HAS ABOUT A

40 PERCENT SUPPORT OF THIS WARMER SOLUTION. 

Are you looking at the 6z members?

The second thing he is said is a continually debunked myth.

Lol. Me saying I am "meh" about a 6z or 18z run is not a myth. I didn't say they were useless or unreliable. To the contrary, I did say I look at them for continuity purposes on short leads. Sorry for the poor expression on my part, and your misinterpretation ;)

Lol. Me saying I am "meh" about a 6z or 18z run is not a myth. I didn't say they were useless or unreliable. To the contrary, I did say I look at them for continuity purposes on short leads. Sorry for the poor expression on my part, and your misinterpretation ;)

Except I didnt misinterpret anything tho. Saying the 6z/18z runs are any different or less valuable is a myth.

Except I didnt misinterpret anything tho. Saying the 6z/18z runs are any different or less valuable is a myth.

Not going to beat the dead horse here. I think its understood that statistically there is no difference. But anecdotally, there are those that dont give the 6z and 18z runs the same weight. I was asked to provide evidence, based on how I "use" those models. That is not doable.

This isn't a no-brainer set-up.  I don't expect the models will lock in 4-5 days out.  As we are on the periphery of precip types, we can expect shifts that we wouldn't otherwise notice in some other events.  We don't always notice, but New England is subject to major model shifts inside 48-72 hours on almost every event.  When we are on the periphery of an air mass and a precipitation complex, confidence in precise model solutions is lower than normal.  Our region gives way more deference to models at this range, than any other region.  By a wide margin. 

You guys need to ditch the models and go back to looking at what is trending around us in all directions.  None of the models were predicting any snow at all for this week's Tuesday - Wednesday storm and they all got it wrong until it was right on top of us.  You need to look at temps in regions other than ours in relation to to when the storm is arriving, jet stream, water vapor movement, atlantic sub tropical movement (weather patterns).  Anyone can look at a model and report what is says.  That would be fine if the models were right all of the time - but they aren't!!!!  My Dad used to joke that the weatherman doesn't have a window in his office.  No prediction is ever going to be 100% accurate but relying on models 100% of the time is setting up for an epic fail!  The storm is still way out but using the factors I normally look at that are happening out west, with the gulf stream, knowing what I know about the current airmass in our area, local ground and bay temperatures, cold air funneling I am predicting at least 4 inches of snow for Anne Arundel County for the Sun-Mon storm.  I am sure a lot of you will laugh kind of like you did when I was the only guy calling for any snow Tues-Wed but I like my track record vs the models this year!

You guys need to ditch the models and go back to looking at what is trending around us in all directions.  None of the models were predicting any snow at all for this week's Tuesday - Wednesday storm and they all got it wrong until it was right on top of us.  You need to look at temps in regions other than ours in relation to to when the storm is arriving, jet stream, water vapor movement, atlantic sub tropical movement (weather patterns).  Anyone can look at a model and report what is says.  That would be fine if the models were right all of the time - but they aren't!!!!  My Dad used to joke that the weatherman doesn't have a window in his office.  No prediction is ever going to be 100% accurate but relying on models 100% of the time is setting up for an epic fail!  The storm is still way out but using the factors I normally look at that are happening out west, with the gulf stream, knowing what I know about the current airmass in our area, local ground and bay temperatures, cold air funneling I am predicting at least 4 inches of snow for Anne Arundel County for the Sun-Mon storm.  I am sure a lot of you will laugh kind of like you did when I was the only guy calling for any snow Tues-Wed but I like my track record vs the models this year!

Over-reliance on models is not usually the best forecasting method, but without models, you would have no idea what is slated to happen in 4 days.  You would have the same level of forecasting skill as someone in 1843.

Archived