SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2014 Lawn, Garden, Landscaping , Fishing , and Allergy Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next step. Last year... noticed a few places in the area that seem to farm such... churches.

I'm sure I'll get some.

My "farmer's hormones" are kicking in.

Yeah, this weekend will get everybody outside! Irises(bearded) are very easy to divide if you have a few full grown ones. You can probably divide an old rhizome into 5 or 6 pieces that will flower in a few years. Actually old over grown ones will flower less and benefit from dividing!

Used to do all-night Cat Fishing in Charlotte. Highway 16 area. Been years.

Mac... You know good places in our area for that?

Casual, public.. not too regulated?

I use to go all night catfishing in Belmont on the river right there by the fishcamps and Cramer mtn just down from the golf course. I grew up near Cramerton.around hear I don't know alot about good public places. I do alot of carpfishing at paylakes, when I have free time

Got to get you some sort of terrier! I have a Boston, and saw one vole tunnel about 2 years ago, a week later , he was dead and the dog got em!

I have 3 worthless cats that constantly get beat up by other cats and can't kill a mole. The only thing they're good for is depleting cat food.

Bradford Pear is budding out nicely should get some flower action in a day or so a this rate.....

This morn... Bradford's (worthless veggies they are) were merely buds.  This afternoon... they 'busted out'!

Tomorrow, or next day... full for sure.

SE Snowstorm = Bradford Pear Blooms in the Wind. 

Almost as good.

I use to go all night catfishing in Belmont on the river right there by the fishcamps and Cramer mtn just down from the golf course. I grew up near Cramerton.around hear I don't know alot about good public places. I do alot of carpfishing at paylakes, when I have free time

I think you fished by the Fire Department in Cramerton.  Nice area.  Lot of of old Mill Houses there. Quaint.

Never had any luck with pay lakes in the Charlotte area.  But, it wasn't always about the fishing - just the get-togethers.

I think you fished by the Fire Department in Cramerton. Nice area. Lot of of old Mill Houses there. Quaint.

Never had any luck with pay lakes in the Charlotte area. But, it wasn't always about the fishing - just the get-togethers.

I did fish there , but there was a big long bridge that had a little 3 foot dam/spillway. I can't think of the rd for the life of me, but if you followed the rd to new hope rd, Twin tops fish camp was right there. There was a "secret " spot that if you went right in front of the Cramer mtn entrance/ guard shack and before you started up the mtn, you could go straight, there were three good spots right down there. I caught alot of 20+ lb catfish there off of cut bream.

Worse winter burn I have ever seen. A lot of shrubs heavily damaged. Especially Hawthornes

My gardenia made it through all of the single digit nights but was done in by -1.  I think it will live but it set it back several years.  Hawthornes look pretty bad too.  

I'm looking to put out some preemergent to try and help my bermuda and kill the crab grass. Can anyone give me some sort of advice as to timing and brand?

I don't know if this will help, but I think now is the time for pre-emergent on Bermuda , but you should not fertilize it until it starts to green up. And, IMO , the weed and feed stuff is no good, use a pre emergent and fertilizer seperate. I just kind of let my grass and weeds co- habitate. As for brands , just read the label, and find one that says its ok to use on Bermuda .

So ready to get on the Congaree River this week. My friend's daughter had a good week. Caught a 68 lb blue on Monday and a 71 lb. blue in a Creek on Sunday. Makes me look like a chump.

Looks like Thanksgiving Dinner!

A Photoshop Chop I did years ago:

http://my.worth1000.com/entries/225285/christmas-catfish

Wow... she caught that monster (twice her size) on that little pink "Barbie Doll" rod!

Amazing!!!  ;)

I've got to start pruning my crepe myrtles.  Some of these suckers are pretty tall, so I either use a pole pruner or the chainsaw. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'd rather watch some television, instead... :)

Take yer saw... prune the entire thing in .6 seconds - at the base as close to the ground as you can get.

I don't know if this will help, but I think now is the time for pre-emergent on Bermuda , but you should not fertilize it until it starts to green up. And, IMO , the weed and feed stuff is no good, use a pre emergent and fertilizer seperate. I just kind of let my grass and weeds co- habitate. As for brands , just read the label, and find one that says its ok to use on Bermuda .

Use Barricade and put it out now.  You want it out before ground temperatures are 55 degrees if possible.  green grass or dormant grass has nothing to do with it.  You are pre emerging crabgrass and weeds that have not already germinated.  Use Southern Zone for weeds that already in the lawn.  You can spray it now as well or before we hit upper 80's

My gardenia made it through all of the single digit nights but was done in by -1.  I think it will live but it set it back several years.  Hawthornes look pretty bad too.  

Give them time to come out of being dormant.  Once new growth starts cut he dead leaves off, should be fine.  Fertilize all with 14-14-14

Archived