• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Why this winter can be considered the most severe winter of all time for the PHL suburbs

Rib

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1

Some people are getting unhinged over this winter. The word postal comes to mind

SO TRUE...what's up?...it's the same folks who complain when it's 80f for more than two days.

I sent an email out to my office mates today telling them that from here out no more unsolicited weather updates from me...if they want to know they can ask me...trying to keep my head low for the rest of the season....they're starting to blame me for this amazing winter :)

SO TRUE...what's up?...it's the same folks who complain when it's 80f for more than two days.

I sent an email out to my office mates today telling them that from here out no more unsolicited weather updates from me...if they want to know they can ask me...trying to keep my head low for the rest of the season....they're starting to blame me for this amazing winter :)

If they want the weather they should have to file a TPS report first

This winter is certainly cold and snowy, but in terms of harsh, it doesn't really hold a candle next to 94. Mind you, I did not lose power in the ice storm but in 94 I lost power on more than one occasion due to ice storms. Being a little further north also meant a lot of snow mixed in with the sleet and ZR. Around 50" total half of that was sleet. Also 94 was much colder with temps often well below zero and single digits for highs. At Rutgers, they cancelled school for three days due to severe cold. The air was so cold salt had no effect on the massive slabs of ice coating the streets of New Brunswick for weeks. It was brutal.

This winter is certainly cold and snowy, but in terms of harsh, it doesn't really hold a candle next to 94. Mind you, I did not lose power in the ice storm but in 94 I lost power on more than one occasion due to ice storms. Being a little further north also meant a lot of snow mixed in with the sleet and ZR. Around 50" total half of that was sleet. Also 94 was much colder with temps often well below zero and single digits for highs. At Rutgers, they cancelled school for three days due to severe cold. The air was so cold salt had no effect on the massive slabs of ice coating the streets of New Brunswick for weeks. It was brutal.

The title of this thread contains the phrase "PHL suburbs".  Now, RIB probably meant the NW suburbs (a common thing for you Pennsylvanians to forget Jersey exists, but I digress), but no matter what, you don't qualify ;)

93-94 holds the lead for PHL itself into Jersey, but, I think the ice storm put this winter over the top for those 3 counties. 93-94 had much more sleet which while great, is not crippling like an ice storm or a snowstorm. We had more sleet that winter than any other until 06-07. It gets harder and harder every year for PHL to get below 0. A low of 5 would have been -5 not that long ago.

LOL me included.  It's this crappy awning I had installed a few years ago.  I have to keep raking it and it's really wearing on me.  Next year let it snow :)   (I'll have it redone and reinforced by then)  If it weren't for that I'd be cheering more snow and cold.......but I'd rather not have a collapsed awning.

That's my thing...the roofs. I have a backyard porch extension that is made of corrugated fiberglass resting on 2x6's. It's not looking too good right now, and due to it's nature of construction, I can't just walk on it and shovel it off. I've gotten what I could reach from the main porch roof and the ground, but with limited reach, I couldn't get all of it. I guess next fall I'll be looking into getting a roof rake.

This is semi-off-topic, but since this is more of a banter thread anyway, I will go with it.  I was at Rutgers in the mid to late 80s (yeah, yeah, yeah... I am old.  lol.), and I clearly remember, as a freshman being told that Rutgers had not closed for weather-related reasons in decades so we were told to just assume there will always be class no matter what happens and no matter how bad it gets.  Then, they closed school for a day in the fall of 1985 due to Hurricane Gloria.  Still, I figured that a potenial landfalling Cat 3 hurricane was a pretty good reason to break a many-year tradition and that the cancellation was a one off thing.  Then, in January and February of 87 (which are really the only months we had any substantial snow during my four years in New Brunswick), they closed school a bunch of times due to snow, and, if we are being honest, the snow wasn't even all that bad (there was one 12"+/- storm and several more 6"+/- storms).  I am curious if you... or Ray.... or any other RU grads out there.... had a similar experience of getting the freshman lecture that classes would never ever ever be cancelled and then having classes cancelled darn near every time it snowed.       

This is semi-off-topic, but since this is more of a banter thread anyway, I will go with it.  I was at Rutgers in the mid to late 80s (yeah, yeah, yeah... I am old.  lol.), and I clearly remember, as a freshman being told that Rutgers had not closed for weather-related reasons in decades so we were told to just assume there will always be class no matter what happens and no matter how bad it gets.  Then, they closed school for a day in the fall of 1985 due to Hurricane Gloria.  Still, I figured that a potenial landfalling Cat 3 hurricane was a pretty good reason to break a many-year tradition and that the cancellation was a one off thing.  Then, in January and February of 87 (which are really the only months we had any substantial snow during my four years in New Brunswick), they closed school a bunch of times due to snow, and, if we are being honest, the snow wasn't even all that bad (there was one 12"+/- storm and several more 6"+/- storms).  I am curious if you... or Ray.... or any other RU grads out there.... had a similar experience of getting the freshman lecture that classes would never ever ever be cancelled and then having classes cancelled darn near every time it snowed.       

LOL yep, got that speech too and then less than a month later they closed for Floyd... then a few months later, closed for the January 25th, 2000 storm.

Oh yeah, it was something they took pride in and made it seems if they never closed. Until feb 94 at least during my tenure there.

• January 13-14, 1978:  1.66" liquid equiv at PHL but turned to rain after 3" of snow.  High temp:  33 F.
  • January 17-18, 1978:  1.71" liquid equiv at PHL but turned to rain after 4.4" of snow.  High temp: 40 F.
  • January 19-20, 1978:  2.28" liquid equiv at PHL but turned to sleet/rain after 13.2". High Temp:  36 F.

That was a heck of a week of weather for PHL (over 20" of snow total), but somebody north and/or west of PHL... ABE sure seems like a good candidate... likely had a huge storm from each of these events.  Whichever city that was, they had an insane week of weather and must have had Buffalo, NY or Erie, PA-like snowcover by the time January 20, 1978 rolled around.       

All snow at psu except for an hour of sleet the eve of  1/17 . Thigh high snow and  open for classes the whole time. 

Camden is right across the river so it would count. We had thunderstorms yesterday and are only out of the slight risk for tomorrow by less than 50 miles. No other winter brought this kind of variety. 1998-99 and 2005-06 brought thunderstorms but 06 only had that one storm and 98-99 was below average in snow. The way this Winter is going, watch Mt. Holly have to issue severe warnings for a squall line tomorrow afternoon.

BTW Tony Wood from the Philly Inquirer is going to have an article about this in the Sunday edition. I can understand where Rib is coming from in terms of the PHL NW suburbs, for the whole Metropolitan area as a whole, I would still vote on 93-94, the widespread multiple ice storms were more disruptive. Of course this winter is not over yet.....

BTW Tony Wood from the Philly Inquirer is going to have an article about this in the Sunday edition. I can understand where Rib is coming from in terms of the PHL NW suburbs, for the whole Metropolitan area as a whole, I would still vote on 93-94, the widespread multiple ice storms were more disruptive. Of course this winter is not over yet.....

Tornado watch? Come on.

Archived