Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2014 Lawn, Garden, Landscaping , Fishing , and Allergy Thread

mackerel_sky

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that spring is in the air , and right around the corner, it's time to dust off the lawn mower, and the crappie rods.

Yep, and after the crappie season, it's carp lake time, mowing grass, bees, sweating, mosquitos, and all-night cat-fishing. Then pig-pickings, pumpkins, and  leaf raking. Then it will be winter again. I can't wait until winter. Oh wait... it is still winter. Whew....had me worried for a minute.

Put down pre-emergent on Friday before the big rain, will put down application #2 in mid/end of March. Some plants definitely struggled over the winter, hopefully they come back.

Yeah, there were some big hits on plants down here too! Alot of plants that are borderline hardy to zone 7, which I think means normally coldest lows are 10-20 degrees? My Carolina jessamine has turned brown and buds froze, doubt I'll see a flower. The camellias dropped all there leaves on the japonica, the sasanquas look ok. The lorapetalum leaves are brown and crusty. I know their hardiness zone is 9-7 so it took a big hit, but it's a tough plant and should come back fine. The Indian Hawthornes, also look like crap, dropped almost all their leaves!

Yeah, there were some big hits on plants down here too! Alot of plants that are borderline hardy to zone 7, which I think means normally coldest lows are 10-20 degrees? My Carolina jessamine has turned brown and buds froze, doubt I'll see a flower. The camellias dropped all there leaves on the japonica, the sasanquas look ok. The lorapetalum leaves are brown and crusty. I know their hardiness zone is 9-7 so it took a big hit, but it's a tough plant and should come back fine. The Indian Hawthornes, also look like crap, dropped almost all their leaves!

Worse winter burn I have ever seen. A lot of shrubs heavily damaged. Especially Hawthornes

I see this is also the allergy thread. Anyone know the best way to get rid of red eyes all day? Clear eyes only works for about 6 hours. Also this sneezing. I have sneezed this past week more than all of last year!

Stop smoking that stuff! :)

Seriously, they have a Bausch and Lomb red eye relief eye drops in a red box. People swear by it! I worked there at the plant that makes all contact solutions and eye drops. I don't use eye drops , but it really got rave reviews from customers and employees families.

Actually will do fine until first of June but when temps get around 85 starts browning. Try using perennial rye

I posted about the perennial rye in the banter, but I can't find it. Do you think it will come up if we plug and plant some now? Even if I only get 2 months worth of an inch height of it, I'll be happy. We have bermuda, didn't plant our rye in the fall (stupid on our part) and our yard is a mud pit. I've got to do something. I've got 3 dogs in the house and washing and wiping their feet each time they come in from doing their business is getting OLD.

U.S. Open at Pinehurst in June - men one week followed by women's open the next week.  Just wondering how much bermudagrass winter kill they will have thoughout the course given the cold snap in early January (greens are bentgrass and will be fine).  They may be scrambling around there re-sodding some areas in May, trying to get ready.  I know they had a similar issue with the green surrounds at the last open there in 2005.

U.S. Open at Pinehurst in June - men one week followed by women's open the next week.  Just wondering how much bermudagrass winter kill they will have thoughout the course given the cold snap in early January (greens are bentgrass and will be fine).  They may be scrambling around there re-sodding some areas in May, trying to get ready.  I know they had a similar issue with the green surrounds at the last open there in 2005.

Unlimited money means nice green fairways and greens.

Unlimited money means nice green fairways and greens.

Yeah, just wondering how much winter kill there will be though.  Also, it would be different if the tourney was in July....there's not a whole lot of time to get new sod in and get the high heat going to get the grass growing good.  All speculation at this point...just remembered too that they removed a lot of the rough areas a few years ago, to go to more of a natural look...so, the tees, fairways, and green surrounds would be the key areas

I posted about the perennial rye in the banter, but I can't find it. Do you think it will come up if we plug and plant some now? Even if I only get 2 months worth of an inch height of it, I'll be happy. We have bermuda, didn't plant our rye in the fall (stupid on our part) and our yard is a mud pit. I've got to do something. I've got 3 dogs in the house and washing and wiping their feet each time they come in from doing their business is getting OLD.

Yes

Archived