• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2- 4 Snowstorm Potential

NEG NAO

What impact do you think sudden stratospheric warming might have on the dendritic snow growth region above my house, i.e., do you think that will affect the chances of getting at least 12" of snow in Metuchen?  Sorry, couldn't resist...

What impact do you think sudden stratospheric warming might have on the dendritic snow growth region above my house, i.e., do you think that will affect the chances of getting at least 12" of snow in Metuchen?  Sorry, couldn't resist...

I'd be more concerned with cosmic dust perpetrating through to the snow growth region and binding with otherwise perfect dendrites creating a little known phenom known as cosmites. These cosmites if they don't melt however can result in 55:1 ratios. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That uber close phase on the 18z gfs run really raised some eyebrows in here. The GFS has really been pretty good with this system overall, the GL phase if it were to happen would need to thread the needle timing wise. Key word is IF it happened

The problem with not realizing how far out 96 hours is in numerical modeling is because you`ve been pinned here since hour 168 .

And not just you , but all of us . So it`s normal to say , what about now , what about now .

I always want to be inside 48 hours before talking amounts .

Does it look great , DEF , But you are going to know soon enough . If the GFS  is right then John will be right with this amount from earlier .

If that first wave happens like the NAM and GGEM show it almost guarantees the 2nd system is snow for almost everyone in here because it will likely result in the entire thermal gradient being pushed more south...its likely thats why the GGEM was as far south as it was on the 12Z run...the NAM at 84 hours is actually fairly suppressed given its tendency, that would probably be a big hit for SNJ more so than NYC if it extended out.

If that first wave happens like the NAM and GGEM show it almost guarantees the 2nd system is snow for almost everyone in here because it will likely result in the entire thermal gradient being pushed more south...its likely thats why the GGEM was as far south as it was on the 12Z run...the NAM at 84 hours is actually fairly suppressed given its tendency, that would probably be a big hit for SNJ more so than NYC if it extended out.

That's why they have the dgex...and that's what it has shown

This is the "worry" with the usually amped models being more suppressed at the end of their range. It would likely result in a less significant and shorter duration event however on the other hand it'd be much colder.

+1 

The NAM is a useless model until 24-48 hrs and under and then it is sometimes still useless!

Ind. solutions may be garbage, however trend/ and "tells" can actually be quite useful especially when compared/blended with the rest of the guidance. I doubt you'd find one respectable met that would base a forecast off of the long range NAM(trust me I've seen it done though). But certain tells, like a usually overamped model being suppressed is a tell to be on the lookout for track changes.

Ind. solutions may be garbage, however trend/ and "tells" can actually be quite useful especially when compared/blended with the rest of the guidance. I doubt you'd find one respectable met that would base a forecast off of the long range NAM(trust me I've seen it done though). But certain tells, like a usually overamped model being suppressed is a tell to be on the lookout for track changes.

This would ultimately be a case of the NAM backing it's way into the right idea, if for whatever reason it sees the first wave which the GFS does not and that ends up being right the NAM will nail the 2nd wave purely because physics will force it to, I'd score this a cheap win for the NAM if it somehow does end up correct

A few times this winter the end of run NAM had the weaker solution. This may be the case again, time will tell.

We still have 12 more NAM/GFS and 6 more GGEM/ECMWF runs to go just to get to Sunday night. To expect things to end up exactly how the show up tonight and even tomorrow is un wise.

All weather models are perfect machines of mathematical calculation. It is only human misinterpretations of their inconsistencies with reality that are in error.

Archived