Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter

Reb

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, DT is pissed!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/wxriskcom/al-roker-please-shut-up/629273747119887

AL ROKER ... and TWC / ( The weather channel ).... Just incompetence day after day.

SEE ESSAY BELOW

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/01/06/22198103-brutally-cold-polar-vortex-bears-down-on-east-coast-freezes-train-for-9-hours#comments

I suppose it is difficult for some of you to grasp  WHY    this   big deal.    But I hope that when you view the video at the LINK above...   you will begin to see what irks so many professional meteorologists.   Think about your work.  Think about the field or the thing that you do professional or even a part time level.  How would you like it    lots of folks  thought that you and or anybody in your company or field   was  incompetent or inept because somebody else screwed up?

The Polar  vortex is not the arctic hurricane.  It is not that ... not in  any way ...shape ...or form.  But the presentation of the PV   in this  " news / weather  " video    speaks to several important  issues.    First it is clear that  TWC is dumbing this  down to convey information to people rather than actually using real science.  Second it becomes equally obvious that it is for this reason that the awful.. pitiful  ..and wretched Weather Channel has gone out of its way to hire scientifically inept clowns and  fool's like Al Roker  and San Champion.  

But there is  another aspect to meteorology which is unique all the sciences.  And it is this unique and singular aspect of meteorology which greatly impacts how people perceive  the science.  The unfortunate truth is that millions of Americans actually think or view The Weather Channel as a source of hard science an accurate weather forecasting.

It is  neither.  

Forecasting weather impacts everybody's lives   and it does so every day.  On a personal level ...on a organizational level and on  a business level.  Because of this there are number of sources that supply weather information to the public through some sort of intermediary or third party.  And that creates the problem which is unique to the science of meteorology.  How one communicates accurate weather information to  the public .

This is not a problem which exists in the field of astronomy or medicine...  Astrophysics...  Geology ..anthropology... etc etc.

You can get  weather information/ forecasts  from your rock and roll FM station.  You can get it from facebook pages    that are run by high school students who wish to play Joe Bustardi or  Jim Cantore.  You can get your weather information from  AM news  radio  which often  use  talking heads which say they are meteorologists from the weather channel when in fact they are  just radio personalities.  All of these different sources always bring a degradation of the weather information/ forecast.

Which leads to the  MAIN and final point here in my little rant.  Millions of Americans believe that  ' THEY" never get it right....  with the term " they "  being   forecasters//meteorologists.  And that perception often comes through these third party sources....  or through the mainstream or social media which use the individuals who are not qualified to forecast  their way out of a paper bag. The result is that it impacts us . 

Take the January 2 third Northeast US snowstorm.  In all three of my forecasts I had Southern New Jersey in the 4-8" snow band  and at one point  I had the   8-12"   area almost as far south as Trenton and Wrightstown NJ.  BUT... many of the TV forecasts and Southern New Jersey unusually cold four  only 1-2"  then 2-4"  the morning of January 2 which is upgraded that evening to more significant snowfall . The result of this is that there were many people in southern  and central NJ who were pretty upset about what they consider to be late or busted weather forecast that underplayed the snow and the wind. 

Some of  these   folks have posted on my face book page complaining  about the  BUSTED  forecasts and wondering  ..."why  ALL of you never seem to get it right..." In other words I am taking  ****  for someone else's screw up.

Think about that for second. 

How would you like it if ...day after day ...week after week... month after month  other folks kept blaming  you for somebody else's screw up?  And they kept on blaming  YOU   becuase their soruces of information  are  not only less skilled  then you are ...  but  they are not even competent at a basic level .    Even worse   some   of them end  up  asserting that EVERYONE  in your field / profession   is incompetent.I would think it would make you pretty darn angry.

One of the most intriguing games I have seen in a while.  I sat in Neyland and watched Auburn run all over Tennessee this year.  I told the Auburn guys that I was sitting with that Auburn would beat Bama if they played the same way in the Iron Bowl.  They are the fastest team I have ever seen in Neyland.  Rocket and Notre Dame in the early 90s is the second fastest team.  Oregon right behind those two.  FSU is a bit unproven if you can call it that.  Auburn has been very fortunate.  I will take Auburn by a TD, but would not be surprised to see FSU win as well.  Auburn can't pass well, and FSU has more team speed on the D-line than the Tigers have seen all year.   But, Auburn on the offensive edge is incredible.  If the tackles set the edge for Auburn, the backfield is full of raw speed.  Should be a blast.  Probably one of the few times it won't hurt too bad to see either team win. 

Where did that Auburn fan go?

He's looking at the Euro Control for an instant replay! Just kidding! Great game by Auburn

What a game! One of the best.

These college football games keep getting better! Great way for the BCS to go out on top, makes you forget about all the bad times. Congrats to FSU and go ACC!

Does it tick anyone else off to see a "perfect" southern apps track from a Miller A coming out of the gulf with cold air no where in sight?  It irritates me b/c with cold air around the track has been TX to Ohio all year.................

LOL I just posted about that in the other thread.

Edit:  Yesterday's 12z had one hitting some cold air and giving East TN/North SC/West NC a decent fantasy storm.  Some of the GEFS members have been nice eye candy as well.  The potential is there I suppose.

Archived