• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
State of the snowpack / Streak ends at 48-50 days for those around Rt.78/80 and S

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing - at about 2 pm it was in the 60s from Trenton up to about Keansburg on Raritan Bay and all points S/E of that line and it was in the upper 30s/low 40s to the N/W of that line, so there was a 20F+ gradient over probably 5-10 miles. At that point it was 39F in Rahway and it's crept up to 42F since then.

After a brutal beating today, hit 59F here, upper 50s for a few hours, I still have 3-6" of water logged slushy snow.

Very hard snowpack for sure, most packs would have melted in today.

Part 1 of the torch complete, now we face this weekend.

Yeah as others have mentioned the temp gradient was amazing today as a few miles to your north it was only in the low 40's here.

The snow "pack"- meaning Actual snow on lawns/fields will be 75% gone I think by the end of the day Sunday here on the south shore. But I really have been surprised by the staying power of this snowpack. It was the most dense water-logged-sometimes-frozen-bullet-proof snowpack in a while. Survived multiple days above freezing and literally 2 thunderstorm events. Can't remember the last time I could say that. By Monday we will be left with frozen piles as for a few days before whatever hopefully comes next.

The snow "pack"- meaning actual snow on lawns/fields-will be 75% gone I think by the end of the day Sunday here on the south shore. But I really have been surprised by the staying power of this snowpack. It was the most dense water-logged-sometimes-frozen-bullet-proof snowpack in a while. Survived multiple days above freezing and literally 2 thunderstorm events. Can't remember the last time I could say that. By Monday we will be left with frozen piles for a few days before whatever hopefully comes next.

As I've been saying, pretty sure we will still have several inches of snow on the ground by Sunday night, when winter returns. I just can’t imagine this very dense snowpack all melting. There’s about 3-4” of liquid equivalent still bound up in it and that’s the equivalent of 30-40” of snow (and snow melt is a function of snow mass, not depth, i.e., we have 30-40" of typical 10:1 ratio snow compressed into 10-12” snow/ice right now) and 30-40” of "typical" snow ain’t all melting from the next 2 days of temps in the 50s, even with some rain/fog. If it does, I’ll be flabbergasted. Should be a lot less snow, though, on the ground by the time it gets back below 32F on Sunday night - I'm guessing 2-4" left on my lawn.

So, after work on Thursday (around 8 pm), I had about 10-12" of cement on my lawn. With the forecast of highs in the 50s and 1/2" of rain, I thought we'd lose several inches of snowpack, but given that temps barely made it above 40F and little rain fell, I measured about 8-10" of snow on Friday at 8 pm. In my opinion, I just can't imagine losing more than 2-3" per day of this very dense snowpack for the next 2 days, which would leave me with at least 2-4" of cement on Sunday night, when it gets back down below freezing - and that 2-4" of cement (which would be the equivalent of about 6-12" of "typical" 10:1 ratiio snow) should last through next week, especially if it gets topped off with several inches of fresh snow next week. Doesn't mean there won't be lots of bare ground on south facing slopes or some very sunny locations, but I think properties like mine with some sun and some shade during the day will hold onto the snowpack through this weekend and next week. Of course, I could be wrong, lol.

Plenty of snow cover and piles left here in colts neck.

What's has helped us is Wed Thrs Fri mornings all went bow freezing . The brief 55 yesterday for 6 hours didn't crush us.

Once passed tomorrw afternoon the melting stops and we will add to it ths week

Prob a good 6 inches pack left. But that's better than I thought we would b after the rain that was forecasted 3 days ago

Took a drive around town today, while doing errands, and I'm thinking the snow might be all gone from very sunny locations by tomorrow evening, as properties that are very sunny look like they only have 3-5" of snowpack left vs. my 8-10" - I've always known my property held on to snow more than some, but hadn't seen this large of a discrepancy before.  Still think I'll have the 2-4" left I've been predicting.  We'll see, I guess - kind of fun to track. 

Still a deep deep snow pack up here.. 16" here throughout my property

http://www.weatherstreet.com/weather-forecast/new-york-snow-cover.htm

Nice. .. Still 95 percent covered here but it's noticeably thinner then yesterday. .. After another sunny warm day tomorrow I fear what it will look like or won't look like for that matter.

Lost almost all our snow, some dirty piles left on northern exposure sides and in back yards. The streets of Brooklyn look horrible with all the dirt grime salt dust laying around , no street cleaning for a long time, we need some fresh snow to coat this mess, hopefully this week gives us more than just cold weather.

Lost almost all our snow, some dirty piles left on northern exposure sides and in back yards. The streets of Brooklyn look horrible with all the dirt grime salt dust laying around , no street cleaning for a long time, we need some fresh snow to coat this mess, hopefully this week gives us more than just cold weather.

There's still at least 6" of snow in my backyard in Bay Ridge...not sure what you are seeing. I was up by Prospect Park yesterday and they still had snowpack.

Archived