• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
John1122

With multiple model runs of potential snow coming Sunday evening into Monday for the region, I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread. We have several potential storms to track in this period and these threads will help keep them centralized and separate.

The last 24-36 hours of model runs have been showing a good potential for a snow event in Tennessee or Southern Kentucky. A frontal boundry will pass the area bringing rain and behind it, colder air will filter into the region. This cold front will stall out somewhere to our South and East. A wave of Low Pressure will form and ride along the front. As of now the track looks to go from Southern Alabama into Central or North Georgia. According to how far the front sags is how far south air cold enough for frozen precip will make it. The GFS this morning puts it very close to the KY/TN border, while the NAM is slightly further south. The rain snow line will waffle around for the next several days. On the change over line there is a high potential for both sleet and freezing rain to occur. 

The HPC updated their day 3 graphic to this.

hpc3111.jpg

The 06z NAM snowfall map shows the extreme potential of the event for someone,

6znam310.jpg

The HPC official stance as of now is for Kentucky to be in the better area for snow, but for Ice in this area.

SUN NIGHT...HEAVIER SNOWS MAY DEVELOP FURTHER TO THE EAST
ACROSS KY INTO THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS...WITH SIGNIFICANT ICING
POSSIBLE ACROSS THE TN VALLEY INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z Euro snow total (probably just an indication of where the frozen precip will be)

HPC didn't like either the Euro or the GFS for this event as of their morning disco. 

WHILE THE MODELS ARE TRENDING

TOWARD A DEEPER SYSTEM...DID NOT GIVE STRONG WEIGHTING TO THE 00Z

ECMWF...WHICH IS MORE AMPLIFIED/SLOWER THAN THE MODEL CONSENSUS.

ON THE OTHER HAND...DID NOT FOLLOW THE GFS EITHER...WHICH IS

PROBABLY TOO SUPPRESSED WITH ITS SURFACE REFLECTION.

1016 is not much of a low. Give me that track with something around 990 and we are in business.

If it's 990 down there, it'd be throwing up a warm nose into northern Kentucky. 

Weak lows throw up lots of moisture but less warmth. The NAM has the low with similar strength and drops .75-1.25 in a 12 hour period from hr 66 to 78.

Is this Sunday night or Monday night or?? MRX is no help though Memphis and Nashville are both discussing it.

At this time, is Knoxville in the ice zone? If so, I'm glad to be in the low-snow side of the county.

I guess I see my answer since Nashville is discussing Sun night into Mon morning.

6z meteograms show the following:

Nashville
NAM 4.3 inches of snow 11:1 ratio
GFS 1.5 inches of snow 11:1 ratio, a little freezing rain before that

Memphis
NAM 1.7 inches of snow 11:1 ratio, tenth of an inch of freezing rain, a few sleet pellets
GFS 3.1 inches of snow 11:1 ratio, 0.22 inches of freezing rain, a few sleet pellets

Knoxville
NAM 1.8 inches of snow 11:1 ratio
GFS 0.27 inches of freezing rain

Do you have KTRI Stove?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.... NAM shows TRI with a foot!

I use Iowa State, please check the link to make sure my eyeballs aren't cloudy this morning....

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=ktri&nam=on&nam_mos=on&namm=on&gfs_mos=on&gfs=on&gfsm_mos=on&gfsm=on&nws=on&rap=on&obs=on&nam4km=on&con=on&ratio=11&cobb=on

If you simply look at the features on the playing field for this event, I would think middle TN is very much alive or in the game, regardless of what the surface shows at this point. 

MANY snows in the past have had a 1030ish high in Missouri and a weak low reflection near the gulf in southern Louisana moving ENE from there. Northeast or ENE winds will really help here I would think.  I think the overrunning should blossom nicely with this one in middle TN, and I don't see the "gap" that the NAM and GFS have shown at the surface happening.  Check out the NAM at 12z's 700mb omega maps and the 500 mb maps. Dewpoints are near 30ish for the duration of the event in most places.  Most of what I see looks pretty good actually.  Time always sorts these things out, but at least it's "trackable".

Archived