SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2014 Mid-Atlantic Severe Discussion Thread

Kmlwx

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These situations are iffy.. I have a hard time calling showers with a few rumbles severe wx even if it blows down a forest. The front does seem to be slowing a bit, but partly because the upper support is far away while going neg tilty. I'm not sure the Feb sun is powerful enough to have all that much extra impact anyway but anything is usually better than 12z unless it's all forcing driven.

Everything's just ending up pretty removed either way but there are really strong winds right off the sfc ahead of the line.. so, eh. On to May. ;)

We never really get severe around here. Why not just call it the thunderstorm thread or something? It seems pretty dumb to talk about "severe" in February.

No offense, of course. Just an observation.

Seriously, the amount you underplay everything gets pretty annoying. Every single thread you come in and say something like this, no matter what type of weather it is.

That said, yes, we do get severe weather. I think the Derecho definitely counted as severe. The La Plata tornado definitely counted as severe. I'd say I get 5-8 warning and 1-2 severe storms per year.

These situations are iffy.. I have a hard time calling showers with a few rumbles severe wx even if it blows down a forest. The front does seem to be slowing a bit, but partly because the upper support is far away while going neg tilty. I'm not sure the Feb sun is powerful enough to have all that much extra impact anyway but anything is usually better than 12z unless it's all forcing driven.

Everything's just ending up pretty removed either way but there are really strong winds right off the sfc ahead of the line.. so, eh. On to May. ;)

If the sun is strong enough to melt our snow, it better be strong enough to feed our storms.

Seriously, the amount you underplay everything gets pretty annoying. Every single thread you come in and say something like this, no matter what type of weather it is.

That said, yes, we do get severe weather. I think the Derecho definitely counted as severe. The La Plata tornado definitely counted as severe. I'd say I get 5-8 warning and 1-2 severe storms per year.

Do I? Are you sure you have the right person?

And why have a "severe" thread for one or two events per year? That's why I think calling it the thunderstorm thread or something would make more sense. It seems lame to refer to every storm threat as a severe threat.

And why have a "severe" thread for one or two events per year? That's why I think calling it the thunderstorm thread or something would make more sense. It seems lame to refer to every storm threat as a severe threat.

I remember you claiming the ice storm in early February was another "overhyped zr event that wouldn't be as bad as people thought"

Maybe, but the key word is "threat". It isn't too much of a stretch to say that with most "severe" thunderstorm outbreaks, someone sees severe weather even if most people see nothing or garden variety thunderstorms.

The way severe works is that it generally isn't a widespread area event but somebody in the area can often cash in with pretty hefty damage. If you are looking for events that impact an area as wide as a synoptic scale winter storm then you aren't tracking severe properly. This is sort of the equivalent to the long range thread in winter - sniffing out threats and discussing them. Also...this thread in past years was used to discuss past events and analogs etc etc etc. 

I don't see how calling it the thunderstorm thread vs a severe thread would be any different. This isn't a place for obs...we switch to more specific threads for that. If, for example we have a day where some big storms are forecast, we would be in an obs thread. This is NOT an obs thread. 

Going under your suggestion we shouldn't have a long range winter thread either - rather we should just have a "snow" thread and call it a day ;)

@mattie - 

this is the same reason SPC does their outlooks for "within 25 miles of a point" - it is pretty unlikely that any one place will see severe criteria met - but throughout the season somebody often has some pretty good damage reports in our area. I wouldn't say that we only have 1-2 events per year. It varies, yes, but if you look area wide we do have more events than that. It's not the midwest - but that would be an unfair comparison to make. 

I remember you claiming the ice storm in early February was another "overhyped zr event that wouldn't be as bad as people thought"

Maybe, but the key word is "threat". It isn't too much of a stretch to say that with most "severe" thunderstorm outbreaks, someone sees severe weather even if most people see nothing or garden variety thunderstorms.

