SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2014 Snowpack Depths

KamuSnow

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was curious to see if the snow from yesterday overlapped with or got up to the latitude of any existing snow cover in our area, or if there was an area in between with no snow cover. I found this earlier and was a little surprised there's none showing in the Lehigh Valley area. Not sure how this map/image is generated, it's been cloudy since yesterday so probably not from a satellite image, unless from ground temperatures or reflectivity through clouds? At any rate I'm curious how well this matches reality "on the ground".

post-9898-0-67566800-1395150923_thumb.jp

I was curious to see if the snow from yesterday overlapped with or got up to the latitude of any existing snow cover in our area, or if there was an area in between with no snow cover. I found this earlier and was a little surprised there's none showing in the Lehigh Valley area. Not sure how this map/image is generated, it's been cloudy since yesterday so probably not from a satellite image, unless from ground temperatures or reflectivity through clouds? At any rate I'm curious how well this matches reality "on the ground".

attachicon.gifnoaa-snowcover-3-18-14.jpg

Nothing on the ground here in Northern Monmouth County so the map is a bit off up this way at least.

Still 3-4' piles around the deck and various piles around driveway about 2'.   All other snow on property is gone.

I see some patches in the area along shaded woods to field transitions.   Sad times indeed...

This winter is like a sports team that leads the league all season and then is eliminated in the first game of the playoffs.

Still 3-4' piles around the deck and various piles around driveway about 2'.   All other snow on property is gone.

I see some patches in the area along shaded woods to field transitions.   Sad times indeed...

This winter is like a sports team that leads the league all season and then is eliminated in the first game of the playoffs.

Yup! late february we were basking in glory, double digits on the ground for three weeks and euro going absolutely bonkers long range with multiple threats and weeks of much below normal temps being progged. Top winter appeared a foregone conclusion then two south, one west and last one east...

If someone had said back in mid January when we were grading the winter, that starting the following week (January 21st) we'd have some snow on the ground for the next 2 months, I don't know that I would have believed it. While snowcover in the technical sense made it to just shy of 7 weeks, there has been snow in patches since then (other than piles, which are also disappearing fast). So here is the remaining snow patch, going, going, and now gone as of this afternoon. Thanks for the extended stay! :)

post-9898-0-71988300-1395605713_thumb.jp

My last pile should be gone by around noon tomorrow.  Another way to look at this winter is a race car leading from pole until the last lap, then running out of gas and coming to a halt 10 feet from the finish line.  :P

Down here we didn't jackpot the way South Jersey and Delaware did (in March), but we didn't get shut out either, so it wasn't as frustrating. The last snow pile here may be gone by morning, so I took a pic in honor of it's longevity.

post-9898-0-66246900-1396142119_thumb.jp

Some trivia from accumulated observations through this past winter:

Counting a day with some snow on the ground as any amount of visible natural snow cover (beyond a dusting) for any length of time and not including snow piles, etc., there were 88 days here with some snow on the ground, out of 121 days from December 1st through March 31st. Somewhat ironically most of the snow free days were between Dec. 21st and January 20th (and the 1st week of December).

Adding days when there was snow falling but no snow on the ground (like early Monday morning here, for example), there were 91 days out of 121 with either snow falling or snow on the ground (or both).

Also, the accumulated snow total of 69.5" divided over 21 measurable snow events averages out to 3.31" which is higher than the largest snowfall of the previous 2 winters here (which was 3.25").

Not bad at all, and pretty exceptional around here, where we can't take winter or snow for granted (as the previous 2 winters illustrated). This and not knowing what next winter will hold helps me appreciate even more the winter we just had!

Some trivia from accumulated observations through this past winter:

Counting a day with some snow on the ground as any amount of visible natural snow cover (beyond a dusting) for any length of time and not including snow piles, etc., there were 88 days here with some snow on the ground, out of 121 days from December 1st through March 31st. Somewhat ironically most of the snow free days were between Dec. 21st and January 20th (and the 1st week of December).

Adding days when there was snow falling but no snow on the ground (like early Monday morning here, for example), there were 91 days out of 121 with either snow falling or snow on the ground (or both).

Also, the accumulated snow total of 69.5" divided over 21 measurable snow events averages out to 3.31" which is higher than the largest snowfall of the previous 2 winters here (which was 3.25").

Not bad at all, and pretty exceptional around here, where we can't take winter or snow for granted (as the previous 2 winters illustrated). This and not knowing what next winter will hold helps me appreciate even more the winter we just had!

Pretty much a rare taste of a new england style winter for the area. Still can't figure out why it has snowed so much since 2003

Archived