Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
kvskelton

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At some point the main band, if it holds together, should pivot......but the dry slot concerns me, as does the rap which shows the precip drying up before trying to regenerate tomorrow mid morning.

The RAP has showed this lull for several runs. It doesn't seem like a dry slot because all the precip vanishes. If the upper low slows down any and takes its sweet time time we may see this lull last close to sunrise. To be honest I'm not sure why it all dries up like that. Maybe Mr. Bob or Jeff can explain that. The 500mb low is/has been the wild card in this storm and we still won't know how it will play out. I don't think any model had the upper low tracking this close to the mountains like the RAP is showing.

post-6441-0-65138700-1392268146_thumb.jp

Robert has really upped his wording strongly for us though so that gives me hope. He is the king at forecasting upper lows. I think that is one of his strong areas. Here's another tidbit from FB:

post-6441-0-08352700-1392268394_thumb.jp

The RAP has showed this lull for several runs. It doesn't seem like a dry slot because all the precip vanishes. If the upper low slows down any and takes its sweet time time we may see this lull last close to sunrise. To be honest I'm not sure why it all dries up like that. Maybe Mr. Bob or Jeff can explain that. The 500mb low is/has been the wild card in this storm and we still won't know how it will play out. I don't think any model had the upper low tracking this close to the mountains like the RAP is showing.

Robert has really upped his wording strongly for us though so that gives me hope. He is the king at forecasting upper lows. I think that is one of his strong areas. Here's another tidbit from FB:

David Aldrich said not to pay attention to the models suddenly drying things out, he didn't believe it would happen. Just thinks the snow will slowly wind down instead.

David Aldrich said not to pay attention to the models suddenly drying things out, he didn't believe it would happen. Just thinks the snow will slowly wind down instead.

That is probably the more realistic approach. It doesn't really "vanish" per say just weakens slowly. But for the Tri-Cities the band has already pivoted back to the west and not much is redeveloping currently.

post-6441-0-91560600-1392269002_thumb.jp

You still look really good John! I'm really surprised that you got this much already. I was thinking maybe the most you get would be around 5. Someone just around or to the west of Knoxville should get a foot especially if they already have 8-10. That band has set up a tent.

Howell also said he didn't think a true dry slot would happen in the area.  I mean even now without a band I'm still laying it down at a light to moderate rate.  Got 5 on the ground now, I bet even without significant banding on my house I get another 2 or 3 inches.  With a band?  Who knows.  It's just an awesome sequence of events that fell into place around here.

Can someone elaborate on if they think that the heavy snow will redevelop in East Tn. Wxsouth says underdone on snow totals for this area with the low stalling.  Just curious we are still having light snowfall here in Jonesborough,  Just wondering if the snow totals would increase much more before all is said and done?

I never though it I would experience it, but I just did...3 flashes of lightning within a few minutes. I am stunned. The radar right now is downright ominous. The comma head is tightening up, strengthening, and about to move right over me. Trees and power lines are going down left and right. It is getting downright scary now.

I never though it I would experience it, but I just did...3 flashes of lightning within a few minutes. I am stunned. The radar right now is downright ominous. The comma head is tightening up, strengthening, and about to move right over me. Trees and power lines are going down left and right. It is getting downright scary now.

Jealous!  Huntsville radar showing impressive stuff down there.

If anyone is awake, can you tell me how snow is coming back in the morning, though it's still here at this time. Is the Alabama piece going to join up with the storm in Western NC and loop back by here? A map I looked at looked that way to me, but I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at some of the time.

Waking up a little surprised the storm faded this quickly during the nite. I reread the discussion ftom late last night about how the RAP was indicating some possible redevelopment after sunrise, but the radar not showing much for NE TN. Seemed everything was in line for a really prolonged all nite event...did the upper low just stall and get left behind from the main part of the system?

I was never sold on what Robert was selling for northeast TN. The dry slot was on radar and I was confident we'd see it overspreading our area. The rap did a good job too. Now I wait to see if redevelopment can squeak another inch or two for us here in KTRI. Overall, a nice event. Congrats to those seeing thunder snow last night!!

Yep..that big gap on the radar won out. I was wanting to a little thunder snow....been a long time since we have experienced that inTRI. Looks like we could squeeze out another inch if what's around Knox holds together.

We had thundersnow last year in January I believe. Finally the snow has wrapped back around.

Archived