joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 13-14 potential snow storm

Mikehobbyst

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't get worked over these runs right now. We all know that the track isn't 100 percent set in stone just yet. What we do know is that a storm is looking likely for Thursday. Euro shows about 6+ inches of snow for NYC before the changeover while inland areas get creamed. Just a little more east with the low and NYC will get creamed. Is it possible? Yes it is.

It's literally on the coast of nj before heading ene or ne towards the cape according to the Euro. No one is hyping up a change to rain. People are just saying what the Euro shows verbatim. NYC is very borderline. Parts of nyc could stay snow on this run. Look at the soundings when they are out.

From what I've seen so far on the euro maps the low appears 50-100 miles (closer to the 50) east of ACY. Not the most perfect placement for the NYC metro area, but Manhattan and points west can certainly stay 90%+ snow with such a track. The airmass in place isn't that cold, but it can more than get the job done during this time of year. 

0z definitely ticked 50 miles or so west from the 12z.  Instead of coming right off OBX it goes over the eastern North Carolina/Virginia Boarder and then through far east Maryland and Delaware.  At hour 96 the low is very close to Atlantic City. I liked this run.  Definitely p-type issues for the coast and city but I think this could end up being a bit further east than what is shown.  The takeaway is that there wasn't a major shift away from a storm.

From what I've seen so far on the euro maps the low appears 50-100 miles (closer to the 50) east of ACY. Not the most perfect placement for the NYC metro area, but Manhattan and points west can certainly stay 90%+ snow with such a track. The airmass in place certainly isn't that cold, but it can more than get the job done during this time of year.

I wish I could show you what it shows on wb. No way it's 100 miles east of AC. Doesn't matter and we shouldn't argue over nonsense. It's 3.5 days out. Let's see what tomorrow holds.

hmn, 850 dashed line at 96, I would not discount the wxbell maps, snow to mix to snowIMG_20140210_014022.jpg

Verbatim (unless wb is dead wrong) the coast is above 0 at 850mb and the surface. I don't see how that's not rain at hrs 90 and 96. But I'm really happy with where we are at right now.

I wish I could show you what it shows on wb. No way it's 100 miles east of AC. Doesn't matter and we shouldn't argue over nonsense. It's 3.5 days out. Let's see what tomorrow holds.

I agree with you sir, looking at wxbell, the low is tucked right along the jersey coast. Yet, fifty mile differences will be ironed out over the next 72 hrs. Furthermore, as another member pointed out : the ssts over the Atlantic will more than likely bring the storm East (temperature gradient)

Yea it is rain at 90-96 but the heaviest stuff fall between 84-90

Agreed. Hence why I said nice front end dump for all. Even though it shows temps in the mid 30s even at hr 84 for the coast, I believe we (the coast) would be 31/32 since there heavy precip falling cooling the column a couple degrees.

Agreed. Hence why I said nice front end dump for all. Even though it shows temps in the mid 30s even at hr 84 for the coast, I believe we (the coast) would be 31/32 since there heavy precip falling cooling the column a couple degrees.

Yes and also the low level cold air will hold strong esp with the snow pack not going anywhere and only the high res will see that.

Yes and also the low level cold air will hold steady esp with the snow pack not going anywhere

Eh I don't like that argument especially with a low really tucked into the NJ coast as the Euro shows. Like I said before, take a blend of all models and you have a nice track further off the coast. Let's worry about the details inside 48 hrs. I was just spitting out verbatim maps from wb and discounting the snow map.

Hpc

POSITIVELY TILTED SHORTWAVE REACHING THE SRN PLAINS TUE NIGHT

AND THE AMPLIFYING SHORTWAVE MOVING INTO THE SOUTHEAST WED NIGHT

LIKELY SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT ALONG THE GULF AND EAST COASTS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWF / 00Z CMC BLEND

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGE

THE 00Z NAM IS MORE AMPLIFIED EARLY IN THE PERIOD WITH A SHORTWAVE

ENTERING BRITISH COLUMBIA LATER TODAY...WHICH MAY CARRY OVER

DOWNSTREAM INTO THE SOUTHEAST...WITH A DEEPER UPPER TROUGH BY THU

MORNING OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC COMPARED TO THE REMAINING AVAILABLE

GUIDANCE. THE 00Z NAM/ECMWF END UP ON THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE

ENSEMBLE LOW PLOTS...LIKELY TOO FAR INLAND WITH THEIR SURFACE

LOWS. THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET/CMC HAVE ALL ADJUSTED A BIT WEST WITH

THE SHORTWAVE DIVING INTO THE LOWER MISS VALLEY...AND EVENTUALLY

OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION.

