Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it's early and a moot point, but could someone clarify for me the blue dotted line.  Does that mean everything south of that line is expected to turn to sleet? 

I think he means that is roughly the line where snow would become sleet.  Much south of that zone and it's all rain, if there is any precip left at that point.

Just don't feel the GFS has this handled correctly.  Seems off...bout the best I can explain it.  And that isn't just because it is not a great run.  It has very little support from other models.  Either it is scoring a coup or is just out to lunch.

It's a comically different solution haha.

It's a comically different solution haha.

I try not to criticize it too much.  There are probably people on this site who helped develop it.  But man, that is not a run that seems to have support from any other model.  John, I though sometimes the 18z did get new model data ingested?  Might need to leave the 18z in the barn from now on. 

Just don't feel the GFS has this handled correctly.  Seems off...bout the best I can explain it.  And that isn't just because it is not a great run.  It has very little support from other models.  Either it is scoring a coup or is just out to lunch.

GFS is hanging the system back up in the SW for over a day,not sure why it's doing it but i find it hard to believe that will happen and even if it does it should be a over running event tapping into the GOM

I thought, as a rule, balloons only went up every 12 hours unless there was an impending threat that caused more balloon launches to be required. 

The models are consistently inconsistent this year. Especially beyond 36 hours. Even then, they are spotty.

Ok, that makes sense.  Interesting that the NAM changed though.  On the other hand, if a northwest trend is to occur, we have that storm exactly where we want it.  LOL. 

Ok, that makes sense.  Interesting that the NAM changed though.  On the other hand, if a northwest trend is to occur, we have that storm exactly where we want it.  LOL. 

The NAM was very similar to the DGEX from 12 hours ago, which was just out of the NAM's window. Since the DGEX is the lower resolution NAM, it picked up the threat beyond 84. If you look at the 12z NAM at 84 and the 18z NAM at 78, they aren't that far off at all. The 18z is just slightly faster.

.SHORT TERM...(TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY)...A SHORTWAVE TROUGH OVER
THE SOUTHERN PLAINS WILL MOVE INTO THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY
TONIGHT. THIS HAS HELPED TO ENHANCE LIFT ACROSS THE LOWER
MISSISSIPPI VALLEY LATE THIS AFTERNOON AS EVIDENT IN THE LATEST
REGIONAL WSR-88D RADAR TRENDS. 290-295K SURFACES SHOW INCREASING
ISENTROPIC ASCENT THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT. BASED ON THE LATEST SHORT
TERM TRENDS DECIDED TO EXTEND THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY A BIT
FURTHER SOUTHWEST AS ACTIVITY OVER NORTHERN LOUISIANA MAY MOVE
ACROSS AREAS SOUTH OF I-40 TONIGHT. AT THIS TIME...FEEL THE BEST
POTENTIAL FOR SNOW REACHING ONE INCH WILL BE ACROSS AREAS MAINLY
ALONG AND NORTH OF I-40...EAST ARKANSAS SOUTH OF I-40...PORTIONS
OF NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI. ONE INCH TO PERHAPS LOCALLY 2 INCHES IS
POSSIBLE ACROSS THE NORTH WITH AMOUNTS AROUND 1 INCH ACROSS EAST
ARKANSAS/NORTHWEST MISSISSIPPI. EVENING SHIFT WILL CONTINUE TO
SHORT MONITOR TRENDS AND ADJUST HEADLINES IF NECESSARY.

Like i said earlier,this is over performing and even the short range models are missing this.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=MEG&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Going off the wunderground maps it's tough, precip appears to come in a couple of waves. I'd guess around .25-.5 total for both going by them, Much heavier precip south and east. Surface sub 32 line wavers around just south of 40 and generally the 850s do too. The 540 gets up to around 40. Hour 108 appears to have the most accumulated  precip in any 3 hour frame with a .1-.175. Probably be snow north of 40, mix to rain south of 40. 

Pretty sharp cut-off line for most of the precip around the Plateau though lighter amounts appear to fall towards Nashville,

Archived