Maybe I did (I don't quite recall), but there are others who poo-poo things much more regularly than that!

Right now Mattie, yes, you come off exactly like that.

Sent from my iPhone

I'm not trying to be difficult - I'm really not. It just strikes me as odd that there's discussion of "severe" in February.

It wasn't my intention to start trouble or to take up some kind of crusade against the thunderstorm/severe lovers (I like storms, too), so I'll back out.

lol

Mattie, there's a "slight" risk for Baltimore and south for Friday, no? Probably nothing comes of it, I suppose, for 99% of the area, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about. The fact that a lot of the forum is under a "slight' leads me to look forward to discussions of the set-up and what not. Not everything has to result in a Cat 5 storm damage for a discussion thread.

I don't get why some folks see the need to piss on things. We all understand we don't live in the plains, ohio or tennessee valleys where their severe seasons are so much more interesting on balance, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss it on those relatively infrequent occasions stuff pops near here.

Mattie, there's a "slight" risk for Baltimore and south for Friday, no? Probably nothing comes of it, I suppose, for 99% of the area, but that doesn't mean it isn't worth talking about. The fact that a lot of the forum is under a "slight' leads me to look forward to discussions of the set-up and what not. Not everything has to result in a Cat 5 storm damage for a discussion thread.

I don't get why some folks see the need to piss on things.

Meh, Mattie complains about everything. Not sure why anyone is shocked by this. I just lol

Meh, Mattie complains about everything. Not sure why anyone is shocked by this. I just lol

Maybe because it gets old? The ice storm dealie was significant for a lot of this area. The snow has been as well. At some point a severe outbreak will happen that will impact a lot of people in the area. I just don't get the need to pop into every thread and rush to get on the record that it isn't all that. We get it, not everything will impact everyone with 100% severity. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have threads for the patterns that might yield interesting weather.

It's not like we live in San Diego.

Maybe because it gets old? The ice storm dealie was significant for a lot of this area. The snow has been as well. At some point a severe outbreak will happen that will impact a lot of people in the area. I just don't get the need to pop into every thread and rush to get on the record that it isn't all that. We get it, not everything will impact everyone with 100% severity. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have threads for the patterns that might yield interesting weather.

I'm with you!

I think some folks are taking my comments too seriously. I'm not questioning why people would want to talk about an event. I simply questioned why any and all thunderstorm potential would be in a "severe" thread. If people have an issue with that aspect of it, then fair enough, but I think people have misidentified my intent.

I'm not complaining about anything. Thanks for chiming in.

I think some folks are taking my comments too seriously. I'm not questioning why people would want to talk about an event. I simply questioned why any and all thunderstorm potential would be in a "severe" thread. If people have an issue with that aspect of it, then fair enough, but I think people have misidentified my intent.

I'm not complaining about anything. Thanks for chiming in.

I think you are nitpicking over something that is rather trivial

We never really get severe around here. Why not just call it the thunderstorm thread or something? It seems pretty dumb to talk about "severe" in February.

No offense, of course. Just an observation.

I look at it as a thread to discuss severe weather. Why does the threat even have to be for our area to want to discuss it? Supercells, hail and tornadoes is cool s**t dude. No we don't get severe here very often, but then I would prefer it happen elsewhere. Still fun to discuss and track regardless.

The stuff yday def could have gone in the main feb disco thread.  Since it is a severe thread we should generally keep it to that potential.  This time of year it's going to not be too exciting but we have a winter thread for next winter already so what the hell.

Thinking we may see a stormy morning around here

Radar looks pretty impressive for this late at night, this time of year. I saw a report of a tornado touching down onto snowpack in indiana today. I've always wondered about that, but never heard a report of it actually happening.

Im pumped for some storms tomorrow. I want to see a thunderstorm demolish my remaining snowpack. That's something you don't see everyday. It might as well go out with a bang lol. The worse the weather. The happier I am.

Archived