THE 00Z GFS UPPER TROUGH AXIS IS DISPLACED A BIT TOO FAR EAST AND

IS A BIT LESS AMPLIFIED WITH THE UPPER TROUGH OVER THE EAST THAN

DESIRED...BUT IT IS BETTER THAN THE 12Z/09 RUN. THE 00Z

ECMWF/UKMET/CMC CAN NOT BE IGNORED WITH THEIR WESTWARD TREND FOR

THE 00Z CYCLE GIVEN THEY LOOK FINE WITH UPSTREAM SHORTWAVE

PROGRESSION...BUT GIVEN THE CURRENT DISTRIBUTION OF ENSEMBLE LOW

PLOTS...THE PREFERENCE IS TO BE A BIT FARTHER OFFSHORE THAN THE

00Z ECMWF/UKMET. THE ECMWF MADE A WESTWARD SHIFT WITH THE 00Z/09

CYCLE AS WELL..AND COULD JUST BE FLIP FLOPPING. PREFER TO STAY

STEADY WITH THE 12Z ECMWF AND NEW 00Z CMC GIVEN THEIR CLOSER

AGREEMENT IN POSITION/STRENGTH.

Eh I don't like that argument especially with a low really tucked into the NJ coast as the Euro shows. Like I said before, take a blend of all models and you have a nice track further off the coast. Let's worry about the details inside 48 hrs. I was just spitting out verbatim maps from wb and discounting the snow map.

Exactly, Im confident it wont end up tucked in. These storms love to track along the SST boundary. With that said SST off our coast are really cold so it would be even harder to get the warm air in here.

Hpc

POSITIVELY TILTED SHORTWAVE REACHING THE SRN PLAINS TUE NIGHT

AND THE AMPLIFYING SHORTWAVE MOVING INTO THE SOUTHEAST WED NIGHT

LIKELY SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT ALONG THE GULF AND EAST COASTS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWF / 00Z CMC BLEND

CONFIDENCE: AVERAGETHE 00Z NAM IS MORE

AMPLIFIED EARLY IN THE PERIOD WITH A SHORTWAVE

ENTERING BRITISH COLUMBIA LATER TODAY...WHICH MAY CARRY OVER

DOWNSTREAM INTO THE SOUTHEAST...WITH A DEEPER UPPER TROUGH BY THU

MORNING OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC COMPARED TO THE REMAINING AVAILABLE

GUIDANCE. THE 00Z NAM/ECMWF END UP ON THE WESTERN SIDE OF THE

ENSEMBLE LOW PLOTS...LIKELY TOO FAR INLAND WITH THEIR SURFACE

LOWS. THE 00Z ECMWF/UKMET/CMC HAVE ALL ADJUSTED A BIT WEST WITH

THE SHORTWAVE DIVING INTO THE LOWER MISS VALLEY...AND EVENTUALLY

OVER THE MID-ATLANTIC REGION.

THE 00Z GFS UPPER TROUGH AXIS IS DISPLACED A BIT TOO FAR EAST AND

IS A BIT LESS AMPLIFIED WITH THE UPPER TROUGH OVER THE EAST THAN

DESIRED...BUT IT IS BETTER THAN THE 12Z/09 RUN. THE 00Z

ECMWF/UKMET/CMC CAN NOT BE IGNORED WITH THEIR WESTWARD TREND FOR

THE 00Z CYCLE GIVEN THEY LOOK FINE WITH UPSTREAM SHORTWAVE

PROGRESSION...BUT GIVEN THE CURRENT DISTRIBUTION OF ENSEMBLE LOW

PLOTS...THE PREFERENCE IS TO BE A BIT FARTHER OFFSHORE THAN THE

00Z ECMWF/UKMET. THE ECMWF MADE A WESTWARD SHIFT WITH THE 00Z/09

CYCLE AS WELL..AND COULD JUST BE FLIP FLOPPING. PREFER TO STAY

STEADY WITH THE 12Z ECMWF AND NEW 00Z CMC GIVEN THEIR CLOSER

AGREEMENT IN POSITION/STRENGTH.

Couldn't agree more and is basically what I have been saying.

The Euro looks pretty 1/22/87 like with its idea, the pattern is not a dead match at the upper levels but the storm evolution may be close...January 2000 as well with that ugly dry slot idea it shows...my guess is its going to be between the Euro/GFS...the GFS again is suffering from what same feedback deal (I think) we've seen before where it cannot consolidate low centers...and it tends to be very stubborn when it gets in that mode, don't expect it to make any move towards the GEM/UKMET/Euro for probably another 36 hours.

1.9 of QPF what a close call , it would be a killer for CNJ and KNYC hour 90 - 96  , would miss a monster by a hair . Lets hope the ensembles are a tick outside OBX .

Just read HPC  and a  Huge Difference between Plymouth state 850`s and WB , changes the entire evolution .

Archived