Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 4th-6th Major Winter Storm Part 4

andyhb

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10.3" for the day here at DTW, probably add a couple tenths after midnight for a storm total around 11". Pretty incredible to have 2 systems over 10 inches in such a short period of time. Still some pretty good blowing snow right now, but the brunt of the system snow is just about over. Over on my side of town I didn't have a chance to measure but I would say we probably ended up with around 8 or 9" for the day.

10.3" for the day here at DTW, probably add a couple tenths after midnight for a storm total around 11". Pretty incredible to have 2 systems over 10 inches in such a short period of time. Still some pretty good blowing snow right now, but the brunt of the system snow is just about over. Over on my side of town I didn't have a chance to measure but I would say we probably ended up with around 8 or 9" for the day.

its only the 2nd time on record there have been two 10"+ storms in 1 week. The other time the storms were greater (16.0 and 14.1 in Feb/Mar 1900) but still this is extremely impressive.

Just went outside to measure in Warren. There is between 8 and 9 inches (blowing/drifting made it difficult).

I was temporarily stranded at the NWS office a little while ago. Got about 1/4 mile down the access road out and drove across a drift then the next one was too deep at 1 to 2.5 ft deep and I was about to get stuck so I had to get my coworker to come get me. Waited for one of the Will Co public works plows to plow to road so I could get out. As soon as it was plowed, immediately started drifting back over. We lost one of our snow boards too, and the snow drifts behind the building when I did the 00z ob were up to 40" in spots. I'm very worried that if the plows haven't come again or plow too early before when the day shift starts to arrive at 6am that the road will get severely drifted over again and the 2 guys coming in who drive small sedans will get stranded on the road. It's horrendous out there. Can't imagine what NW IN is like.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Pretty shocked to see that KMLI pulled off 7.8" of snow, but KDVN only 1.1" 11 miles away...nice gradient across DVN's CWA.  Our seasonal total is 25.8" so only need 10" more for a normal Winter.  All in all this is shaping up to be an amazing Winter, hopefully the snow god's don't shut us out the rest of the way.  My hunch says that is not very likely.  And what a Winter overall, so much snowier and colder than the last two for sure. 

I love the Midwest, that said I could do without the extreme cold/wind chills...but its amazing to experience every once in a great while. 

Congrats to all those who got some impressive totals out of this, I'd call this one an overachiever around here for sure.  Nice to see a wide swath of our subforum get a good snow.

Kinda bummed if we get a system next weekend that rains on us.  I think the pattern we are locked in will probably re-load again though sometime in the next 10 days and we may just do it all over again right through the end of the month.

:o first one in 20 years for many of these areas.

WWCN11 CWTO 061003

SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 5:03 AM EST MONDAY 6 JANUARY 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

BLIZZARD WARNING FOR:
=NEW= CALEDON
=NEW= HURON - PERTH
=NEW= WATERLOO - WELLINGTON
=NEW= DUFFERIN - INNISFIL
=NEW= GREY - BRUCE
=NEW= BARRIE - ORILLIA - MIDLAND
=NEW= PORT CARLING - PORT SEVERN
=NEW= BRACEBRIDGE - GRAVENHURST.

DANGEROUS BLIZZARD CONDITIONS LATER TODAY AND TONIGHT.

STRENGTHENING NORTHWESTERLY WINDS ARE QUICKLY BLASTING IN
      BITTERLY COLD ARCTIC AIR TODAY IN THE WAKE OF AN INTENSE WINTER
      STORM THAT IS MOVING ACROSS THE RENFREW AREA INTO SOUTHERN
      QUEBEC.  FLURRIES OFF OF LAKE HURON AND GEORGIAN BAY WILL
      INTENSIFY INTO FREQUENT STRONG SNOW SQUALLS BY THIS AFTERNOON
      ACROSS THE REGIONS.  MANY OF THE SNOW SQUALLS WILL EXTEND QUITE
      FAR INLAND AS THE WINDS BECOME QUITE STRONG AND GUSTY.
      LOCAL SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 15 TO 30 CM ARE QUITE POSSIBLE IN
      SNOW SQUALLS BY TUESDAY MORNING.

A COMBINATION OF THE DANGEROUS SNOW SQUALLS WITH EXTREME WIND
      CHILLS OF MINUS 35 TO MINUS 40 WILL PRODUCE FREQUENT BLIZZARD
      CONDITIONS THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.  FREQUENT TO WIDESPREAD
      VERY LOW TO NIL VISIBILITIES WITH NEAR WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE
      EXPECTED ESPECIALLY IN EXPOSED AREAS DURING THE SNOW SQUALLS.

THE COMBINATION OF A FRESH HEAVY SNOWFALL FROM LAST NIGHT'S
      STORM WITH INTENSE SNOW SQUALLS TODAY WITH BITTER WIND CHILLS

POSES A LIFE-THREATENING RISK FOR ANYONE OUTSIDE FOR ANY
      DURATION, OR STRANDED IN VEHICLES IF ROADS BECOME SNOW-BLOCKED.
      TRAVELLERS NEED TO ENSURE THEY HAVE AN ADEQUATE CAR EMERGENCY
      KIT AND AMPLE FUEL IF TRAVELLING ANY DISTANCE.

THE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WILL SLOWLY EASE SOMEWHAT ON TUESDAY
      ALTHOUGH THE SNOW SQUALLS AND BLOWING SNOW ARE LIKELY TO
      CONTINUE IN MANY AREAS.

:o first one in 20 years for many of these areas.

WWCN11 CWTO 061003

SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 5:03 AM EST MONDAY 6 JANUARY 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

BLIZZARD WARNING FOR:

I was just going to post that, how awesome  :thumbsup: . Its the first time I've ever been under a blizzard warning officially!!  :D I do wonder if its proper considering its lake effect and not a system snow but the conditions will be the same so I side with EC. I just hope it pans out, don't let me down now Lake Huron...

I don't really know how much snow I got but I assume 20 cm as forecast. Snow pack is largest since 2007-2008 winter season.

Nice pictures from the D Ithielz!

Had 0.4" of fluffy snow overnight so storm total was 9.9", snow depth 17". There is some drifting obviously but it actually wasnt as bad as I thought it was. Its absolutely gorgeous outside and the snow is DEEP and heavy powder. Cannot wait to see what kind of potential we have down the road with this base. Total liquid equivalent was 0.88".

DTW finished with a storm total of 10.6"...so a 10.6" (ties for 23rd largest) and 11.1" (tied 19th largest) storm in the same week. Impressive, and only the 2nd time on record two 10"+ storms occurred in the same week (Feb 28-Mar 5, 1900 being the other, although those storms were more impressive at 16.1" and 14.0").

The 11.6" snowstorm that lasted 48 hours earlier in the week had 0.64" water in it (plus 0.07" water in the 1.4" appetizer snow early NYE). This shorter duration 9.9" snowstorm with 0.88" water had MUCH worse road conditions...both times were bad, but last night roads were literally impassable as I kept getting stuck. I have to go to work but with no plow yet, to be honest I wouldnt be surprised if I cant get out of the driveway.

Just watched a couple plows go down the main road to my neighborhood. Completely drifted over out in the open areas, and it looks like a plow already went through this morning.

Actually had my driveway all cleaned up last night.. This morning it's nearly drifted over again..

Archived