• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Rocket City Weather Fest THIS SATURDAY!

tornadotony

I just wanted to let everyone in this subforum know (if you haven't heard already) that the University of Alabama in Huntsville AMS/NWA Chapter, with help from the Huntsville chapter of the AMS/NWA, will be hosting Rocket City Weather Fest this Saturday, February 22nd, from 10 AM to 4 PM at the Shelby Center on the UAH campus in Huntsville.  We have a packed lineup up this year, including the following presentations:

- Bob Baron (Baron Services, Huntsville, AL) on the 25th anniversary of the 1989 Huntsville F4 tornado

- Greg Carbin (NWS's Storm Prediction Center, Norman, OK) on how the Storm Prediction Center operates

- Dr. Greg Forbes (The Weather Channel, Atlanta, GA) on the 40th anniversary of the 1974 Super Outbreak and comparisons to 4/27/11

- Dr. Phillip Bitzer (UAH) on UAH's lightning research (including awesome lightning video!)

- A weather communications town hall with Baron, Carbin, Forbes, Dr. Kevin Knupp (UAH Atmospheric Science), Dr. Marita O'Brien (UAH Psychology), and Dr. Laura Myers (The University of Alabama) on how the public receives and perceives weather forecasts and warnings

- Severe Weather 101 hosted by Dave Nadler (Warning Coordination Meteorologist, NWS WFO Huntsville, AL), an interactive session to learn about the science of severe storms

In addition to the presentations, we'll be hosting:

- Two rooms of kids activities

- A balloon launch

- Two raffles (all proceeds to the American Red Cross)

- Numerous additional exhibits from different agencies, groups, media, etc.

The program for the speakers may be found here:

http://www.rocketcityweatherfest.com/seminars.html

A map to the Shelby Center from I-565 can be found here:

http://www.rocketcityweatherfest.com/events.html

As one of this year's co-chairs for Rocket City Weather Fest, I hope to see many of you there!

So how did this turn out?  Anyone care to share a report and/or pictures?  I decided to spend the day gardening, will try to make it next year.

I'll have to get a couple pics up sometime.  It was a great day.  We had ~600 attendees and exhibitors and the weather was perfect for the outside activities and exhibits.  I counted at least 110 people in Dr. Forbes' talk and over 60 people in the weather comms town hall.

Archived