SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2014 Snowpack Depths

KamuSnow

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eyeballing, probably around a foot +/- two inches. I've already noticed a lot of melting today, so we'll probably only have a few inches, if that, by the weekend. I suspect I'll start seeing blades of grass later this week.

Should have cut it short in the fall, lol.

On a more serious note, I realize the warm rain is the worst/best for snow melting, and while tomorrow will put a dent in it, Friday will be the big test. At least there's not huge amounts of rain forecast for either day (<= 1/2" or so I believe). A slower melting process will lessen the chances for flooding also.

I still have 20+ in shady spots in front but I do not believe that is the correct way to measure snow depth...no doubt Ray can enlighten on the appropriate methodology.

I personally do multiple sticks (20+) around my property both sun and shade and throw out highs and lows and go with the majority average. Since most of my property gets good sun exposure I discount the shaded areas and weight more heavily toward sun areas.

I still have 20+ in shady spots in front but I do not believe that is the correct way to measure snow depth...no doubt Ray can enlighten on the appropriate methodology.

I personally do multiple sticks (20+) around my property both sun and shade and throw out highs and lows and go with the majority average. Since most of my property gets good sun exposure I discount the shaded areas and weight more heavily toward sun areas.

3.2. Snow Depth

Snow depth measurements are taken as long as there is snow on the ground. Determine the total depth of snow, sleet, or ice on the ground. This is a combination of snowfall (if snow has fallen during the observing period) and snow that was already on the ground. This observation is taken once a day at the scheduled time of observation with a measuring stick. Sometimes it is taken by measuring the total depth of snow on exposed ground at a permanently mounted snow stake.

3.2.1. Making the most accurate snow depth measurements

Very often, snow depth needs to be determined by using a measuring stick to take, and then average, several depth readings. This is generally done within 100 yards (300 feet) of the official observing location and is often necessary because snow depth can vary in the vicinity of an observing location due to shaded and non-shaded areas, and because wind-blown snow can create areas of greater and lesser depth*.

In addition, in hilly or mountainous terrain you will be faced with the situation where no snow is observed on south-facing slopes while snow, possibly deep, remains in shaded or north-facing areas. Under these circumstances, you should use good judgment to visually average and then measure snow depths in exposed areas within several hundred feet surrounding the weather station. For example, if half the exposed ground is bare and half is covered with 6 inches of snow, the snow depth should be entered as the average of the snow readings, or 3 inches.

• When, in your judgment, LESS THAN 50 PERCENT of the exposed ground is covered by snow, even though the covered areas have a significant depth, the snow depth should be recorded as a trace (T). Make a note of the range of depths of the remaining snow in the comments.

• When no snow or ice is on the ground in exposed areas within 100 yards (300 feet) of your normal observing location, record a “0”.

• When strong winds have blown the snow, take several measurements where the snow was least affected by drifting and average them. If exposed areas are blown free of snow while others have drifts, again try to combine visual averaging with measurements to record your representative value for snow depth. (noting that if more than half of the ground is snow-free only a trace should be reported)

* Measurements should not be taken from rooftops, paved areas, or other surfaces that are likely to be warmer than natural surfaces.

3.2.2. Properly reporting snow depth

When using a measuring stick, make sure the stick is pushed vertically into the snow until the bottom of the stick rests on the ground. Do not mistake an ice layer or crusted snow as ground. The measurement should reflect the average depth of snow, sleet, and glaze ice on the ground in areas not disturbed by human activities (e.g., no artificial piles of snow).

Be aware that measurements taken on grass can leave air space below the bottom layer of snow, particularly early in the season and when there was no previous snow on the ground. Measuring all the way to the ground can inaccurately inflate the snow depth amount. If you suspect this may have occurred, carefully clear a small patch of snow away so you can see the snow layer on top of the grass. Measure from the bottom of the snow layer to the top of the layer. You may have to repeat this in several areas to obtain a representative snow depth.

After you have made your snow depth measurements, average the measurements to obtain a single number for snow depth. Report snow depth to the nearest whole inch, rounding up when one-half inch increments are reached. For example: 0.4 inches of snow on the ground should be reported as a trace (T), 1.3 inches should be reported as 1 inch, 3.5 inches should be reported as 4 inches. Be aware that when taking measurements over grassy surfaces that air space might be present within the grass. If necessary reduce the snow depth reading by an appropriate amount.

Still a good 10" plus here in many areas. It's hanging tough....when I stick a shovel down in the snow there is still a lot of resistance, as if the ice/snow underneath is still good and cold. This line of showers/storms that's approaching looks pretty thin. Normally I'd prefer more rain, but today less is good.

today's front yard stick, 5pm

the multi-layers of ice snow putting up a fight.

Not bad at all! Less to work with here, but I am impressed with the snowpack's resilience. I know it took a hit from the heavy (warm) rain this afternoon, but I'm encouraged by what I see. I'll measure it in the morning. I began to have concerns that it might not make it past the weekend, now I am, like I said, encouraged.

Archived